United States
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 4s
Overall Rank = 13/61
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

Got everything around the night before and loaded into truck. I slept fairly well, got up at 3:50, showered, and made a bowl of oatmeal which I ate on the way to get John. There weren't very many people there yet, so we got pretty good rack spots. I chose to be close to the bike out, which worked out pretty well.

Nutrition: Oatmeal 3hrs prior. 1 Slimfast 90 mins prior. 3/4 Slimfast 30 mins prior.
--> this worked well, but I probably didn't need the last Slimfast
Event warmup:

Lots of walking around, hit the Handy-John twice, checked the water temp, rode a couple hundred feet from the bike start about five times (can you say OCD) to decide which gear to be in, jogged a few minutes, and stretched a little. Wife and kids had called to say they would arrive shortly, so I kept one eye on the first few waves at the swim start and one eye out for them. They made it about five minutes before my start. We took a picture and I got in the water.
Swim
  • 13m 46s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't intend on starting with the front of my group, but everyone seemed to be going so slow, and before I knew it I was drafting what I think was the lead guy. I stayed right on his heals for the first 50-75 yds, but then I started to fade and realized the error of my ways. I slowed down, but it was too late. By the time I rounded the first bouy I was spent and having to swim with my head out of the water. I then took in a big gulp of water which choked me. I had to stop, tread water, and cough for a few seconds. I then started back with sidestroke for about 20 feet, regained my composure, and resumed freestyle - s l o w l y !

I did really well at the turns and stayed on course really well, which is suprising since my goggles fogged up pretty bad.
What would you do differently?:

I have to learn to keep myself from starting out so fast. This really hindered my performance and if I do this on a long swim (1.2 mile) I will likely drown.

I should've worn my new clear goggles. It was cloudy and dark. Also, I need to figure out how to keep my goggles from fogging up. My spit just does not work.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I came in, sat on the bucket, rinsed my feet, got my shoes and everything else on, and jogged the 40 feet to the mount line. The shirt was difficult, but I wanted to do it since some races require a shirt. Getting a rack spot close to the bike out works good for me.

Arrive just a little bit earlier to make sure I get the best spot, and rack on the downhill side of the bar. When I rinsed my feet the water ran towards my towel and everything else. Otherwise, a perfect transition.
Bike
  • 41m 47s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I got up to speed and of course I was hammering too hard. Well, maybe not too hard for a 12 mile race, but I'm aiming for Oly/HIM distances. I passed a few in the first couple miles until I found a guy going about my pace. He was on an old steel bike and had calfs that rivaled my quads. I stayed behind him, within USAT rules, for the next few miles, and then he seemed to slow some so I passed him. That lasted for about a mile until we came to some hills and he ate my lunch, but I stayed with him the rest of the time. I worked pretty consistantly on the bike, only took a few sips of water/G-ade, and no nutrition - didn't need it.

I spent the last couple of miles spinning - it was nice and flat. Things were going great, and I was looking forward to the run, then Kersplat! I didn't get stopped at the dismount line before I put my foot down, and for some reason my carbon soled bike shoes didn't have much traction on the asphalt. I didn't land too hard, but it was hard enought to leave a little strawberry/road rash.

I may have left a little on the course, but if I did it was very little. It was a good effort.

I need to start out a little slower and work on dismounts. I think maybe getting out of the shoes while still on the bike and running in socks would be good. However, if I get new shoes that are a half/whole size smaller I could ride w/o socks - even better! Also, next time bring some electrical tape for bike tags, etc.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Except for the ass-busting things went well.

Get out of shoes while on the bike and dismount and run in socks/barefoot.
Run
  • 16m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started at about the right pace finally. I got my legs pretty quickly and concentrated on form and relaxing. I maintained a constant pace all the way out and halfway back, then I turned it up a little. The run finishes uphill and I gave it all I had at the end. I was spent.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little dazed. Drank some water, had a pancake, and drank more water. I stretched a little, but of course not enough. I also waited in line for what seemed like an hour for a free massage the, God bless her, wasn't worth it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If anything, training. But considering my ITB issues I'm very happy.

Event comments:

I gave this a 4 because I think it could be a little better. Overall the course is awesome. The lake is great, the bike is a good challenge with essentially no traffic, and the run is also good, but the announcer SUCKED!

But the main thing: I had fun, and I beat my goal time of 1:22 by almost 10 minutes!

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:46 | 547 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 27/61
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Triangular *time included T1
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:47 | 12.5 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 13/61
Wind: None
Course: Loop. Course was good. A few rough spots and some areas that were perfectly smooth. At least one challenging hill and some good hills. One good downhill. No long flats, but some good short ones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:31 | 02 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 12/61
Course: Out and back. One very little hill, otherwise it's flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-30 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: Concreteman

2007-07-31 10:55 AM
in reply to: #906518

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Concreteman

Great race, man! It's good to see you back in action.

The best part is that you got some "lessons learned" AND had a good time. Sweet.

~B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Concreteman Rss Feed