General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SavageMan Course Preview Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-04 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: SavageMan Course Preview
I was able to ride the SavageMan Triathlon bike course last weekend at Deep Creek, so I thought I'd pass along a preview. Overall, I would have to say that this was the most difficult but most beautiful half century bike ride I've ever done. For a better description, see the course maps on the race website http://www.savagemantri.org/Bike_Course.html,which has lots of photos, videos, maps, and an elevation profile of the course.

I think of the course being in three distinct sections, each described here:

From Deep Creek to Westernport (~20 mi) the ride starts in the rolling farmlands outside of the Deep Creek area. Most of the climbs here were not particularly steep, though they tend to be longer than the hills around here. I was able to handle them easily in my 2nd chain ring. After you turn onto Spring Lick Road you descend for 6-7 miles in what feels like and endless downhill on twisty and very narrow roads. Top speeds here were around 45, but I had to ride my brakes often to stay in control on the narrow winding roads. The scenery was utterly amazing, heavily forested and canopied roads, white water of the Savage River on the right, mountains rising in all directions as you descend through Savage River State Forest. Finally, you pass through the town of Luke, with the monstrosity Westvaco plant, and into Westernport.

Here the character of the ride completely changes as you begin to climb the Westernport Wall http://www.savagemantri.org/Westernport_Wall.html,in which you climb 800 ft in the first mile and traverse sections of the road with a 25% grade. The climb continues outside of Westernport and over the next several miles until you cross the Eastern Continental Divide on Big Savage Mountain. From Westernport to the summit of Big Savage Mountain you go from 900 ft to over 2800 ft in just over for a vertical climb of nearly 2000 feet in 6 miles. This is where I'm glad I still ride a triple ring - without it I would have been hurting badly. If it weren't for the incredible views at every turn, this would pretty much just suck. To add further insult to the injury, you are rewarded with a great 3 mile descent in which you bleed off about 1000 ft of your elevation, only to turn around and have to climb it all back again. Finally you reach New Germany State Park and enter the 3rd section of the course. I'll reiterate here - I'd wager anything that this section is the most difficult in any North American Triathlon, but I can't count the number of times I was in awe of the views and the scenery. It was very remote and I was alone for very long stretches without any other sign of humans whatsoever. It was quite inspiring, actually.

The last 15 miles of the course take you through typical western Maryland roads - lots of long climbs with several shorter and steeper sections, but nothing like the climbs between Westernport and New Germany. This is where mental toughness is needed during a race - after 40 miles these hills seemed like monsters, and they seem to just keep on coming. I probably could have handled them easily in my 2nd ring, but as spent as my legs were by this time, I was still dropping into the 3rd ring on occasion.

I finished the ride in 4 hours and 2 minutes, averaging about 14 miles per hour on the ride. I finished feeling okay, but a sub 2-hour half marathon seemed very unlikely. Thus I'd predict a finishing time for the 1/2 Iron to be about 6:30 or so. This is most certainly NOT a course you can even consider a PR in for a 1/2 iron distance race.

As for the rest of the race, the swim is in Deep Creek Lake - but I was amazed at just how choppy that lake was this weekend. It was as active as I've seen on the Chesapeake Bay during the Bay Swim, minus the currents of course. And I hear this is normal, on this lake. Doh! I was unable to preview the run course, but I have a friend who might run it this week and report back. It is a double loop through state park roads and trails in Deep Creek State Park, and I'm not expecting much elevation here.

2007-07-05 7:16 AM
in reply to: #872270

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: SavageMan Course Preview

Most of the chop on DCL is from boat wakes... which should be less of a problem by mid september.

Thanks so much for posting this.  I am going to ride the course next friday, 7/13, and then decide if I will register or not.  I really want to be a part of this inaugural event... I know my time in the saddle is adequate, but not sure about my climbing ability.

I hope to be treading water with you at DCL in no time Eric.

2007-07-06 12:24 AM
in reply to: #872366

User image

Torrance CA
Hey, thanks for the detailed review of the course.
I'd like to hear from your runner friend about the run too.
2007-07-09 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Just like an old classic monster movie, when I read this and saw the pictures, I laughed a little, cried a little, and felt a little sick. I wish you who embark on this mission all the best. It will certainly give you ultimate bragging rights on the hardest 1/2 ironman in the world. I wish I could be there to watch. The scenery is breathtaking. It will surely grow in years to come to become legendary. And for a good cause, with the fundraising. I imagine it will be the same friendly environment as the South Carroll event.
2007-07-10 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm riding it this friday - anyone want to make the trip?
2007-07-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: #872366

User image

Expert
MD
We were out on the lake the same weekend that I rode the bike course. The water was VERY choppy from the mountain winds. Easily as choppy as the mid-bay gets in June for the Bay swim. It would have been very challenging to swim a 1.2 mile swim in that water.

The chop effect on the lake increases throughout the day as the effect of solar heating and katabatic mountain winds increase, so hopefully on race day we'll have a nice calm morning. But, come prepared for 1-2 foot chop because it can certainly happen out there.

Run report from a friend coming soon - I've already read it and it looks HARD. I've asked for his permission to re-post and am waiting for a reply.

So if it's a windy, choppy swim, a tortuously difficult climbing bike ride, and a double loop run with a very hard 550 foot climb, how do you think we'll feel at the end of this thing? OUch.

2007-07-10 10:25 AM
in reply to: #878569

User image

Expert
MD
I'd love to, but I don't think it would go over well with the family.

When are you driving out there? Are you staying over night?

BTW - what are your lodging plans for the race?
2007-07-10 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

I'm making it a day trip - drive out early, ride in middle of the day (don't like doing that), and drive home afterwards.

We rented a cabin for the weekend with a few friends/jockstrappers.

2007-07-10 10:27 PM
in reply to: #880356

User image

Expert
MD

Have you seen the new SavageMan forum? Not many posts yet. I've re-posted my report, and I just posted a copy of my friend Bill's report on the run course.

http://www.createforum.com/savageman/index.php?mforum=savageman

After your ride this Friday make sure you post your thoughts there, also.

Here's Bill's run report if you're interested:

VERY NICE!

Details:

We hiked the first part of the course up to the radio towers and fire
lookout tower in the pouring rain on Thursday. It was beautiful but brutal
at the same time. The trails are wide, wide enough to easily run 4 wide.
You definitely will need to watch your footing but there are no logs or
other large debris on the trails. In the winter these trails double as
snowmobile trails.

On Friday, after the torrential downpours of the previous two days stopped,
I ran the entire loop. The website gives a description of part of the start
of the run as "meandering" through the camp grounds. HA! If you call
running up steep/rolling campground roads for about a 3 quarters of a mile
meandering then I guess that's a good description. That's going to hurt
after the ride.

Almost this entire run is shaded that's going to be a huge plus during the
race. If the fall colors peak early this will without a doubt be the best
run anybody will ever run. It looked fantastic in the rain and it will only
look better with some nice fall colors.

As soon as you hit the start of the Meadow Mountain Trail you'll find that
you'll be running up some very, very steep terrain. You'll come to a switch
back only to see the terrain get steeper once you make the turn. OUCH, your
heart rate will rise! If you keep running you'll come up to a set of radio
towers and a lookout tower. This is the high spot of the course, about 3000
feet. You may see a bit of sun shine to lift your spirits at this point.
The trail ends and you make a left onto a very well groomed but loose gravel
fire road. It's all down hill from here.

The fire road is still completely shaded and has what I consider a perfect
downhill grade. Not so steep that it will burn your quads, but just steep
enough where you can either recover for a good two+ miles or really let it
rip at break neck run speeds without the feeling of loosing control. I
suspect that an experienced runner can hit low 6's maybe even in the 5's at
this point in the loop. (if you hadn't already burned your legs up on the
bike). The fire road dead-ends at the main State Park road, where you'll
make a left and continue on. This is fairly flat at first then has some
gentle rollers and will eventually take you back to where you started.

At this point you'll be doing this loop-O-pain once more. You know, just
meander through the camp grounds again and start your death march again up
the Meadow Mountain trail.....OUCH!

I ran this at an easy pace and it took me exactly one hour to complete. I
didn't have my hrt monitor on so I can't say for sure with my level was, but
it was definitely low, until I thought I saw a bear!

I hope everyone who is doing this race gets a chance to go out there and
preview the run and the bike. I highly recommend it.

Camping Notes:
Deep Creek has PERFECT campsites. They very large, wooded, and pretty
private! I would recommend camping out before the race. The camp grounds
are all of 2 minutes from the swim start. Campsite 108 is also about 20
yards from the bath house. ;-)

Enjoy this endeavor,
Bill(Jellyfish)
2007-07-11 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Excellent info all around.  I'm glad the run is challenging too... though I'm starting to realize this day is going to hurt.  But oh how proud I will be when it is over.
2007-07-13 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Some additional thoughts.  Eric summed the course up nicely - it is breathtaking... both in beauty and in torturous hills.

Despite the course description, and other rider anecdotes, I was really shocked at how long and steep the climbing was.  The photos and videos on the savageman website don't even begin to do it justice.  I would say that literally only about 1/3 of the race is cruise material... the remaining 2/3 is either UP or DOWN.  Up in my smallest gear, spinning sometimes but cadence in the 60's or below plenty others.  There are several large, and countless small steep descents, and after mile 20, with few exceptions, the race really is savage climbs and dangerous descents... it seems you never just get to pedal comfortably. 

I suspect the first 19 miles will allow sufficient time to recovery from the swim... which is good because you need fresh legs after that.  The climb through Westernport is very steep, but also not that long.  I attempted to do the 25% grade part, but the concrete is in bad shape and their are lots of weeds.  If I leaned forward (out of the saddle), my rear wheel would spin when I hit any weeds (which is a certain event).  If I put some weight on the back to give it more traction, my front wheel was coming off the ground and I was in danger of flipping over backwards.  At one point I did two cranks, and both times my rear wheel just spinned out... I came to a complete stop, was unable to unclip, and fell over and scraped my elbow (no big deal).  I got off the bike and walked it the rest of the way up... about 30 meters.

If you are going to try to ride up the closed section, I think hugging the right is the best bet in terms of weeds/pavement condition.  Everyone who does it will need to unclip at the top, which will not be easy, as there is really no exit onto the main road except squeezing past a small entrance in a guardrail over a curb (unless they take the guardrail down for the race, but it looks pretty permanent).  I really want to do it - because it's there and because the race organizers have dared us to - but I'm not sure it's the smartest thing with my current riding ability.

Without a doubt, the long climb for several miles afterwards (westernport road) is where you will really be abused by the course.  With your legs on fire at the top of the westernport wall, you've really just warmed up for the immediate suffering you are about to begin for the next 30-45 minutes.  It just seems to never end, and it fools you several times into thinking its over (looks like the crest is just ahead, yeah right), but then you have to climb again, and again, and again.  I think I rode nearly the whole thing in my easiest gear, but eventually I made it.  It takes an hour to go the first 20 miles of the race to westernport, and another hour to go the next 6-8 over savage mountain.

That said, other than my wipe out on the wall, I only got of my bike by choice once on the entire course to walk up a hill, and it was much later in the race.  A cruel, relatively short but insanely steep climb that snuck up on me on bear hill road at ~mm 42ish  (I think... somewhere near there).  Otto Lane also has a painful climb.  Ditto McAndrews Hill.  Starting to notice a them in the street naming here?  Ditto ditto ditto ditto for miles 20-56.

Also be wary on Bear Hill, as on a flat section I was chased by a big and mean boxer who didn't give up despite me hammering hard for several hundred yards... he was able to keep up with me and was barking (not friendly at all) and nipping at me and making contact with me.  I could have easily fallen and I'm not sure I wouldn't have been attacked.  I'm going to pick up some doggy mace before I attempt this ride again.  The dog was within the first mile of turning onto Bear Hill road.  The whole redneck family was out in the yard and didn't yell or call the dog off at all!  If that dog is out (unteathered) on race day it will be a huge problem.

My training plan will simply be to ride hills as much as possible, and know that it will only get me partially prepared to do anything more than survive this one.  I simply don't have those kinds of climbs to train on in the eastern half of the state.  I've also decided that I'm not going to risk anything trying to make up time on descents, as there really are some nasty falls waiting to happen.  The other half of my plan is to drop weight, as I know being a 200+ pound rider didn't help on those climbs.

I don't even want to think how the legs are going to feel on the run, which even as a stand alone event would be no walk in the park.  Mental fortitude will be essential.

Took me 4:06 to ride the course... stopped the watch for 2 changed tires (don't ask), 2 pit stops, and one water bottle refill... but I was very happy for each of those breaks.  Still, I'm encouraged that this is do-able, as this was by far the hardest ride I've ever done in terms of climbing (I've never done anything remotely close) and was also my longest ride on the bike ever... it hurt but it wasn't too much.  And I've got 2 months to improve.

Josh

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-07-13 10:02 PM

2007-07-14 10:54 AM
in reply to: #885670

User image

Torrance CA
Hi guys,
thanks very much for all your detailed accounts of this course - I just signed up for my first Long course (Santa Barbara triathlon 8/25 & 8/26 in CA) and have been dreaming of doing a relay for Savage man - I'd offer to do the swim at this point for 07 and only promise to come in before the cut off time, since I need to train for the next 2 mos. at that distance.
I'm still planning on coming to volunteer this year and hope to bring my bike so as to ride the course. We have some good hills here on the Palos Verdes peninsula that I can work in the meantime.
thanks again and keep postin'
Melissa
2007-07-14 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Melissa - I really hope to see you out there!  Thanks for volunteering - or possibly racing if you can find a team.  You might want to advertise on their message boards for that:

http://www.createforum.com/savageman/index.php?sid=8484423152015fc91351bf951d7404d2&mforum=savageman

2007-07-14 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Oh, and I forgot to mention... the WIND was a b*tch after I crossed savage mountain (essentially for most of the second half of the course).  I really hope we don't have wind and mountains. 
2007-07-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #885670

User image

Expert
MD
Awesome Job! What an accomplishment to complete this ride.

Were you out there alone for this ride?

I know when I did it alone it was a bit spooky. You are really out in the middle of nowhere in these state forest roads and very vulnerable. Doggy mace would have been a good idea - it crossed my mind every time I saw a dog. Not one leash in that part of the country.

Anybody else doing this ride in training or as part of the SavageMan would be well served to tune up your bike before leaving, and carry extra tubes, a pump, and CO2 cartridges. On the faster descents a small bump could cause an easy flat and you should plan for more than one on this ride. In general roads are in good shape, but there are numerous sections where I hit small potholes, road cracks, or surface scaling that created serious impact for the tires.

I've started thinking about a nutrition strategy for this race, and I think it will require some modifications from a 'typical' 1/2 iron strategy. Last 1/2 iron I did I followed a fairly conventional nutrition plan, during which I did not start to consume calories until 10 miles into the bike ride to give me time to settle in to a steady groove, let the H.R. settle a bit after the swim, and start to feel comfortable on the bike.

I think this course will force you to consume when you have the opportunity, instead of on a prescribed plan. For example, before the rapid descent that eventually ends in Westernport, I'd like to get some calories in, probably more that I usually would in the first 20 miles of the bike ride. It will be difficult to consume anything while flying down during the long descent, and I don't really want to stop to eat. So this would force you to start feeding in the first 5-8 miles of the bike ride before you start rolling downhill. Plus, anything you eat at that point should (hopefully) be available as needed energy on Westernport Road (aka the climb from he$$).

I'm not sure yet - still working it out in my head.

2007-07-17 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Yeah - I was alone, but I enjoy a long ride alone in the middle of nowhere.  I'd describe it as a sort of "one with the universe" kind of experience, not spooky.

There was one exception to being alone.  I had climbed westernport and probably 3/4 of savage mountain... and I had passed no less than a hundred "folk" you would expect to see in rural western maryland... let's just say they didn't appear to be into fitness or culture (sorry if offensive).

Of course, once again, I have a flat tire, and I'm sitting on the side of the road and changing it.  Now I must have been seriously dehydrated or otherwise delerious, because out of nowhere one of the most beautiful and fit women I have ever seen jogs by with her two dogs and asks if I'm okay.  I'm sure my jaw was on the ground, and I was otherwise quite the looker with my mix of spandex, bike grease, sunscreen, sweat, bugs stuck to me, and bleeding elbow... but I informed her I was fine.  She just turned off on a trail ahead and disappeared.  Now if she was vacationing out there, she sure picked a punishing place to run... so I must conclude that she is a local, but boy was she out of place.  Honestly, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it was a hallucination.

Regarding nutrition - I used two 2-hour bottles of perpeteum, 6 water bottles, and 1 cliff bars at each hour.  I felt adequately fueled, but didn't want to run a half marathon afterwards.  I also felt my calf *almost* cramp up a few times... so I'll be examining my electrolyte needs more closely.  It's safe to say I was sweating more than normal during those climbs.

My plan is definitely to get some fuel in immediately after the swim.  You don't really have to work for the first 20 miles, which will give it time to get in your system.  I generally have a pretty tolerant stomach, however.  I was able to drink during some of the climbing without problems.

2007-07-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #888792

User image

Expert
MD
Yeah - I'm with you on the 'at one with nature' idea. I went to school out in western MD so I feel kind of at home out there. It's so incredibly scenic - and I was out there on a perfect day - it really was an awesome experience.

The 'spooky' feeling I had was more of an awareness of the vulnerability of a solo rider out there. Similar to the feeling I've had on really long OW swims when you let your mind reflect on how our of your element you are at that time. But, that's what makes the whole process fun, also.

Of course, I didn't realize that there were model-quality joggers popping out of the trees. I was expecting black bears.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SavageMan Course Preview Rss Feed