General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m 46s
Overall Rank = ?/1100
Age Group = M 25/29
Age Group Rank = 19/54
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a bowl of oatmeal and a Bagel w/ PB. Felt pretty good, finally managed to get a decent sleep before a race, I got a whole 7 hours. Nice.
Event warmup:

No real warm up, got to transition with plenty of time to spare, set up my gear, used the porta potties, then just a quick swim maybe 50 meters or so to warm up.
Swim
  • 32m 9s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out near the front, wasn't too worried about getting beat up, after about 50 meters I noticed they had a cord set up which followed the buoys the whole course. Sweet, followed the cord the whole way. Got kind of stuck between packs again so missed out on some opportunities to get in any good drafting.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have pushed harder on the swim, but I knew what the bike course was like so I wanted to save some energy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Need to learn to have shoes attached to bike, I may practice that through the summer.

Not much, I am more worried about cutting time on the bike than in transition!!!!
Bike
  • 3h 00m 2s
  • 93.34 kms
  • 31.11 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on my bike with a goal to push hard on the flats, spin up the hills, and coast on the downhills. Having this be my 3rd Half iron in 6 weeks I was a little worried that I would not be able to have a good ride as the previous weeks training was pretty bad. I was pretty wrong, I got out and felt pretty good right away, started pushing some hard gears and was holding a good pace. I was determined to nail my nutrition today so I had set times in my head where I would take in nutrition no matter what. Worked out pretty well. I ended up getting passed by a few people who were just killing the course, but I wasn't worried about it and stuck to my plan. Finished the first lap in 1:29:38 and felt pretty confident I could repeat that on the second lap. Got passed by some more people who were drafting bigtime at least 7 people in a straight line. Brutal, this pissed me off enought that I wanted to say something to them (or throw a water bottle at the lead rider!!!) but decided against that course of action and figured I would catch them on the run anyway. After that group I just settled into a good pace and hammered the last 5 km's into transition.

Throw the water bottle at the drafters!!! Just kidding, I was pretty happy with my ride, cycling is my weakness(somehow swimming has become my strength, I don't know how that happened) so I was very happy with that time over a tough course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Ran in, took a few extra seconds to get mentally ready, took off.

Need to get elastic laces for shoes!!!
Run
  • 1h 48m 32s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 09s  min/km
Comments:

Ran out reasonably hard, trying to settle into a pace that was tough but sustainable, passed a ton of people in the first three miles of the run, and was making good time, even better I must have nailed my nutrition as my stomach was not giving me difficulties for the first time this year. As I was heading out towards the turnaround for the first lap I saw my buddy who was racing as a pro for the first time and he looked strong and his time was good so I was super pumped seeing that he would have a good day. Hit the second lap and the heat really started to sap my energy, ended up walking for a minute at about the 13km mark but then picked it up again and just made sure to walk the aid staions and get enough fluids as the heat was rough on me. As I hit the hill with about 2 miles to go, I caught a couple of the guys who were drafting and blew by them(Felt like saying why draft if you can't run, but didn't want to act like a tool) Cruised the last 2 miles to the finish and crossed the line not with my best time ever, but very satisfied with my effort on the day.

I'm not sure. This was the only race I have done that did not have coke. I should have tried to find out about that. I love coke on the run, what can I say. Probably could have taken in some gels but I didn't want to mess around too mcuh as my stomach has been iffy.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line, found my girlfriend and hung out under a tre in the shade with some pizza and cookies.

Event comments:

I gave the race a 3 for a few reasons. The race expo sucked bigtime. For an Ironman sponsored event it was terrible. They only had 2 booths and that was it. Other than that I enjoyed the race, dissapointed they didn't have coke on the run, but it is a race worth doing. I will probably do this again next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:09 | 1931 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/54
Overall: 0/1100
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:02 | 93.34 kms | 31.11 km/hr
Age Group: 25/54
Performance: Good
2 laps, hilly course with some good climbs and some good downhills.
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:32 | 21.08 kms | 05m 09s  min/km
Age Group: 19/54
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-11 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier

2007-07-11 9:48 PM
in reply to: #882196

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier
I've been waiting to see how you did, great job! Must've been great racing without have the stomach issues this time? And I totally agree about the drafters, that's also a good feeling when you pass them later!

Awesome race and report!
2007-07-12 11:19 PM
in reply to: #882196

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier
Yep, so happy I finally resolved the stomach problems, hopefully I can have a strong finish to the year now.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed