General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-race recovery and beyond? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-29 7:48 PM

New user

Subject: Post-race recovery and beyond?
Hello all,

Just did my first triathlon today--Olympic (though they had to shorten the bike at the last minute due to something about a semi taking out a couple telephone poles on the route). It went quite well for me, better than expected. The race came on the heels of a full taper, and I raced hard (as though it were an "A race," if that's possible for a newbie).

Now I'm wondering what's next. I'd like to get at least another race in this season, but scheduling (and money) will probably mean some time in late September.

Questions are these:

1) What's the best way to approach the first few days of post-race training? What should I do to recover? Do I get right back on a build schedule, or do I take a couple days (or even a full week?) to rejuvenate?

2) Let's say that between now and my next race, I've got two full months. Two weeks from now, however, I'll be out of town for two weeks (last two of Aug. i.e. weeks 3 and 4 of new training cycle.). While on traveling, running will be easy, swimming less so but not impossible, biking fairly unlikely. Now, when I return, I'll have another full month left to train for the hypothetical end-of-Sept. race. Any suggestions on how to approach this scenario?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who jumps in on this. I realize I've been quite active on the receiving end of this forum lately. I hope to be able to contribute with answers and advice of my own to others soon.

Greg

2007-07-29 11:52 PM
in reply to: #905967

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Post-race recovery and beyond?
I did my first race (sprint) last Sunday, also had tapered for a full week and went all out during the race. I meant to take a day off afterwards but felt ok with a light ride on the trainer. Then just started a new training plan the next day (day 2 after race) and have been fine all week. I think they say the longer the race the longer the recovery. I'd say go light and stop if you feel fatigued, if not let it rip! I was so energized by my first race experience I couldn't sit still...

I'll let some of the more experienced people answer about the longer term training for your next race. (I just went on a plan that leads right up to my next race, which isn't until November.)

Good luck and congrats on finishing your first race!
2007-07-29 11:59 PM
in reply to: #905967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: RE: Post-race recovery and beyond?

Light excersize the day after an Oly, like an easy ride is normal. I don;t know what your training cylce looks like, but for me the first 3 days after an oly are realtively easy and then I ease back into normal trainin and then peak again a week to a week and half before the race. The "Taper" week is really a week of consistent workouts to stay "sharp" and loose w/o causing undue fatigue.

Hope this helps

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-race recovery and beyond? Rss Feed