General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedar Hill, Texas
United States
Rotary Club of Cedar Hill
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 59m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We got there *way* early because we expected a longer pre-registration process(with a wait & such) but there wasn't a line or anything. As a result we had about an hour to get ready, so I did my usual stretching.
Bike
  • 3h 59m 51s
  • 65.5 miles
  • 16.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't sure if I'd do the 41 or the 64 mile route before starting, but somewhere around 25 miles in we hit the fork and I decided to follow Karen on the 64 mile route. I did well for the first ~40 miles, but sometime around mile 43-44 I ran out of steam something fierce. I don't know why it happened, it could have been the humidity that sapped me earlier than expected. I did a solid job of taking in food at rest stops and on the road so I don't think that was the problem, and though I could have drank more fluids I wasn't really dehydrated either. I think I just hit my limit for the day.

I dropped down from 17-18mph to 14-15mph and rarely came out of the smaller chainring(I have a double, not a triple) for the last 20 miles. I hit some really low points in the next 10 miles and at one point got so fed up with myself that I started cussing like a sailor with a bad case of Tourette's. Karen had been pretty patient with me(sometimes I think she should be sainted) so I pushed ahead of her to save her from having to deal with my mental state. For the next 4-5 miles I was unyielding in my foul language(75% of which was directed at the hills, 20% at myself, and 5% at this jackass on a nice road bike who wasn't wearing a helmet on the aforementioned highway) and I pushed through until I started feeling cramps coming on. Thankfully - and this was the best moment of the ride - at the 50 mile rest stop they had a group of chiropractors & physical therapists who had shaded spots where they helped work out some of my cramping. Karen showed up a couple minutes later and got worked on a little as well, but I needed some serious work on the quads & hamstrings. The girl that worked on me was an angel for getting my legs back to a serviceable place.

Side note: For probably the first time ever, I was referred to as 'flexible' by a physical therapist. I guess the stretching has paid off, because most times they're amazed at how tight all my muscles & tendons are.

Anyway, we headed out and eventually got back to the stadium where it all started. I was pretty much a bag of goo for the rest of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. There wasn't anything obviously wrong with my preparation and I've done rides that long before without running out of gas so early, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Maybe it just wasn't my day.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate hot dogs and tried not to pass out driving Karen home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The lack of a 2-stroke engine probably kept me from really flying.

Event comments:

Some rest areas were better stocked than others. None of them were poorly stocked mind you, but the 20 mile stop was the only one with fresh watermelon & bottles of pickle juice. The 50 mile stop was the only one I noticed with any sort of medical station. Plus, the 50 mile stop was icing down paper towels so they were handing out cold towels that you could cool off with(this was the 2nd best thing about that stop behind the PTers). For the first year, this event wasn't bad. If they make a few adjustments it could be one of the better rides in the area.

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Biking
03:59:51 | 65.5 miles | 16.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was decent. Some of the chip seal roads were rough and the choice of roads was a little suspect - I didn't personally like riding solo on a 2-lane highway with 18-wheelers passing within a few feet of me - but overall it was your usual Texas country road experience.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill

2007-05-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: #798768

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill
Great job out there! It was a hard ride. You did wonderfully!

2007-05-14 2:28 PM
in reply to: #798768

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Great job,, it was a humid weekend with really high pollen counts,, I couldn't even get out of bed on saturday without hacking up a lung. so don't be so hard on yourself

you might want to take a mini recording to perserve those rants,, then in the future you can just hit play and not waste your breath

gary
2007-05-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #800074

User image

Pro
Texas
Gaarryy - 2007-05-14 2:28 PM

Great job,, it was a humid weekend with really high pollen counts,, I couldn't even get out of bed on saturday without hacking up a lung. so don't be so hard on yourself

you might want to take a mini recording to perserve those rants,, then in the future you can just hit play and not waste your breath

gary

I'm not sure the FCC would allow me to post it anywhere for public consumption. I'd make Andrew Dice Clay blush.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed