General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ortonville, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up about 3 or 4 hours early, ate some and then drove to race site. Nothing fun
Event warmup:

Just getting into the wetsuit :) Met Lizard13 and her husband and puppy and Sushigirl to.
Swim
  • 29m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I dont really care that I was 3/4 in my age group here on the swim, it was a improvement for me and a good placing in the overall female rank. Actually overall to I think it was pretty good, 55/124 for all oly athletes,. So I consider that good, and I needed one of the 3 disciplines to be good today! We went out and I hung in there pretty well, and within the first 2 buoys we ran into the slower males in front of us, so the rest of the time was spent dodging some males, and trying to do better at keeping my breathing pattern this race. It was off the last race. This one felt a little better though at least. The weeds were there today for the oly course, tried not to get them in my mouth
What would you do differently?:

Still need to stay in a straight line better!
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

NOthing too much to report here, other then me trying to step on my wetsuit to get the legs off over the timing chip and wiping out :) Liz saw that and at least we had a good laugh. Next time Ill uhhh sit down

I dunno, transition times, I havent paid too much attention to them yet this year.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Got started on the bike with my training partner Sue, and Lizard13 right by me. The bike on the way out, fun. 39.5mph down the first hill, and probably averaged 18-19mph the rest of the first 12 miles. Then at the turnaround I knew the way back would be fairly difficult based on speed on the way out. I brought 2 gels and a bottle of water, i think i could have done something else to for a hotter hilly run to follow, but I still am messing with that. So anywyas, the big fun hill on the way out we had to do on the way back, and I would have been a-ok with having a third ring like on my road bike for that :) But I made it ok with the two, and killed the legs a little. I think they may have been a little ehhh still from last weeks long hill-fest and a couple good rides this week. Who knows.

Im jus tnot that strong on the bike, but it looks like i was average with everyone else, so I'll take it
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Nothing special.
Run
  • 1h 04m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I have never ran a 10k in a race, or triathlon at that slow of a pace. Granted its not too much more under 10 minute miles, but not over. So I defenitly blew up on the run today. I was a little sore off the bike, and I could tell I wasnt doing something right with nutrition. But I plodded along. Nothing big until about mile 2, or 2.5, then we turn a corner and it was about 2 miles out and back of hills. I actually walked a little on a couple, which after my Whidbey Island half mary and how awful hilly it was, I thought Id be alright on hilly runs now. :) I was hot, and hurting, but in I plodded. I did see Liz again at the turnaround, and asked her where my beer was. we were talking about getting beer at the time and it sounded like a good thing to say other then the typical "good job" I kept saying to everyone

I need to stop running in the morning I think. I dont think its been too efficient for me.. one to get used to the heat, and two, its just on flat roads around my house. And I just dont wake up enough to get much of a quality workout in. I feel like Im getting slower right now on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and ate

Event comments:

I dont think this course was above my ability, I think that it was difficult, but I should have done better.

Last updated: 2007-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:41 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle course 2 laps
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:58 | 24.85 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 4/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:15 | 06.21 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, mostly dirt road, rolling hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-16 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-06-16 6:03 PM
in reply to: #847092

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance

That last hill on the bike was a killer!

2007-06-16 6:05 PM

User image

T1
Nice job! You should be proud of yourself, and that is a great swim! I hate it when the bike is easy first leg and hard the second.

Congrats on a great race!
2007-06-16 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Way to go!!  You held tough, nice swim!!  I'm so impressed with you Oly gang today, that looks so tough!
2007-06-16 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Nice Work!!

Seems like you navigated the bike well!!  Give yourself credit!!   I did this race (oly distance) a few yrs ago so I know all about THE hill and the other hill! 

I uh, also bonked on the run during that dirt run out-and-back.   Oh well.

Great swim split!!  I agree 3/4 doesn't do your time justice!!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed