BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-05-18 1:10 PM
in reply to: #801902

User image

Pearland, TX
Subject: RE: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - OPEN
I'm way down the road in Houston, but I'm thinking about doing a Dallas area event this year. Y'all seem to have more events than we do. Any recommendations?

2007-05-18 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Ironhead race productions has some nice races. Here is there link.

http://www.ironheadrp.com/

They have a sprint on June 10th, Oly on July 15th and a HIM on September 9th, all out at Joe Pool lake which is just south of DFW. They also have some other races around the DFW area as well. All the Ironhead races are very well run events. I plan on doing the three events mentioned above as well. Hope to see you at an event.

Derek
2007-05-18 3:53 PM
in reply to: #806732

User image

Brookfield
Derek,

You sounded like such a nice guy until you mentioned the Cubs!

You should see Miller Park when the Cubs come to town, it's like Wrigley North! We'll see if the Brew Crew Bull Pen can hang on for the long run. Any time they put Derek Turnbow in for relief I get nervous. There's definitely a buzz about the team in town right now. This is the 25th anniversary of the 1982 World Series Team, maybe it could happen.

I think Pinnela's a little frustrated right now on the North Side of Chicago but he'll turn it around.

I'm going to jump on the bike tonight after work. We've got my sons' first little league game tomorrow morning, that should be hilarious. Sunday we'll be church, my long run for the week and a soccer game at 4.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2007-05-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: #806522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)

trymoretri - 2007-05-18 9:57 AM Are y'all still taking new members? I just joined BT and am enjoying getting involved. I've been training with a group by me in Texas, but we're breaking up after the Tri this Sunday, and I need to stay motivated. I'm turning 40 this year, so I just moved into the "Masters" category, which has really pushed me to get better. (I'm not one for aging gracefully -- I'm kicking & screaming the whole way!) I have two kids -- ages 10 & almost 5. Supportive husband who I finally dragged on the MS150 this year, but he's otherwise not into anything aerobic. I've got a great big mutt who also doesn't run more than a few yards. I was always the last kid picked for any sports team growing up, and I flunked the president's physical fitness test in high school because I couldn't run a mile in 12 minutes. I bought a bike in college and fell in love with it. I started running because I needed a cycling partner, and a runner I knew needed a running partner, so we helped each other out. I got into tri's in 1999 with the Danskin. It was a huge turning point for me in self-perception. However, I side-stroked every triathlon I tried until last year. Then I got coached in Total Immersion. It was like learning how to walk all over again. It still took a lot of practice, but like Drew, I kind of had a breakthrough one day. I went from sucking wind and splitting headaches after 300 meters to swimming a mile or more without much effort. I almost cried, I was so happy to finally feel like I "got it!" However, I'm still MUCH slower than I want to be. I also downright stink at transitions, so all tips are welcome.

Jamie, welcome to the group.  You are officially our last member.  I'm going to close the group.  I guess if someone really wants to join I have no qualms, but we've got a nice sized group so far. 

Do you have any specific races in mind for the summer after the tri this Sunday?  If so, what distance and when?

Good luck on Sunday! 

2007-05-18 4:52 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
Subject: RE: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed
My big race each year is Danskin-Austin June 10. It's just a Sprint, but the course is a killer. I really want to beat my 1999 time, but the swim is what keeps dragging me down. I've finally built up swim endurance and some basic form, but the speed isn't there yet. If I can get my speed up for that, I'm playing with the idea of my first Half Iron in November. I did my first Olympic in April at the Lone Star Tri with energy to spare. Just not sure I can fit the HIM training program into my life. For example -- missing the open water swim with my group tonight in favor of my daughter's Pre-K graduation.
2007-05-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: #807428

User image

Extreme Veteran

trymoretri - 2007-05-18 3:52 PM My big race each year is Danskin-Austin June 10. It's just a Sprint, but the course is a killer. I really want to beat my 1999 time, but the swim is what keeps dragging me down. I've finally built up swim endurance and some basic form, but the speed isn't there yet. If I can get my speed up for that, I'm playing with the idea of my first Half Iron in November. I did my first Olympic in April at the Lone Star Tri with energy to spare. Just not sure I can fit the HIM training program into my life. For example -- missing the open water swim with my group tonight in favor of my daughter's Pre-K graduation.

I love Olympic distance!  It's a blast.  I hear you on the swim.  I feel like I have a ton of room to improve in my speed in the water. 

2007-05-18 5:23 PM
in reply to: #807433

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Well I guess a lot of us are in same boat with the swim. I'll be doing my second triathlon on June 10th, but it will be my first in a lake. I've been working on the edurance part, I'm just waiting on the speed to kick in. I'm hoping to get some OWS in a couple of times before the big event.

2007-05-18 5:29 PM
in reply to: #807451

User image

Extreme Veteran

tri-golfer - 2007-05-18 4:23 PM Well I guess a lot of us are in same boat with the swim. I'll be doing my second triathlon on June 10th, but it will be my first in a lake. I've been working on the edurance part, I'm just waiting on the speed to kick in. I'm hoping to get some OWS in a couple of times before the big event.

Yeah, you'll want to get in a lake before doing the actual race OWS.  I actually like swimming in the open water more than in the pool.  I liken it to running outdoors vs. running on a treadmill.  It's a blast. 

2007-05-18 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
I hope your right. That what I love about living in the south. 12 months of the year of being able to ride and run outside(for the most part). There is a group doing an OWS next Saturday, so I've made plans to be there. I'm hoping it will be more fun than doing lap after lap in a 25yd pool.

2007-05-18 6:04 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I just want to say hi to everyone! Also I don't have internet at home so I'm not usually around on weekends.

Have a nice weekend everyone. I have a sprint tomorrow! So excited! Wohoo!
2007-05-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: #807490

User image

Extreme Veteran

ScotinSeattle - 2007-05-18 5:04 PM I just want to say hi to everyone! Also I don't have internet at home so I'm not usually around on weekends. Have a nice weekend everyone. I have a sprint tomorrow! So excited! Wohoo!

Good luck tomorrow!  

2007-05-18 6:11 PM
in reply to: #807490

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Good luck, and let us know how you did.
2007-05-18 6:46 PM

User image

NOVA

Good luck!!

Sorry, but what is OWS?

2007-05-18 6:58 PM
in reply to: #807523

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
OWS-Open Water Swimming. I've never done one. I'll get my first crack at it next Saturday. For the past 5 months all my swimming has been in a 25yd pool.
2007-05-18 8:43 PM
in reply to: #807532

User image

Extreme Veteran

tri-golfer - 2007-05-18 5:58 PM OWS-Open Water Swimming. I've never done one. I'll get my first crack at it next Saturday. For the past 5 months all my swimming has been in a 25yd pool.

Do you have a wetsuit?  If so, I would recommend soaking it in water for a bit before your first swim if you haven't been in it in water yet.  They're very easy to tear when they're bone dry.  However, if you have been in the water with your suit in the past few weeks, you should be fine; wetsuits keep a bit of moisture in them for up to weeks, even after laying them out to dry for a while.

2007-05-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: #807532

User image

NOVA

Thanks Derek, that will be the same with me - 25 yard pool to the Severn River and Chesapeake Bay.

Good luck next weekend! 

2007-05-18 9:22 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
I'm with Drew. Overall, I prefer open water, because it's not as boring. It's a VERY different sensation from pool swims, though, and you don't want your first experience to be during a race. Best insight I got to help me with OWS was that you'll feel the feet in front of you long before you actually hit another racer, so no sense losing speed to keeping your head up. Also, it won't kill you to get kicked or hit a little in the water. Every time someone touched me I'd immediately roll over onto my back and float, because I'd panic. (Kind of like those snakes that play dead when they're afraid!) This is the first season I've been able to swim along and not really care if I touched someone or they touched me while I was swimming. Of course, I still hang towards the outside of the pack, just because I prefer my own space.

- Jamie
2007-05-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #807603

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Drewwhite - 2007-05-18 8:43 PM

Do you have a wetsuit?  If so, I would recommend soaking it in water for a bit before your first swim if you haven't been in it in water yet.  They're very easy to tear when they're bone dry.  However, if you have been in the water with your suit in the past few weeks, you should be fine; wetsuits keep a bit of moisture in them for up to weeks, even after laying them out to dry for a while.

No I don't have a wetsuit as of yet, but this kind of advice is the exact reason I joined this group. I had no idea about the wetsuit holding a bit of moisture in them. I will definately remember that when I do buy one.

I wasn't going to buy one until later in the year, because all my races this year don't allow wetsuits. However I'm thinking about doing BSLT 70.3 on June 24th, and that race will be wetsuit legal. If I do end up doing that race, I'll probably rent one.

2007-05-18 9:44 PM

User image

NOVA
This might be a silly question, but if you wear a wetsuit for the swim, do you wear it through the rest of the race - I thought most races don't have "changing areas" and need the transition to be fast.  So if you do wear it through the rest of the race - how is that comfortable? and if you don't - where do you change?
2007-05-18 9:53 PM
in reply to: #807664

User image

Extreme Veteran

jeslin - 2007-05-18 8:44 PM This might be a silly question, but if you wear a wetsuit for the swim, do you wear it through the rest of the race - I thought most races don't have "changing areas" and need the transition to be fast. So if you do wear it through the rest of the race - how is that comfortable? and if you don't - where do you change?

This is a great question.  If you use a wetsuit in your race, which I recommend if you're swimming in the "open" water (lake, river, ocean), you remove the wetsuit after the swim.  Wearing a wetsuit isn't really too comfortable, and you would definitely ruin the suit if and overheat if you tried to bike and run with it.  Ideally, you're wearing a triathlon suit (tri suit) underneath the wetsuit.  Then, you actually don't need to worry about changing at all.  I have seen some women wear a bathing suit under their wetsuit and then just pull on a pair of shorts in the transition area before hopping on the bike.  The shorter races go by quickly enough to where there's not much time or need for changing.

2007-05-18 9:58 PM

User image

NOVA
That  makes sense, haha.  I will have to look into this - thanks, I'm glad I found this out now.

2007-05-19 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did my first OWS of the season early this morning.  I just wanted to leave you guys with a few tips that I remembered when getting back in the water.  I hope you find them helpful.

1. An extension of what I spoke about in a previous post (regarding soaking your wetsuit) would be to soak it a few days in advance in order to let the suit dry enough to make it easy to put on.  This morning, my suit was a bit wet because I had to soak it last night.  It was way too difficult to put on.  Normally, they should just go right on, even with the snug fit.

2. Make sure you know how to breathe out of both sides when swimming.  You're not necessarily going to do bilateral breathing, but depending on the sun, the chop of the water, and the course that you swim, you may be forced to breather from only one side.  You definitely do not want to toe the line at a race where you have to breathe on your "non-breathing" side!

3. Don't panic when you get in the water and can't see your hand when swimming.  Just remember that you have already done the time in the pool.  The only real difference is you can't follow the blue line at the bottom of the lake.

4. Practice sighting in the pool before you go out to the lake. 

5. Have fun out there and go back if your first swim wasn't as great as you hoped it would be.  You'll catch the OWS bug eventually!

2007-05-20 5:59 PM
in reply to: #807900

User image

Brookfield
Great advice all. I really appreciate it. I'm with Derek this is very helpful. Just waiting for the ice to melt then I'll be jumping in Open Water.

Are there specific Triathlon Wet Suits? Any recomendations?
2007-05-21 8:08 AM

User image

NOVA

Is it necessary to have a wetsuit for an OWS triathlon.  My race is Sept 9 in Annapolis and I was just curious as all of you are talking about wearing a wetsuit for your races - does it depend on time of the year or what type of water you are swimming in, or the length of the swim?

Oh and what is "sighting in the pool"

Edited by jeslin 2007-05-21 8:13 AM
2007-05-21 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I think sighting is looking forward? I'm not quite sure. I bought "sighting googles" from Speedo that are slanted at the top. I bought them to practice flip turns with (Before I got my contacts), they just made it easier to see straight in front of you without taking you entire head out of the water.

Thank you for all the wetsuit tips. I'm going to rent one for my 1st outdoor tri. In fact I'm going to rent one BEFORE my 1st OWS Tri to get a feel for it.

I bought a tri suit on Ebay for $40 and I tried it out at the weekend, even though the swim was in a pool I shaved a whole minute off of my T1 time and it was SO SO COMFY! I really recommend getting one. Ebay seemed to be the cheapest and it was a De Soto too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11