General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-01 10:24 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Questions
Hi,
I am training for my first sprint triathlon and would like to do it without breaking the bank.
The water temp is supposed to be around 71. Do I need a wetsuit?
What about my bike? I have a mountain bike that's great for getting around town, towing my burley and I get a decent workout on it. Will it suffice for this first time or should I see if I can borrow a better one? I really can't drop even a few hundred on a new bike.
My goal is to complete the event strong and have fun. I'm not going for any big times but I don't want my equipment (or lack of it ) to slow me down so much, that I become discouraged.
Thanks for the help!
Tracy

2007-08-01 10:26 AM
in reply to: #909534

Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Questions
I would rent a wetsuit if you can afford it, it's about $30. If not, you can certainly get away without it, but I'd spend the money.

You should be fine on a mountain bike, but I'd swap the knobby tires for slicks or borrows one if I could. If you'll use your mountain biker for training I'd invest in the tire change. Knobbies don't roll near as nice.
2007-08-01 10:27 AM

Elite

chiromamma - 2007-08-01 9:24 AM Hi, I am training for my first sprint triathlon and would like to do it without breaking the bank. The water temp is supposed to be around 71. Do I need a wetsuit? What about my bike? I have a mountain bike that's great for getting around town, towing my burley and I get a decent workout on it. Will it suffice for this first time or should I see if I can borrow a better one? I really can't drop even a few hundred on a new bike. My goal is to complete the event strong and have fun. I'm not going for any big times but I don't want my equipment (or lack of it ) to slow me down so much, that I become discouraged. Thanks for the help! Tracy

Need a wetsuit for 71F water? No

Mtn bike OK? Yes, probably want to change to slick tires of 1.25" or 1.5"

2007-08-01 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Honestly, if you're just looking to complete the event, you should be fine without a wetsuit so long as you put in adequate training in open water. That water temp isn't that cold and you should only be in it for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you do more races in the future, you will find wetsuits provide a boost in both confidence and speed after you have become used to training in them.

But please do not underestimate the difficulty of a 1/4 mile swim. At my last sprint, the lifeguards had to fish out a ridiculous number of people in the first 200 yards because these participants obviously did not prepare themselves. That creates an unsafe and less enjoyable atmosphere for everyone.
2007-08-01 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

You would be okay without a wetsuit, but if you really feel like you want to wear one, there are a few places online that rent them. It is a great option.

It is not unusual to see some folks on mountain bikes in a sprint. It is a good way to find out whether or not you like this sport without having to drop $'s on a new bike. Like the above posts mentioned, switch out the knobby tires if you have them.

The things that you might want to look at buying are tri shorts and a tri top. They are made from quick drying fabrics that can be worn in all three sports and have a small pad for biking.

Good luck!

2007-08-01 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Others have probably said this, so if it's a repeat... I apologize in advance.

The only things you NEED to do a tri are:

Swim suit (whatever that means to you)
Bike (again, whatever that means to you -- the MTB is fine)
Helmet
Shoes (that you can run and bike in)

Anything beyond that is just to make the event a little more comfortable and/or faster.

These would include:

goggles
road or tri bike
wetsuit
tri shorts/top or tri suit
bike shoes
clipless pedals
racing flats
sunglasses
aero helmet
race wheels
hat or visor for running

If you really want to, you could put some road slicks on your MTB -- it'll help your speed some, and make less noise.

Hope that helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions Rss Feed