Manitou Springs, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 9s
Overall Rank = 145/1647
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/141
Pre-race routine:

Same as always. Ate a bowl of cereal with bananas, and a cup of coffee 3 hrs. before race time.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup jogged about a half mile or so. Figured I would jog the first mile of the race anyways and let all the meatheads race to the trailhead.
Run
  • 3h 22m 9s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 15m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Managed to run most of the way to tree line. Felt like my pacing was right on. Passed a lot of people from my wave (the second wave) through the W's. Started catching the tail end of the previous wave that started a half hour prior to mine at No-Name Creek. This part was really tough cuz I was trying really hard to get through all the traffic without burning myself up. Felt like I probably lost about 15 minutes just navigating through the Death March of people walking up the mountain. Some people in the first wave started yelling "Second wave coming through", which was really cool. People started moving out of the way then and it was greatly appreciated. Although I called "Passing on the left" to this girl and she told me I'd have to find a way around her, cuz she wasn't moving off her line (bitch!). That shit is wrong. Got to tree line and started feeling the altitude. My run turned into a rhythmic shuffle, which I had anticipated and was prepared for. Treeline to summit was really tough. I just focused on keeping my shuffle going and not looking up to the top. I was ready to really hurt today and I did. I got to the finish and stumbled across the finish line. A medic jumped out and helped me out of the traffic. From there Megan took over the "helping me walk" duty. This was one of the toughest things I've ever done. Like I said I was ready to hurt, and I did. I'm excited that my time qualified me to run first wave next year and run the marathon as well. I can't wait to do it again!
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and drank water. Had a hard time standing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Traffic! All the people on the trail slowed me down quite a bit. Starting first wave next year will be much better. I was doing really well till I caught the first wave. From there it was just a matter of getting around them without sprinting or jumping up onto a harder line. That sapped me of a lot of energy.

Event comments:

The race was awesome and I would recommend it to everyone. There were so many volunteers and Search and Rescue was out there in force. Every time I passed them or an aid station I thanked them for coming out. I'm gonna try and make an effort to do that more often. Can't wait till next year. Great race!!!

Last updated: 2007-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:22:09 | 13.32 miles | 15m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/141
Overall: 145/1647
Performance: Good
Course: 13.32 miles up Pikes Peak with 7,815 feet of elevation gain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %-6lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 4:03 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent

2007-08-19 6:20 PM
in reply to: #931058

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
3:21 is an excellent time for the Ascent...great job! I've done the race a few times over the years...last time was in 2003 (the year I decided I would get myself back in shape). This race really takes it out of you...seriously the hardest event I have ever finished! From A-Frame it is just brutal! I feel your frustration with the person that didn't want to let you pass on the trail. Next year you'll be in the first wave...so hopefully you won't have to deal with that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed