General Discussion Race Reports! » A Tri in the Buff - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

A Tri in the Buff - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, New York
United States
Score-This
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 27s
Overall Rank = 88/159
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, Gary, Ginger and Tim stayed over. Took a shower. Had a banana, gatorade, Clif Bar. Racked the bike, then chilled out. Got to the race at 6am, got our chips, set up transition, then hung out with Dre. Maria, Luke, Kristen, Andy and Ginger came about 15 min. before we went out. Mom and Dad showed up too.
Event warmup:

Small jog with Gary and Tim. Stretched a little.
Swim
  • 22m 26s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Informed by Jim, Andrea, Tim, and Gary that the current/chop was very bad. Andrea said it was the worst she had seen. I felt a little out of sorts for the first 100m, but I got comfortable and finished strong. I actually had a lot of fun with the swim, and knowing it was bad makes me excited about future tris.
What would you do differently?:

More practice. I now know what to expect, and though TI drills help, it's a lot about sighting and high arm position through stroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

My first transition, so I had no idea what to expect. I probably will practice more with mounting and getting into my shoes (I sat on the ground to get them on), also will probably either not wear gloves or don them while on the bike. I could have easily saved 45sec.

See Above.
Bike
  • 42m 33s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt good on the bike, and am disappointed in my pace. I think it was due to the headwind coming back (dropped down to 15mph). But I really could have put more time in the saddle, and will definitely do so from here on out.

More time in the saddle before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Again, only the first T2. I tried to unstrap my shoes, but I still came unclipped. So then I had to run with my shoes half on. I had to lift the bike off a curb onto the grass while running, and almost went over the top. I also didn't have speedlaces, so I had a little trouble getting into my shoes. And I took a drink of water, which I could have either done before I was off the bike or on the run.

See above.
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is not my strongpoint so anything sub-9 is great. I'm really happy with my time, I though I would be in 10-11m pace. I was dying in the beginning though, my scalenes were screaming as were my abdominals. It did get better until the big hill, but improved again after that. Andy ran the last 1.25 mi. with me which was awesome. And I sprinted the last 10th of a mile, which killed but was exhilerating at the end.

Maybe save a little more for the run, but otherwise I'm really happy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and a Snickers Marathon bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, weight, could have trained more.

Event comments:

the chopiness of Lake Erie was bad (so I'm told) even though I have a good time. Didn't like running on grass. The fact we had to wait until the end of the awards ceremony for Jim was stupid (should have started with the winner). But otherwise, I LOVED IT! I have to say that I'm absolutely hooked. I really can't wait until the next race. It was really nice having Ri, my brother/sister in law and parents there. What a great cheering section (my bro even had a sign!). Also SO GREAT having the crew from the Clev there. Jim won the Intermediate, Tim 33rd in the Intermediate, Gary 29th in the Sprint. I really had such a blast.

Last updated: 2007-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:26 | 750 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 91/159
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:33 | 12.43 miles | 17.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 83/159
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Through Evangola State Park onto Rte. 5, back in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 104/159
Performance: Good
Course: Asphalt and GRASS. 1 large hill, and then on the crown of the road run off (not allowed to run on the road for some reason). But in the shade for most of the run!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes