General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore & Annapolis Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Baltimore & Annapolis Trail Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log
Annapolis, MD
United States
www.annapolisstriders.org
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 45s
Overall Rank = 240/588
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before had a pasta dinner with Mike and Marty - friends running the race with me. Up early, before sunrise, drive to the start. Morning was very chilly, hard to decide what to wear for the race. Went with running shorts and long sleeve running shirt (turned out to be just right). Ate yougurt and a banana about 2 hours before race start. Poked around the runner vendor expo, bought a small belt to carry a few gel packs.
Event warmup:

15 minute stretch routine in the school
Run
  • 1h 50m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit too fast on the initial mile, had to relax a little bit. Started feeling stronger around miles 6-7, worked to negative split each mile from mile 8 to the finish. My only previous half marathon (in November) was 1:58, so I improved my time by over 8 minutes. Lots of long runs in January and February paid off big during this race.
What would you do differently?:

I would have run in my old shoes. The shoes I ran in only had about 10-15 miles on them, they were too new for a half marathon. As a result I had blisters on the inside arch of both feet. They hurt during the race, but I don't think they affected my speed. Just an annoyance.

I also would have carried fluid with me. The water stops on this course are 3 miles apart and I like to have better control over when and what I drink.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking the 1/2 mile back to the starting line. Light stretching. Most importantly, a Starbuck's mocha, skim, no whip.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I'm right where I should be. Still building base endurance on the run. Speed will come with increased aerobic endurance.

Event comments:

Good race overall. Timing is just right to keep one properly motivated to run through the coldest winter months.

Last updated: 2004-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 240/588
Performance: Good
Splits: -------- 42:26 at 5 mile marker; 25:23 for next 3 miles; 8:34 mile 9; 8:32 mile 10; 8:27 mile 11; 8:15 mile 12; 8:12 mile 13
Course: Mostly flat on the B&A trail. The 'hills' discussed in the pre-race literature were long but not very steep, did not present any problems at all. B&A trail is a 10-15 foot wide asphalt trail on a converted railroad bed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-15 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Baltimore & Annapolis Trail Half Marathon

2004-09-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #61914

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: An OLD race report
I just added this race report, even though I ran it way back in March 2004, to test out the new feature Ron added to the training logs that will allow me to import the run data into my training log. Please do not feel compelled to comment, unless you want to!

It was a great race, and the organizer (Annapolis Striders) always puts on a good run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore & Annapolis Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed