BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-08-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #801902

User image

Pearland, TX
Subject: RE: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed
You've been spending too much time in hospitals this year!  I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.  I know that's been hard.  Your year is definitely scheduled for an upswing.  I'll be doing the Longhorn Tri Oct. 6 (Olympic Distance).  If you do the HIM on the 7th, I'll come cheer you on.  Should be a good race.  It's a similar course to Danskin.  Some really KILLER hills, but you feel like a champion after you get through them.  The water's not bad, either.  Also, wetsuits will be allowed & they'll have wetsuit strippers.  Not sure if you've had that before.  I tried that for the first time at the LoneStar Tri (same organizers) in April and it's GREAT!  No more awkward wetsuit dance in transition waving your arms & legs around trapped in neoprene like a psycho octopus.  Just hang on to your shorts & they rip it off for you.

2007-08-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: #925963

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Well, then I will try to make it down to Austin for the race. I guess I could do the Olympic if I'm not ready for the HIM. I think I need to start looking for a wetsuit. I need to buy one for the Ironman next year anyway.

Good luck in your training, and hope to see ya in a couple of months.
2007-08-15 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hey there Derek and Jamie! Good to see you both back again.  Sorry to hear your Mum, Derek. It must be very hard for you at the moment. *hugs*

I've got 3 races under my belt and Sunday will be #4 then next Saturday I have one too. I have to admit that I feel really burned out with work and training. I am not getting home till at least 9 at night, eating and hitting the hay afterwards.  My house looks like a bomb hit it because I am the only that will do laundry, make beds and empty the dishwasher (That's a whole other thread) so come the weekend I have THAT to do and exercise. I asked my boss for Monday off which thankfully she gave me.  So that'll be spent sitting on my arse eating bon bons.

2007-08-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: #927205

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Good luck on your race this weekend. Hope you do well. I can't believe the summer is almost over. My kids start school next week, and only a couple more months of tri's.
2007-08-20 10:42 AM

User image

Pearland, TX

I can't believe it -- I placed 3rd in my age group this weekend!  That's a first for me, and I'm convinced it's because the swim was only 300 meters.  (I still sucked at the swim & wound up sidestroking it.)  Here's a pic of me with my finisher's cup.  I'm going to wallow in this for a while, because I doubt it will ever happen again, but it's definitely a career highlight for me.  I'm starting to think I should just give up on being a good swimmer and focus on races with super-short swims.

(ironbabes-comp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ironbabes-comp.jpg (19KB - 59 downloads)
2007-08-20 3:21 PM

User image

Brookfield
Congratulations Jamie that's awesome. Great Finish! I was on vacation last week in Door COunty. I got a few runs in while up there. I rode this weekend with my normal weekend group ride and ended up taking a really nasty fall about 35 miles into a 40 mile trek. I shredded my entire left side and bruised my ribs. My wounds semm to be healing nicely but my ribs are very sore. I had an Oly planned for Sept. 8th but I don't know if I'll be able to compete. What a bummer. I have been working all summer for this final event and know it looks like I won't be able to race. I'm totally bummed!

2007-08-20 4:56 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
I'm so sorry!!!  That's so miserable when you are focused on a goal and an injury stops you.  I hope you heal up quickly.  Will you be able to do any training while you heal, or is it 100% rest until you get better?  Our little training group seems to keep slimming down!
2007-08-20 8:02 PM
in reply to: #933125

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Well Jamie great race and getting some hardware is even better.

Mike, sorry to hear about your crash and welcome to the club. I'm glad you are OK, and hope you are back out training sometime soon. It hurts even worse knowing you may miss an upcomming race, but at least you now have the tri-bug, so you'll be doing races for a while now.

Jamie, I actually ran in Houston tonight. I'm down here in the hospital district by Rice Univ. doing some training. Very nice area to run in, even though it is a little more humid than I'm used to.
2007-08-21 8:36 AM

User image

Pearland, TX
Cool!  Yes, the trail around the university and the park is excellent & mostly shaded.  You can smell all of the zoo animals really well as you go by the zoo, but I still highly recommend continuing on around the golf course.  Are you in for business, or do you have another sick family member?  I hope all is well.
2007-08-21 8:46 PM
in reply to: #933871

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
I'm in town for business, and will be headed home on Thursday. I'm just glad the hurricane decided not to come this direction. That would have made getting home a little difficult.
2007-08-26 8:48 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
Just decided to stay in town for the holiday weekend, so I signed up for a sprint tri in Galveston.  Anyone else racing or otherwise doing something fun for the holiday weekend?

2007-08-28 1:52 PM

User image

Brookfield
I stopped feeling sorry for myself, got off my depressed butt and ran yesterday. I won't lie, it didn't feel good my ribs are still very sore. However, I made it 3.5 miles at about a 10 minute clip and it helped mentally. I'm going to get back on the horse that threw me this week and try to get a short slow swim in.

Coul have ben much worse and hey I'm working out a week later.
2007-08-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: #944303

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Hey I'm glad your getting back on that horse. Sometimes the mental aspects of crashing are worse than the physical ones. Your body will heal over time, but sometimes the mental part takes the longest. Have fun and enjoy yourself, and keep us updated.
2007-08-29 9:04 AM

User image

Pearland, TX
Bravo for getting back out there!  10 min pace sounds good to me.  I hope the swim goes well & isn't uncomfortable.  You'll be back to your old self in no time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11