General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just back from Oz Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-19 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: Just back from Oz
Hi there. I've been living in Australia, where the year round training conditions are nothing short of spectacular. Even when it's "winter", it ain't bad. I got into triathlons down there and did several in a Gatorade sprint series. Now I'm back in Iowa, where it's currently something like -20 wind chill. The only one who's happy is my giant hairy dog. I'm trying to follow a more organized training schedule this year, but it's tough finding training partners and all the facilities seem very far away. I'm suffering Oz-withdrawal. I notice there are some other upper-midwesterners here. How do you handle winter training??

2004-01-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4257

Regular
South Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Just back from Oz
I don't know about the others here, but I just do what I am able to. And for myself there really isn't a excuse to slack off, since, I have a gym membership. There are also a couple of paved trails out here in the forest preserve for me when the weather is "bareable", to do some running on.

So what I am getting at is do what you are comfortable with. If you want to run/bike in -20 wind chill, then I'll be waiting in my car for you with a big glass of hot chocolate. ;-) Have fun. :-)
2004-01-19 6:11 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
its gonna make u stronger!!!  can't spend all your time in the land of milk and honey...u will get soft!
2004-01-19 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
I'm in Dubuque. We havent had much snow - so when it is above freezing, I get the old ace mask and head for our nature trail for the run. Y membership (new) will give me the swim part. Just got a nashbar mag trainer so I can do the bike stuff. I do most my running indoors right now - but I'm with Ron. Get out into the cold now and then - when you warm up it will feel good and your body will "remember" what it is like to look at trees and stuff when you do this sport

Do you have anyone to train or workout with? I do all my endurance stuff alone - but the strength training is in our university gym and the community there is really helpful. (Now if I can jsut find a tri training buddy)
2004-01-20 5:55 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Carrie! I can't help with the winter problems (from FL), but I have heard others talk about a trainer for their bike and watching movies while training. Is there any gym near by? Do you have a treadmill?
2004-01-20 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Thanks for all the feedback! I do have a gym membership, don't have a trainer or a treadmill, just some free weights and barbells. I've been trying to talk a few friends into doing their first tris - completely selfish, because I just want them to train with me! We get some tolerable running weather, and there are nice long dirt roads around here. I don't want to take my pretty new Terry bike out in all the salt and sand, so I should probably think about a trainer. What I'm really hoping for is a little snow so I can bust out the x-country skis again. We've only had a few days so far, but it was sweet. You don't get that in Oz!

I'm also thinking of checking out the tri club at UI - it's only a half hour away.

2004-01-20 3:01 PM

Regular
Ontario
I have spent all my life in "Northern Canada" having lived in Sudbury, Toronto and Montreal.
My two cents is to embrace the winter! I take this time to head indoors work on technique, flexablity and core strength.
There is nothing sweeter than that first long run or ride of spring!
2004-01-20 3:37 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hiya CTT, sorry I'm a bit late in saying hello. What brings you back to the US or should I ask what sent you down under int he first place? either way, nice to *see* you here.

2004-01-20 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Welcome Carrie!

LAYERS... it's all about layers, and clothes that are ready made for winter + exercising. I would say stick to whenever the day is brightest....between 2-4pm. Anything after that is to unmotivating for outside exercise. Your dog is the perfect excuse to do outdoorsy stuff- if he's out of shape- start training him slowly [just like you would a person, but i'm sure you knew that].

Indoor bike trainers, I hear are great- and treadmills..... the swimming part might be an issue. if the gym is too far away- check into any community college/ masters swim clubs that might be nearer to you....

good luck, i hope these have given you an idea or two.
2004-01-21 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4413

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Hi Ellen! I was working for the Federal Court of Australia as a law clerk. What an amazing place. I also learned to surf, but that's a little harder to keep up in Iowa.

I would love to train with my dog - in answer to what someone else said - but she happens to be a 12-yr-old Newfoundland. Newfies are magnificent, noble creatures, but they're definitely not distance runners. It would be like entering a Clydesdale in the Kentucky Derby. The best I could hope for would be that she would come rescue me from heatstroke with a barrel of PowerAde hanging from her neck. She also finds indoor exercising very worrisome. I think it disrupts her naps.

I've got layers covered! I grew up in Montana, so it's not so much how to keep warm that's giving me trouble, but how to train for this very summery sort of sport. It it were skiing that would be different, but since I have neither snow nor mountains here I'm at a bit of a loss.
2004-01-21 7:54 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Oh you went to the dark side hey. I just moved to Melbourne mate and I'll give ya the tip, it aint warm here either yet. Send me back to Brisbane any day. Good luck with your training

Craig

2004-01-21 7:55 PM

Veteran
Where were you in Aus

Craig

Edited by Craig O 2004-01-21 7:57 PM
2004-01-22 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4544

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I was in Melbourne, living in South Yarra. I went through Brisbane but didn't get to see much of it. Spectacular country you have up there, but Melbourne's an excellent city. My gym (*with pool*) was a block away, there are killer cycling tracks everywhere plus Beach Road, and a giant tri club with professional coaching. Have you hooked up with the club yet?

Edited by CLLinIA 2004-01-22 5:30 AM
2004-01-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4562

Veteran
Havent hooked up with a club yet, just started back at work and getting the "New year feel " for it. Im looking at joining the Nudawating Tri club, its fairly big and not far from here.

Craig
2004-01-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4631

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Is that Nunawading? The one I trained witha little was Melbourne Tri Club. It was affiliated with CBD Cycles downtown, so you could also tell them at races because everyone had CBD kit. I eventually decided their whole program was too expensive and joined a separate swim squad and cycled and ran with friends. In retrospect I probably should have sucked it up and done the full-on club training because they had very good coaching and I have nothing like that here. I am too damn cheap for my own good.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just back from Oz Rss Feed