Germany
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 59s
Overall Rank = 104/114
Age Group = F30-35
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

We flew to Germany on Monday which gave us 6 days there before the race.
On Wednesday we went to the pool (natural outdoor pool) where the race was gonna be held. It was our first TRI swim which was not gonna be in a real pool and the thought of not being able to see the ground and the cold water (67F) made me feel a little uneasy so we thought it would be a good idea to try it.
It took me 5 minutes until I finally manage to get into the water as it was so cold. I swam for about 15 minutes and then had to go out because I felt really dizzy and my body did not like the cold at all. I was really discouraged after that swim but then my brothers girlfriend (who is a lifeguard) made some phone calls and was able to borrow some wetsuits for us for the race.
We tried them out in another pool on Saturday (day before the race) and although they did not fit perfectly they were definitly helping.

Saturday it rained most of the day and I was just hoping that the weather would be different for race day. Forecast was showers.

On Race day I woke up at 7:30 and was happy about the fact that it was not raining (yet). I went to take a hot shower and had my usual fruit-protein smoothie for breakfast. Atr 8:30 it started drizzeling which changed into heavy rain about 15 minutes later. We managed to leave the house at 9:15 and were at the race site at 9:45. Race start was 11:00.
It rained and rained and rained and rained. We went to pick-up our race package and got soaking wet just walking from the parking space to the place. We got out race package and looked at the route and the transition zones and then went back to the car to wait there. Brought our bikes over and got even wetter and then had to return to the car to get all the bags. Some people had huge plastic boxes with lids for the transition area and I thought that as a really good idea in this weather and called my friend to bring some with later which she did.
We set up our bikes and all the stuff I needed in T1 and T2 just went in the box. I then hurried to change into my swim and wetsuit and made it into the water just 5 minutes before the start.

Event warmup:

Swam one lap to warm-up and tried to relax.
Swim
  • 11m 28s
  • 560 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were 14 people in my lane and my plan was to wait til its my turn to start swimming on the right side but somehow that plan did not work as everybody started to swim at the same time and I was in the front/middle.
Legs and armes everywhere and my goal was to get over to the right to swim by the line to have some reference of where I was.
The swim was only 4 laps and I am not sure I ever really found a rhytm. Usually swimming is one of my strong(er) events so it was hard to feel that uncomfortable. I just wanted it to be over... Funny enough I swam my fastest swim in a TRI so far but that is probably also thanks to the wetsuit ;)

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Got out of the water and started running towards the transition zone while trying to get the wetsuit off. I only practised with the wetsuit once before so it was not that easy but went better than I thought. Transition was on a gras area and the heavy rained had turned it into a mud-bath. Once I reached my bike everything just went mechanically... bike pants on, t-shirt on, bike shoes on, helmet on, gloves on, leave the glasses due to the rain, number band on and off I was...
Bike
  • 45m 58s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.23 km/hr
Comments:

I did not take my Garmin in T1 and counted on my bike computer but when I started biking I noticed right away that it was not working and you could only see half of the numbers. I guess it did not like the rain. I got it to work for about 4 minutes but then it died completely.
This was my first bike ride in the rain with standing water on the streets and I was scared and I thought the entire time: JUST DON´T FALL!!
But somehow biking in the rain was not as bad as I thought it would and I drove a lot faster than I imgained I would ever do in the rain. 500m into the bike my chain fell off and that cost me about a minute to put it abck on because it fell off towards the outside and I had to stop to put it back on. I Did not go all out on the downhills though and was careful to break early before every turn. Overall the bike ride went by really fast. Lots of people were cheering us on from the streets and I actually felt for them because the rain felt probably worse for them then for us who were competing.

Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

T2 was included in the bike time so this is just a good guess of the time.

Got off my bike and ran over the muddy gras to my space. Was so thankful at that moment that my friend brought the plastic box with the lid because that meant that my running shoes would be dry (well at least for the short amount of time while I put them on). Helmet off, gloves off, bike shoes off, socks on, running shoes on, grabbed my Garmin and my cap and off I went.
Run
  • 34m 3s
  • 5.4 kms
  • 06m 24s  min/km
Comments:

Running is normally the part I look most forward to in a TRI but not this time. I had some hip trouble (most likely hip bursitis) that started 10 days before the TRI and it did not really get any better during that time although I did not run at all except for a short trial run Friday which showed that it was still very painful. I knew I had to just run through the pain.
My toes were sleeping and my feet were cold and I could not really feel them the first 2Ks but it sure felt great once they woke up ;)
The first part (~400m) was on a trail and it was very muddy and by the time I started running, around 100 people had already run there as well so it was really difficult not to slip. After a short flat it went a steep uphill into the forest and I decided very quickly that it was just not worth the energy to run up so I walked. Once up the road was paved and I picked up the pace. Hip pain started aafter the first K which I had expected. Steep downhill after another K and I tried to go very easy there to not make the hip any worse as it already was. The second loop was a little slower than the first, I almost got lost as marking was really bad but someone behind me screamed that I needed to turn. I am actually still amazed by my pace and my time because I did not think I could run so fast with the hip trouble.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I made it through the finish I was greeted by my family and friends and of course by my husband who had finished 30 minutes before me.
They were all soaking wet and really cold so they just congratulated me and then left to go home.
I went to get some water and then changed into some dry clothes (oh that felt so good :)).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heavy rain, as usual my weight and the hip problems.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:28 | 560 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 74/114
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 70m natural outdoor pool. We were 14 women in my lane (lanes were double as wide as normal swimmning pool lanes)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:58 | 20 kms | 26.23 km/hr
Overall: 109/114
Wind: Some
Course: 4 x 5K loop. Road was very wet with lots of standing water. Heavy rain!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:03 | 05.4 kms | 06m 24s  min/km
Overall: 106/114
Performance: Average
1K: 7:10 (includes the hill) 2K: 5:44 3K: 7:28 (includes the hill) 4K: 6:02 5K: 6:06 0.4K: 1:34
Course: 2 x 2.5K loops. Mostly on paved road but about 400m on each loop on loose muddy trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-03 5:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Kindelsberg Triathlon

2007-08-03 5:25 AM
in reply to: #912020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: Kindelsberg Triathlon
2007-08-03 8:53 AM
in reply to: #912021

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, Steffi. Racing in the rain is always an experience! It looks like you had a very smooth race and that's awesome. Congrats on the fast swim. The natural pool is quite interesting. Did you just get to the other side of the pool and turn around, or did actually have walls? And, wetsuits are a lot of fun, aren't they ?

It looks like the bike and run went well, and good job on posting an awesome run, especially with the muddy conditions at the beginning and your hip problems. I hope the hip clears up with you soon.

Another great race for what has been a great season for you! Congrats!

2007-08-03 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Thanks Lauren

It did have walls (not straight ones though) but they put a line about 1m before the end and a bouy and then you had to swim around that so no kicking off.

2007-08-07 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Tallinn, Estonia
Very well done. And what conditions, WOW!!
2007-08-07 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

You did awesome

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kindelsberg Triathlon Rss Feed