General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan-uber short workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-02 9:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Training plan-uber short workouts

I've done longer than the shortest distance/time suggested on the BT sprint training plan..always have. Is that really 'bad'? I mean if I'm going to go the Y, change, get to the pool and maybe even wait for a lane...I am going to swim longer than say 17 mins. I want a workout! Same goes for those 20 mins runs and nothing else that day. I can see a 20 min run after a bike ride but alone seems too short.

Do others do more than is suggested?

2007-08-03 12:01 AM
in reply to: #911920

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Training plan-uber short workouts
Why don't you look for another plan that gives you a bit more to do? Are the beginning Oly plans too much?

I was stuck between two plans (HIM and Oly), one was too much and one wasn't enough. So I chose the lower one and am adding to it (20% more time to every workout, consistently, that way I don't mess up the progression). Makes the log look better than choosing the higher one and not reaching goals

At this early point, my goal is distance, not speed, so I don't do intervals, tempo runs, hill repeats, etc. just basic endurance training. I'm not sure how it would work if I had to modify a more complicated plan.

2007-08-03 7:25 AM
in reply to: #911995

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
thanks saucey..yeah, I add to it anyhow which in the long run will help to move me up to the Oly I want to do next summer. Just wondered though with how its set up if I do more than needed all the time if it 'hurts' my race somehow. Guess not.
2007-08-03 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

If say you change the short workouts to be the same volume as the medium workouts, you should still be OK as they will still be following the 10% rule.  It won't hurt your performance assuming you are use to the volume.

Yes, some of the workouts, especially the 'short days' for the sprint level are short-especially at the beginning of the program.  But being tailored towards the beginner, I wanted to make sure that the new triathlete was getting the rest needed and that the weekly individual workouts were periodized along with the monthly volumes as the 'short' workouts can also be used as 'recovery' workouts a day after the 'long' sessions.

Beginners and even experienced athletes tend to train too much per their goals thinking that it will help..which leads to burnout, overtraining and injury. The 'short' workouts are kept short to help with this problem of one always trying to train at their limits...by giving a little 'rest' within each week.  In my plans, I definitely don't want you to perform near your limits for every workout.

So just pay attention to how your feel and adjust accordingly.  Just make sure to get your rest too!

2007-08-03 11:54 AM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
I'm guilty of this, too. I often look at my plan and think "that's all?" - I've convinced myself (erroneously, I know!) that if I don't run for at least 40 minutes, it doesn't really count. When I know it does, I'm just wanting to push myself harder than that, because I know I can. Also, because it is difficult for me to get to a pool, I cannot fathom only taking 20 minutes for a swim. I want it to be longer because it takes me longer than that to get there!

This isn't really working well for me - although I have made some great endurance gains, the price has been spouts of burn-out and moodiness and fatigue. I'm thankful I haven't injured myself, because I know that is the risk I'm taking.

All that to say, I appreciate that I'm not the only one who thinks this way, and as I work more at this sport, the more I am realizing that Ron's advice is good, and maybe (just maybe) I don't know better in all my newbieness.

Hope that helps...
2007-08-03 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

thanks Ron and wantbeatrier -(cough cough) yeah, good reminder to NOT push and take rest days. I just love the zone when you are lost in your peddling, laps or running and suddenly it all seems so easy and a lightbulb goes on and I say 'that's how its done!" or something along those lines...ya know that endorphin high.

2007-08-03 3:02 PM

Regular
i did my first tri last year, and followed the beginner tri workouts.

i always felt the swim was way too short, since i swam competitively in college.

one way to look at that plan is that it's the most easiest and basic plan for any person out there, whether they're overweight, never have run in their life, or just learning how to swim.

i think it's good to follow the skeleton of how everything is structured, incremental increases, week to week, rest days, recovery weeks, etc. but if you can already run 3 miles no problems, then that's fine, and you'll have to adjust the workout plan to suit you.

best of luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan-uber short workouts Rss Feed