General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross country in the off-season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-02 1:41 PM

Regular
Subject: Cross country in the off-season
It's now the off-season for triathlon and road running but cross-country season has only just begun.

Is anyone planning to enter cross-country races? As I come from a cross-country back ground I'll be racing over the winter, in fact I'm racing tomorrow. It keeps you fit, helps build leg strength. Just think the next time you have a hilly running leg in the triathlon you can think to yourself 'This isn't so bad I few months back I was doing this in the mud'
If that doesn't persuade you then consider that the organisers of the events round here do an amazing vegetable chilli. Really motivates you to get back quicker to start eating

Is the off-season an important part of training? Do you need a few months to relax?

Edited by John_0026 2004-10-02 1:42 PM

2004-10-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #68782

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Cross country in the off-season
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think there are any races around here in the winter. It would be great because the winters are pretty mild, I run on trails all winter...
2004-10-02 3:26 PM

Online or Offline
I plan on doing at least 2 cross-country/trail runs in the off season...

One is at the end of this month, 9.5 miles to benefit the Town Forest Trail and then a 5K Turkey Trot. I actually miss running the trails around here! I have been neglecting the calling of dirt, rocks, roots, trees, streams and solitude in exchange for pavement-pounding among the suburb traffic. Or hotel treadmills.

In addition to the physical benefits of running hills and increasing agility, it clears my mind much more than any other kind of running.

The Middlesex Fells becon.
2004-10-03 8:10 AM

Regular
I finished my race, 10km today. It was in a big country estate. Huge country house and a lovely lake to run round. I used to live in the lake distric (uk) Englands highest hills. They is something really amazing about walking/running in the hill on a clear autumn morning. Now I live in a flat part of the country but we have some nice forests here.

Well my race today:
1st half was tough. It has been raining the past few days and the 1st 4km were most up hill in soft ground. I managed to keep a reasonable pace which I'm pleased about. Then at the top I found some extra energy from somewhere and ran the next 4km quite quick overtaking some people
Then the last 2km I was exhausted just latched on to someone going at a good pace and shut off from the world. I overtook him near the end but had nothing left to out sprint him to the line. A very good day hoping I'm in the top 20. Will check the official results later.

Edited by John_0026 2004-10-03 8:11 AM
2004-10-03 9:52 AM
in reply to: #68889

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Great job John. That sounds like a fun race with good scenery!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross country in the off-season Rss Feed