5 Stary Century Series
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a PB&J sammich before I left at about 5:30AM.
Event warmup:

All I did was get registered, grab my maps, and hit the road as quick as I could.
Bike
  • 5h 25m 25s
  • 101 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

It started off as a gorgeous morning without a cloud in the sky, and a predicted high of about 78 degrees. Perfect scenario. I stood in line to get registered and then hit the road right away after loading myself up with food and fuel.
As soon as I set off with a couple other people, myself and another guy named Randy teamed up and shared the drafting privledges. Our pace over the first 40 miles was a blistering 21 mph. We hit a rest stop at about 27mi but there was no food there yet, so we stretched really quick and then got back out there to cover some miles. The advantage we had by starting so early was that it was still very cool out, and the winds weren't as powerful as they would get to be later.
We would cruise at a good pace anytime the wind would allow, and we would back it off a bit when we turned into the headwinds or very strong crosswinds. Eventually a pace-line overtook us. Y'know, hotshot guys that don't talk to other people, and are "too cool for school." that group got back to start a few minutes before Randy and I did. they were already eating lunch when we went in after completing the first 65 mi loop.
My legs were toasted at that point, and desperately needed a break. My previous longest ride was 3 weeks ago and totalled 55 miles. I was in uncharted territory now, and I was feeling the burn! Lunch was really good, and was much-needed. We sat aroundlistened to the hot-shot guys bragging about their speeds, and "getting gapped" and catching drafts of passing trucks on the hi-ways. It was annoying.
So, rejuvinated and excited to finish it up, we headed out on the last loop after a very brief lunch rest. We were really hitting it pretty hard at the get-go, but it was unsustainable. Randy cautioned that he would need to stop and stretch every 10 minutes or so. Our pace slowed considerably at that point, and my quads were really burning. They NEVER got a rest because the entire course was very very flat and the winds were pretty nasty a lot of the time. This whole ride took place in a flood-plain, so while it's flat, it is also very susceptible to unblocked wind.
Once again, the paceline overtook us, pretty easily this time, around mile 75. i knew there was a rest stop coming up at 82mi so I took stock of my fuel and decided I could probably do without the rest. I really wanted to get home as fast as possible at this point. I knew that I could convince my body to anything for an hour, no matter what the circumstance, so I kicked into race gear and bid farewell to my riding buddy, Randy. He wished me good luck.
I came up to the rest stop and saw all the guys who had just passed me, taking a break. My mind was definitely made up. I would press on. And I did! I took another gel and caught a good piece of a tailwind and started to rock. My legs weren't burning any more. I felt strong. I pushed at 22-24mph for the next 8 miles or so. I was feeling awesome, and I could see the paceline chasing me not too far back.
At that point, I started thinking about what I should do. Do I just relax the rest of the ride, try to ask them if I can hop on the back for the last 8 miles, or fight them off? I chose "fight them off." At all costs. I turned back into the wind but increased my effort to make up for it. I knew those guys were wondering why they couldn't catch me. The winds were pretty intense now, making it very tough on a solo rider out on the flats.
Let the head-games begin. I was onstantly calculating what pace i would need to keep so that I could beat that group to the finish. It kept me busy so that i wasn't thinking about how hard my heart was beating or how much my legs were aching. All the way back to the starting point, I held them off. I should have been able to just ride my ride and not worry about "beating" anybody anywhere, but my competitive side kicked in and I felt the need to really empty the tank. I really didn't even think I had more in the tank, so I was pretty excited about the finishing effort I was able to give.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a drink at the finish and got my picture taken, stretched a bit, then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Never having ridden nearly that far, nearly that fast ever before.

Event comments:

I am really happy that I "went for it." I would try this again also. but I would anticipate it being even harder. I had ideal weather for this, and I'll admit it, it was as flat as advertized.

Last updated: 2007-05-13 12:00 AM
Biking
05:25:25 | 101 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HRM failed to register my HR all day. I was bummed, because that's how I gauge my effort and fitness level. So I just had to go by feel.
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops around St.Charles County.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Indian Crossing Century

2007-05-14 7:28 PM
in reply to: #798914

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Indian Crossing Century

You are nuts... and you best have showered your amazing wife with love to let you do this with a newborn in the house! I have no doubts you gave her a spectacular mothers day.

I digress...Great job on the century! I hope you knee held up ok!

2007-05-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: #798914

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Indian Crossing Century
Nice!!!

I probably saw you somewhere...I was doing a very slow ride around St. Peters/St. Paul area.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indian Crossing Century Rss Feed