FIRM
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 18s
Overall Rank = 133/265
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5AM...not much different than any other day...had a tough night's sleep. Saturday was the day I dropped my 10 year old off for two weeks of sleep away camp...wow...that was a really tough day. Of course I spent most of the night worrying and wondering about her...not sleeping...so the alarm was a welcome relief from not sleeping. It was a simply gorgeous morning. Clear skies and cool. Outside temp at 5AM was 51 degrees. Had a cup of coffee and an English muffin with canadien bacon and a scrambled egg. More on the nutritional thing later. Woke my youngest up at 5:30 and oured her out of bed. Luckily she IS a morning person and she made a lot of noise and really got us moving! This was also the first real race for Jim (Toxdoc) and so I was excited to see what he thought about the whole thing.
Event warmup:

This race is a little "quirky" as they require you to register between 6:30 and 7:30 and then the OLY race goes off at 8...the sprint doesn't start until 9 and so there is alot of standing around. It is fun to watch the elite group do their swim and transitions...oh to be able to jump on the bike and slide my feet into the shoes already clipped on! So as for me and an event warmup...I got in and swam around a little in the "pristine" waters of the Merrimack...speaking of pristine...Caity was playing on the beach during the OLY swimmers and I swear she found a human arm bone...eeeeewwww!
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year I had a great swim during this race. This year the field had increased from 84 to almost 300...as such there were alot of people in the water in a really small area. In fact, when heading back to shore you were swim directly into the waves coming off of the shore. People were knocking into people all over the place. Also the guards in the kayaks were coming across the course and were in the path of the swimmers. I hit two different kayaks that were sitting in the middle of the course. I was really disappointed with how this was handled and how crowded it was!
What would you do differently?:

Sink a kayak
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I didn't have the greatest place in transition. I was right in the middle of the middle rack of bikes. Transition area was pretty crowded. T1 is included in the bike time so I don't know actuals...plus I always forget to hit the button on my watch...will remember to do this next time...maybe.

Stop the watch
Bike
  • 39m 36s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, as always, this is where the problems started...I have been really trying to figure out what goes wrong on the bike and why do I feel sick (to the point of wanting to vomit) EVERY TIME I RIDE in a race (and only on the bike)...rarely (although it does on occasion) this happen in training. This time I tried really hard to keep the carb load up...I had some gel bloks before the swim and a couple right when I got on the bike...I drank lots of water the day before the race and during the lead up time...had water on the bike too...Always at about 2-3 miles in I start to get really nauseous...and this has been happening for a couple years now....not on every race and so it is kind of unpredictable...but needless to say it starts a spiral of discomfort that makes the race something to simply "get through"...anyway...I felt aweful for a few miles 2-6 and then started to feel a little better. Got through the last of the hills and was happy to see the intersection to finish. I felt really good (muscles, legs, etc) on the bike and really felt I pushed through the hills...but the stomach issues prevented me from really pushing.

Have a stomach-ectomy! Tube feed...anything to fix this gut problem! Anything!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I couldn't get the bike back on the rack as there was stuff everywhere. So I just laid it on the ground. T2 time is in the run...and of course I forget to push the button again. Shoes went on pretty quickly...although not as fast as I wanted...

Running in my "marathon" shoes...no speed laces...maybe for the next race.
Run
  • 18m 39s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I gave up...I felt so bad after the bike...and I had mentally checked out about 10 minutes prior to this...I started to run and really felt I couldn't even do it...my stomach felt as if it was going to explode...no water in T2 so I was really thirsty...people were passing me left and right and from behind...I saw the people on the benches and all I wanted to do was say..."scoot over...let me join you!"
I saw Jim just before the turn around and he looked good...I smiled because I had too...I wanted to stop, stop, stop...made it to the water stop and realized it was a lot shorter than the year before...but I wasn't about to complain and have them make it longer! Took some water and dumped it down my back...ahhhh that felt good...figured if I couldn't help myself I would start sending out encouragement to the people who I was passing...that was nice and I got alot of thank you's and smiles from people on their run! Saw Jim toward the end...but wasn't sure I was going to make it without hurling...was looking for Caity to run with me...but she was on the other side of the line...crossed the finish line...I have never felt so wasted after a race...I really felt like I couldn't even catch my breath...needed "a moment" before I could talk as I thought I was gonna hurl (again...but I didn't).

Figure it out...there's gotta be a reason for the stomach issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...Caity brought everyone ice cream. Listened to the band for a while and relived the event with Jim and his wife Rosalyn. Enjoyed the sunshine and cursed my stomach for letting me down...worried, worried, worried about my performance in a longer race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do I need to say it again...my STOMACH

Event comments:

Last year this was a great race. This year I think it was not as great due to alot more people. If they expect that the field will grow to almost 800 next year then I think the venue is too small for that many people. It was a fun day though and great to see people that I didn't expect to see.

Follow up on the stomach: I spent alot of time Sunday and Monday trying to get some sense of what might be going on. Bottom line is the first approach and possible candidate is reflux during the bike. I have always been plagued by a low level of acid stomach (stress, diet...the works) and so there is a thought that this plus the position on the bike is causing signifcant reflux that is contributing to the stomach problems. Seems to make sense since as soon as I stand up and start to run I feel better...so I have re-evaluated my diet and eliminated those things that might affect the heartburn/reflux...and I will see if I can manage the stomach issues in the next race. Any suggestions from fellow sufferers would certainly be appreciated.

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 69/265
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion sleeveless
Course: Across the river (current flowing right to left) around one buoy and a short downstream ride to the next buoy and back to shore (current left to right)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:36 | 11 miles | 16.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 139/265
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop. Nice slow descent on the first half...some rolling hills on the back side.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:39 | 02.5 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 184/265
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the river...direct sun for most of it...one water stop. I mapped the run after the race and the actual distance was about 1.9 miles...so while my time might look impressive...it is not nearly as impressive as it seemed!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-14 11:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-08-14 1:36 PM
in reply to: #925273

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Wild Cat Sprint Triathlon

Sorry you continue to have stomach issues..not fun!

But you did great and look at those paces...awesome!

When I changed my diet I no longer had reflux or acid issues ever when I used to most every day. For me giving up processed foods was the key. But racing I seem to have an iron stomach and nothing much bothers me.

See you at Cranberry! 

2007-08-14 1:50 PM

New user

You did great nonetheless! I think you will figure out the stomach issues eventually. For me, I just have to find a way to beat the heat so I'm not nauseous LATER in the day. It takes some time to find the right balance of nutrition and everything else.

So you too noticed it seemed shorter this year!? I did it last year and appreciated the small size. If it's like a lot of other FIRM races, they'll cap it at 500 so it doesn't get too out of control next year.
2007-08-15 4:14 PM

Expert
acton, Ma
Way to go Laura!  You did great despite feeling pukey....See you at Cranberry
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Cat Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed