General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I've never done anything like this... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-01 9:14 AM

New user

Subject: I've never done anything like this...
They say that if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get the same result. Right? So finally I've decided, with my husband's urging, to try something completely different.

Hi, I'm Heather from Jacksonville, FL, and I've just recently started a newbie tri training program - I'm in week 5. I'm 48 lbs overweight, 36 years old, and I'm tired of feeling sick, tired, and fat. I want to be healthy! So my husband, who is very athletic and has done just about every sport under the sun, convinced me to give this a try. In the past year he's done a few races and loves it. I have to say that since I've started training I've really seen the weight loss increase (I was losing maybe .5 lb a week; in the past 2 weeks I've lost 5.6 lbs). I'm also doing Weight Watchers so I know I'm following a healthy eating plan.

My first race will be 8/16, Race #5 in the Lake Louisa Sprint Triathlon Series in Clermont, FL - 1/4 mile swim, 7 mile bike, 1.5 mile run. I think that's a realistic target for someone who has NEVER done anything remotely athletic before.

So anyway, I just wanted to say HI and I'm excited, nervous, and hopeful about this as a way to get healthier and lose weight. I hope to meet some great people here and get some motivation. Go Tri Newbies!

-Heather

2007-07-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: #867641

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: I've never done anything like this...
Heather - welcome to BT and congrats on making a decision to enjoy a healthier lifestyle!  You are going to love it!  I just did my first tri yesterday and I'm hooked now!  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  Enjoy the experience and keep us updated on your progress!  Good luck!
2007-07-01 11:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Welcome, Heather, and super good luck on your first tri!  BT is a very welcoming community and you have many fellow athletes working on and discussing weight/nutrition issues.  Yes, you are an athlete--you are training, aren't you?  And soon you'll be a TRIATHLETE (and probably a hopelessly converted addict, but it is in such a nice way!)
2007-07-01 7:48 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
New here too! Good luck to you!!!

I lost 30lbs on Weight Watchers and am still a Lifetime member (I still go to my meetings every week! Staying at goal weight is also hard work!!). After I got to goal, I needed another big goal to work towards (I do best with a real goal in mind - not just "I wanna be healthier forever" sort of mentality, which of course I do - but I fall off the wagon pretty easily with just that in my head!) so decided on the sprint triathlon that I'm doing on July 4th.

Your first race sounds like a great distance to start with! Good luck!! How's training going for you??

We're all here for ya! Sue Ellen

2007-07-01 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Way to set some healthy goals for yourself. You will love triathlon. It's great crosstraining, which keeps the workouts fresh and interesting.

your first race is a great distance. Train. Relax. And have a blast!

Greg
2007-07-02 7:25 AM

New user

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! Training is going really well. I'm realizing that it's more motivational, and it's easier for me to stick with it, when I have a specific goal in mind (instead of just "losing weight"). For example - yesterday's workout was a 20-minute run. Yesterday turned out to be a fairly busy day, and I was tempted to just blow it off, which I probably would have previously. But I told myself it was only 20 minutes, and if I didn't do it then I'd have to do it today, and I'd be a day behind. I'm so glad that I stuck with it!

Also - on a side note - I'm a much better swimmer than my husband so that's kind of nice, having something physical that I can do better than him.

2007-07-02 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Welcome Heather! Glad to hear training is going well.  Pretty soon it will be such a habit that you won't know what you did before tri training!  Have fun!
2007-07-02 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Welcome to BT and special props to your husband for being so supporting.  There are plenty of people here combining a tri-lifestyle with weight loss goals. 
2007-07-02 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Welcome to BT and special props to your husband for being so supporting.  There are plenty of people here combining a tri-lifestyle with weight loss goals. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I've never done anything like this... Rss Feed