Bismarck Triathlon
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 53s
Overall Rank = 2/46
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 8:30am Ate 2packets of Great Value Maple & Brown sugar oatmeal. Drank glass of grape juice,Drank 5 cups of coffee. Played with dogs. 9:30am Stretched for 20 minutes. Noon ate 4 squares of dark chocolate Drank one can of Redbull
Event warmup:

Arrived at Misty Waters approx. 12:15, Registered for race, Unloaded gear, Checked bike over. Put bike and gear bag by bike rack transition area. Since I wasn't the early bird I was the farthest away from the exit from the transition zone. Talked to people in the transition zone. Andy Smith, 50 state club guy showed up to time me, thanks Andy. Theresa showed up to see my new wetsuit for the first time.
Swim
  • 10m 9s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st mass start OWS, 46 people 44 individuals & 2 team swimmers, Got clobbered at start. Kicked in face & goggles. drafted behind good swimmer for about 230 meters when he decided to Breast stoke caught good kick in the nose. had to side stroke for awhile. made the turn but lost my draft zig zagged into marker bouy. Kicked & swam as hard as I could. 1st time I had gone past lactate threshold swimming. The wetsuit made a huge difference. I did not worry one second about drowning or keeping my butt from dragging.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more swimming, Work on getting out front to avoid the beating at the start. Learn to breath from both sides of my body. Drafted after the turn around also.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I was wheezing and had poor balance coming out of water, walked & slow jogged to bike rack, had problem pulling zipper down on wetsuit, dried of feet put on helmet, bike shoes, sun glass & bike jersey. At a chocolate
Gu washed it down with Gatorade. Jogged bike through the transition timer. Hopped on bike had problem snapping shoes into pedals.

Get to race early to grab a closer spot to race course, Probably could have saved 10 seconds, 3 steps in in road bike shoes compared to 10yards. Drink water instead of Gatorade. Work on getting out of wetsuit.
Bike
  • 34m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Had strong tail wind leaving transition area. Passed several riders, After turn around, started to day dream. Woke up when I saw Relay team rider catching me fast.

Work on bike setup. Cannot get enough air leaning over aero-bar, Rode on very front part of my seat.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Ran without socks,

Get closer position to the race course. Even though I really wasn't very far from the closest position to the course realizing your farthest away stinks.
Run
  • 20m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran hard to pass 4 runners ahead of me. Passed them slowed back down to comfortable pace. Got discouraged when I saw leader coming in to far ahead to close gap. Really got discouraged when I saw Relay team runner who I thought I could pass was M.J. who I had only beaten once in my life. Ran steady until Mario's girlfriend yelled Go Mario Go. Had to kick it down & suffer for last 3 hundred yards HRM rate 184 when I looked down.

Try to keep up pace even when field is spread out. Need to work on speed that I've lost over nine years of inactivity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked Jogged over to water aid station. Put gear into car. Drove to Rhame to work.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over tired after swimming so hard. Bike position made hamstring & gluts really tired for run. Need more training but can only increase slowly so far.

Event comments:

Lots of beginners at race. Course well marked by Dennis K of Frontier Precision, http://www.frontierprecision.com/,Course well sheltered & flat. Even though this is my first Triathlon I am guessing this is a great course to go for a PR on. Narrow sheltered bay for swimming, small transition area, roads smooth & flat.

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:09 | 547 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 14/46
Performance: Good
Suit: fulllenght wetsuit
Course: Straight out and back, Misty Waters Bay, Very Narrow and well sheltered. Lots of big yellow markers & one red one at the turn.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:32 | 12.43 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Overall: 2/46
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat out & back to Double Ditch Park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:54 | 03.11 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 3/46
Performance: Average
Course: Out & back around Misty Waters Housing development.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes