Fort Wayne Track Club
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 16s
Overall Rank = 216/234
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

None, really. Drank a Propel slowly & took two Advil about 45 minutes prior to start. Had a Just Plain Gu about 10 minutes prior to start, washed it down with the last of my Propel.
Event warmup:

Ran around the parking lot, maybe 1/2 mile or so, just to get things going. Good thing, because it made me realize I needed to go to the bathroom ahead of time -- I probably would've wet my pants otherwise!
Run
  • 32m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Should've worn the Camelback, I might have felt better that way...I was fine the first lap around, the water station was there & water was plentiful. The second time around, however (1.5 miles later), there were no more cups & so the kiddos manning the station offered to douse us in H2O. No thanks. So, I had none. Only .60 left though, so I thought I could do it. I took only two sips at the first station because I thought I had to put the cup back on the table & didn't want to stop to drink. After I put it down, I ran on to see the TONS of cups littering the ground before me. Oh well, I'll know next time -- I didn't have the luxury of water stations at my last race, or I would've known for this one! Eric joined me at about .30 left & gave me a sip of water. That was nice, but I really needed a lot & didn't want to stop to get it. Couldn't let Wendy beat me...I'd started the race (unknowningly) with my left shoelace untied. I have LaceLockers, thankfully, so it just slapped around the entire time. When I reached about 2.25, I had heard enough of it (and of people telling me about it!), so I stopped to tie it. Big mistake. I walked for .10 after that. Ran to catch up with Wendy & then passed her a couple of times, slowed down a couple of times & then when Eric met me with the water, I slowed enough to run with her (I was exhausted by this point, so going slow was my only option). We got to the end of the two main laps & she said, "You ready?" As if I could sprint at this point...I said, "Not until the corner," but then when she took off, I did too -- like I said, I couldn't let her beat me! I ran as hard as I ever have & tied her.
What would you do differently?:

Train in the hot, sweaty sun if I'm going to be running the race in the hot, sweaty sun. It was a HUGE difference. I should never have stopped to tie my shoe. I ran the majority of the race with it untied, I should have finished it that way. Marcy finished 24 seconds ahead of me because of it -- we had been running together. I think I could've stayed with her if I wouldn't have stopped -- maybe not though, she was really on fire!
Post race
Warm down:

I was dying. Thought I would puke when the lady was taking the chip off my ankle. They handed me a bottle of water, I drank some, grabbed a banana & walked around a bit. Then I sat down, ate the banana & drank the water slowly. Felt much worse than the 10k, but that's probably because I had a cramp near the end & walked it off, then ran only the ver end. This race though, I didn't walk except after tying my stupid shoelace. Again, I shouldn't have stopped. I felt like total CRAP. Totally broken down. Totally spent. Totally exhausted. Totally done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, sun glaring down on me. Yuck. Glad I wore my Maui Jim's though -- Eric tried to talk me out of it...but they're called "Sport Titanium" so I figured they wouldn't slide off. They hug my head, so I hoped they would hold up for the race -- they were perfect, so glad I had them.

Event comments:

Glad I finished only 1:16 over goal. This just tells me that I will be able to kick butt next year when I weigh 14 pounds less! Just imagine! :) I hope so at least! Fun race overall, it was great to do it with friends, we went to dinner & drank beer afterward. The next day was awesome too -- the Colts beat the Titans 34-17, which made up for last week & made it a great finish to the weekend.

Last updated: 2004-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:16 | 03.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 216/234
Performance: Average
Course: Around Dupont Hospital twice, with added legs by Raymond James & by another building which I didn't recognize. Uphill at finish line...very mild inclines throughout race just before the first mile (which I passed twice, but it was like 2.5 miles the second time around, due to the extra legs). Entire course was on hot asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2.0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes