Ironhead Race Productions
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 33s
Overall Rank = 18/244
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, since the drive to Denton is about an hour. Packed my bag the night before, so I just grabbed it along with a bagel w/ peanut butter and 16 oz of gatorade and took off. Stopped at a gas station on the way and picked up a 16 oz coffee and a 20 oz bottle of water. Meandered through Denton before I finally find the place. About 5:30 at this time, so I had plenty of time since transition didn't close until 6:30. Setup my area, and reverted back to my old thinking about how everybody here looks like such a better athlete than I do and they all have these sweet, sexy bikes. But thought back to my training, because I believe I've trained just as hard as anybody out here to become successful at this. And I know I have just as much heart as anybody out here, and that is enough to succeed. Gotta break the inferiority complex. :) Although I could afford to lose 10 more pounds. Meet up with Tahressa and Brandon, and do my best to calm their nerves since it was the first tri for both of them. Eat a clif bar about 20 minutes before race time.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the parking lot, followed by some light stretching.
Swim
  • 05m 41s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lined up. I'm 72nd entering the water with a time of 6:00 given. I tell myself that a sprint race with a 300 meter swim is never won with the swim, so just stay cool and pace yourself well. Explained to those around me that my pink swim cap is lucky because I had my best swim ever with it. Some guy who entered around 10 or 15 most likely made a mistake and gave way too fast of a time, becuase at 50 meters he was dying. He must've been passed 25 times. I felt so sorry for him, because I felt that exact way at Athens when I swam a 7:15 after signing up for a 5:30. That was such a horrible feeling, so I sure hope he finished.

And look at that time. That's like a girl's time! I say this because it is common knowledge that girls swim faster than us guys. I jump in feet first, feeling so ridiculous as I do so. I wish I had pictures of people's faces as they jump into the pool. That would be great for comedy. I flip forward and take off. After 25 meters I'm already close to passing someone. So I tell myself as I did prerace to just stay cool and go with the flow. But these people are so slow. So I pass the first guy at the wall around 100 in. Pass another at the wall around 150 I think. The way the swim was setup you had a lane to yourself the first and last 25, but shared it everywhere else. Well I'm about 200 in now and I'm ready to pass another, but this guy isn't letting me. So I go three wide in lanes that are maybe 6 foot wide. Possibly the coolest thing I think I've done in a tri. I have one guy swimming my direction on the left, one guy coming head on to me on my right, and I slide right between the both of them. Looking back, this was really pretty stupid on my part, and I should definitely have waited to pass at the wall rather than risk head-on collision. By this point I only have 100 left maybe and it's smooth from this point on. Jumped up the ladder and headed to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Give a better swim time. I could've easily done this in 5:20, so that would've been a better estimate.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

This was one of the faster in the field, but I believe I couldn't done much, much better. First off, there was a really long run into T1 from the pool. In fact, Jack joked prerace that this could be considered a swim, run, bike, run. It was probably around 200 meters. Took my lucky swim cap and goggles and threw them down, put on the helmet, unrack the bike and go. Oh shit! I forgot my race belt. Turn around, rerack the bike, put on the race belt, unrack the bike again, and take off. I really don't like wearing the race belt on the bike. Seems like it should be part of T2. So I get out of the transition area, and I can't figure out where to mount. Run about 25 yards into the bike course and realize I could've mounted long ago. So I mount. Now I can't find the exit. Turns out you have to ride through the parking lot. Maybe I should pay attention in the prerace meeting!

Don't forget the race belt. Listen in the prerace meeting so I know the course layout. This seems to be occuring on a regular basis. You'd think I would learn.
Bike
  • 34m 44s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I finally got going, I got into my shoes fairly well. I've done better. Took in a gel around 2 miles out. The course had a few more hills than I was expecting. But nothing serious. Had to slow down to 14 on a couple. But the road was rough once you got out of the city. This sucked. I'm so glad I didn't get a flat since I've had 5 flats over my last 3 rides. I'm passing people constantly early - the usual suspects (good swimmers that are poor cyclists). I'm gussing I pass around 30 total. Never got passed on the bike. Took the U-turn absolutely horribly. I slowed down so much I considered unclipping to keep my balance and not crash. I have no clue why this was so difficult, but it sure was. Took the hills on the way back easier than the front because my HR was really high for the bike. Got out of my shoes almost immediately. I've definitely improved here, to the point where I now get out as soon as I see the transition area.

Get a tri-bike. It's going to be so on when this happens! I can't wait to get one! Corner the U-turn better. Do a better job of catching a little draft as I'm making passes. Pleased with my performance, but did not set my goal. Although I also thought the roads would be better. And T.I.T.S. Need more T.I.T.S. Had to throw that one out for the BT perv.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Pleased with this performance. Was only seconds from being one of the top in the field. Might've been the top in the field but I decided to turn on the foot pod for the HR monitor. I really wanted my pace. Flying dismount worked very well.

Nothing
Run
  • 25m 56s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Immediately my left calf starts to cramp. I keep on running trying to decide what to do. I still have a gel, but I know you are supposed to take them with water. So how far is the aid station I'm wandering. Still cramping. After about 2 minutes, I decide to take about 1/3 of the gel. I don't know if it was this or just the muscle relaxing, but it quit. Thank God! After this the run was pretty uneventful. I'd already caught up with the fast swimmers who were a bit slow in the bike and run. Made a couple of passes. Only got passed once, but this guy was on his 2nd loop while I was on my first. Mile 1 - 7:06. Mile 2 - 7:08. Mile 3 - 7:12. These are according to the polar, which is usually accurate. For some reason the course was not a 5k but 3.3 miles. The polar registered it as 3.7 miles. I'm not really sure what it was, but I think it was a little longer than 3.5. Several people were saying the same after the race. Regardless, I'm very happy with my performance here, and I believe I made a good decision by taking part of the gel when cramping. There was a surprising amount of support around the finish line/loop 1 to loop 2 transition. Found myself going at a 6:45 pace starting the second loop. It's weird how people you don't even know cheering can affect your mentality. Coming into the finish you had to duck right and go down a hill. I didn't know where to turn, but I knew it was close. So I yell to the volunteer "Where do I finish!!!". Hopefully I didn't scare her! I swear I'm in a whole other world when I'm racing!

Keep on following coach's training regimen. Increase my cadence to 90 with the tempo trainer. Again, I really don't think the pace is accurate, but I could be wrong. According to the results, less than 10 people registered a pace of below 7:00. I find that hard to believe.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a little. Ate a banana and half a bagel with gatorade, and headed back to see Tahressa and Brandon finish. Chatted with some of the vendors/marketers to see what they were offering. Not alot there. Once I saw my time and realized I was in the top 20 I realized that for the first time ever I actually have a real reason to hang around for the awards ceremony. Took my third place plaque, and Tahressa's second place plaque since she jetted early.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor execution in T1. Gave too slow a swim time. Good race overall, despite not meeting my goals. If I'd known the roads were that rough though, I would've never set it that high.

Event comments:

First ever hardware at a tri! First ever top 10% finish. Definitely a race I will remember.

I hate to say it, but this was too easy. I thought it would be coming in. The sprints have been fun, but I really am ready to graduate to bigger and better things. Hopefully my performance next week at Disco reflects this.

As always, Ironhead puts on a top-notch race. Always organized, always to-the-point. It's good that way. You know what you're going to get. Proceeds benefitted the women's soccer team, so they were the volunteers for the race. Bagels, bananas, yogurt and gatorade afterwards. Can't complain there. But only 2 tents setup as info booths.

I'd like to say I would do this one again, but I just don't see myself racing sprints too much anymore.

Last updated: 2007-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:41 | 300 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 51/244
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-shorts and tri-top
Course: snake swim - 25 meter pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:44 | 12.43 miles | 21.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 15/244
Performance: Average
HR avg - 165, HR max - 174
Wind: Little
Course: out and back with only 2 turns
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Bad Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:56 | 03.3 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 22/244
Performance: Average
HR avg - 168, HR max - 181
Course: 2 loops of roads and sidewalks
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Power Pioneer Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: #867813

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-01 3:47 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Power Pioneer Sprint Triathlon
Yep, you still sound like me   I too hate pre-race and looking at all of the super fit people and fancy bikes, but you have to remember money can't buy speed, hard work does and you certainly proved that today.  You definitely have the endurance athlete mentality.  I too used to do lots of sprints, oly's, running races.  I can only think of one where I did not place at least top 3 in my age group (4th at Cinco Ranch, but I did ride 100 miles at Hotter 'n' Hell the day before).  People would get so excited for me, but the trophies meant squat to me, I wanted more!  True, I'll never place in an IM or whatever, but the distance is so much more suited to my liking.  You will do well, I know it.  Congratulations on your race today and keep moving up!
2007-07-01 3:51 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Ahhh, your mom is on here?!  That is so sweet.  My mom really doesn't give a flip about my racing.  Will your mom adopt me?  I mean, we're basically the same person, except I'm a girl
2007-07-01 3:59 PM

Veteran
Austin TX
Congratulations Clint! You had an awesome race! I know what you mean about the fitter people with sexy bikes issue...I often get intimidated at packet pickup (talk about lame!).

See you at Disco!
2007-07-01 4:00 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Clint... YOU ROCK! All of your training is paying off! You got hardware! WOW!!!!! Congratulations!

Now you and Ashley are in the "we win our AG" club. Who will be next?

Your swim time... you put down something that was very close. Unfortunately, the people in front of you probably didn't have a clue what their swim times were. Thus, they were too slow. This is my main reason for skipping tri's with a pool swim. Only OWS's for me.

As for your cycling... SOLID! Hey, it's not the bike, it's the engine running the bike. You KNOW that... but a sweet tri bike will be nice to have. Of course, you know... it's more fun passing those guys on fancy bikes on a good 'old roadie.

The run... FAST-FAST-FAST! *Jealous look*

Again, congrats! You have come so far in a short amount of time. You are a natural at this.

PS- Please don't pick up bad habits from Craig! HA!

2007-07-01 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen

Good Lord, man!  is there no stopping you?   

Great job today!

2007-07-01 4:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-01 5:42 PM

Houston, TX
DADDY-O!  great job man, you have definately found your calling.  i can't wait to see what else you have in that endless tank of yours!  and CONGRATULTIONS on picking up some hardware.
2007-07-01 6:44 PM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race and fast times, buddy.  You're really getting fast.  I'm glad you're not in my AG.   See ya at Disco!
2007-07-01 8:52 PM

Champion
Butler
Great race.  Congrats on the hardware.

2007-07-01 9:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Way to go on the hardware!!  3rd in your AG and it seems like there were a few areas you could have shaved more time on - excellent motivation for next race!    But hey - not so many cracks about the swimmers that fall behind after the swim!    We're doin the best we can with all you crazy land animals!! 

Great job!!

2007-07-01 9:46 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Great job Clint! You're definately on your way up to the next level. Go ahead and splurge on that tri-bike, or just keep on with what you got. Either way, it looks like you're enjoying the ride and that's what its all about!
2007-07-03 4:53 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX

WASN'T SOMEONE RECENTLY WHINING AND CRYING BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT COMPETETIVE? GAWD! NOW YOU GO AND PLACE, IN YOUR AG, IN YOUR NEXT TRIATHLON. Seriously, you should be very proud. You have done a most excellent job with your training.

I am glad to see that I am being a positive influence on you. Although, I think I am less of a T.I.T.S. man and more of a B.U.T.T. man. Ya see if you concentrate too much on T.I.T.S. you forget about the B.U.T.T., and the B.U.T.T. is definately something you should not ignore. BTW, B.U.T.T. = Better Utilize Total Training. Now, I am probably in trouble with your Mother, along with Karen.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Power Pioneer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed