General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dumb questions about guys bike shorts and shaving... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-16 11:22 AM

User image

Gilbert, Az
Subject: dumb questions about guys bike shorts and shaving...
Okay let me just say I'm new to swimming and cycling but have retracted my old motto of "Friends don't let friends wear bike shorts" and I can discern the importance of giving up my "surfer shorts" in the pool.
My current personal dilema is that I have hairy legs...it is light blonde but hairy (to much info?). On early morning rides with the guys it doesn't bother me at all but when around the women it makes me unexplicably very self conscious...sad but true. I don't think having hairy legs ever bothered me until I started wearing cycling shorts because guys are supposed to have leg hair and one looks very streamlined in spandex then Poof! hair. Okay now that we've established my maturity level, let's move on to my questions.
So I guess my question for the guys is how many of you shave your legs and how does one go about such an under taking? Does it make one feel wierd, dry, itch, get stubble in wierd places...I dunno? I'm sure most of the women of BT shave their legs, so please ladies, any thoughts would be appreciated...

2004-10-16 11:32 AM
in reply to: #73132

Champion
Subject: RE: dumb questions about guys bike shorts and shaving...

Well, to start off, I've been shaving mine for 30 years.  You get used to it, and once your legs have a bit of a tan, they look less conspicuous than you imagine.  I don't get comments directly from women, but more in a backhanded manner from my wife, as they seem to tell her at the health club "Your husband sure does have good looking legs!"

Start by "rough shaving"...taking as much hair off with a hair trimmer first, to get it down to a manageable stubble.  From that point I use a Remington 3-head electric shaver, but the best way is to lather up and use a NEW disposable razor.  Work on one section at a time, lather your leg below the knee before starting on the top.  Take care around your knee cap, ankle, shin bone, behind the knee.  The worst razor burn will probably come in your hamstring area.  It'll take a few times to get a routine down, and to get your skin adjusted to the fact that you are mowing the grass instead of letting it grow wild.  Expect a few nicks here and there, but in general it's a painless process.

Oh yes, almost forgot...be ready to be surprised at the weird feeling when you put on your pants and when you pull the bed sheets over them.  Yeah, you get used to that too!

2004-10-16 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Ok, I broke out and did the top half of my torso (sternum up) and it just sucked!!! I'm one of those guys who gets ready in 15 min, so the idea of having to shave every other day or two makes me cringe. Now I've got really hairy legs and arms and just basically thinking to myself that if I were to do the whole body my utopia of 15 min get ready mornings is looking more like 30 min.

I just don't think I can bring myself to do it.

P.S. pjsuperhawk...are you donig the GCC triathlon?
2004-10-16 2:39 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I'm a huge supporter of men shaving their legs. So shave 'em, shave 'em, shave 'em!!! Guys who don't just look funny in bike shorts or swimsuits.

My husband (a cyclist not triathlete) shaves them and does the same thing with using clippers first and then a razor. If it's been a while then he may wait a day from the time he uses the clippers to the razor.

Make sure you use some kind of shaving cream or at least soap when you use a razor. You'll be less likely to get razor burn.

The best time to shave is when you are in the shower or immediately after you shower. If you're ever about to shave and have goose bumps then get warm before you shave because if you shave when you're cold then you are more likely to get razor burn.

Since you have light hair then you'll probably have to shave every two or three days.

One last thing, shave you legs using warm to hot water. When done shaving, rinse your legs in cold water. It will help close up the pores so that if you've cut yourself then you won't bleed as much.

That's shaving 101 from a woman's perspective...
2004-10-16 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
I just did it for the first time earlier this week. It's still a little strange, but, it is also pretty neat. Max's advice is prefect on how to do it. Go ahead and do it, if you don't like the feeling it will grow back. Just make sure to stretch well before attempting the Chinese acrobat routine.
2004-10-16 4:47 PM

User image

Gilbert, Az
thanks for the input...the legs will be shaved...updates to follow

2004-10-16 4:51 PM

Online or Offline

pjsuperhawk - 2004-10-16 11:22 AM  when around the women it makes me unexplicably very self conscious...sad but true. 

I'm sure most of the women of BT shave their legs, so please ladies, any thoughts would be appreciated...

He he he....I can't belive a MAN has caved in to what he thinks are women's preferences. It's nice, but not necessary pj. I like shaved legs. max has some great gams - we've seen pictures & his technique for shaving is perfect - but I don't recall if he mentioned to MOISTURIZE after. If you're going to spend all that time shaving, you might as well take the 15 seconds to rub 'em down with lotion. CAUTION: Someone earlier said that once you shave, you won't be able to stop touching yourself.

2004-10-16 4:54 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Does Ron shave his legs? If so then we all must follow our leader!
2004-10-16 6:10 PM
in reply to: #73198

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
TypeA Girl Pilot - 2004-10-16 3:51 PM

pjsuperhawk - 2004-10-16 11:22 AM  CAUTION: Someone earlier said that once you shave, you won't be able to stop touching yourself.

I believe that was me. The touching is a nuisance but everytime I pass a mirror I take a prolonged look. Sometimes I go out of my way to find a mirror.
2004-10-16 9:04 PM

User image

Gilbert, Az
Casey, tell me more about the GCC triathlon because I didn't know it existed...

Okay, this is a little over dramatic but the legs are shaved...they look and feel fast. I haven't developed the problem with touching myself but the calves look very defined and ready to ride tomorrow. No razor burn or cuts... I did miss a couple of spots but it will be a quick touch up. Lotion is goood.

So TypeA Pilot Girl, What do you fly or is that refering to your speed on the course? I'm a "TypeA Pilot Guy" but the plane has been in the shop for about 13 months and won't be out for another 8 months. Uggg...

2004-10-17 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
PJ you can find out more about the GCC race a www.trifamilyracing.com it's gonna cost a little extra to sign up for this Halloween race since it's past the cut off date for registration but you could always sign up for the Thanksgiving race. The Thanksgiving race should be interesting since it's a run/bike/swim order...my kind of order...but I'll be missing that one cause I'll be out of town.

Anyhow, all you AZ people can check out that website for some small Phoenix Tri's.

2004-10-17 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
I shave from the waist up. Only do it every few days... Once you do it, the upkeep is easy and quick. I just do it in the shower when I feel like it and it takes no time at all.
2004-10-17 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Quincy, MA.
I shave my legs and chest area I was never a fan of hair anyways I used nair for men for the first time it stinks smell wise
but then after that shaving is easy feels kindve weird but very clean looking I like it.
and If any of you guys ever want to wear a mini skirt you'll be ready. chicks like men shaven from what I've experienced so far.
So go do it
I do not have a hairy back thank god but I have no Idea what I'd do if I did.

Edited by sp1173 2004-10-17 11:43 AM
2004-10-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #73249

Online or Offline

pjsuperhawk - 2004-10-16 9:04 PM  So TypeA Pilot Girl, What do you fly or is that refering to your speed on the course? I'm a "TypeA Pilot Guy" but the plane has been in the shop for about 13 months and won't be out for another 8 months. Uggg...

LOL PJ! On tri a course, I'm like a 150 on final with the carb heat on, full flaps. With about a 60 kt headwind. LOL

I'm in an Embraer Regional Jet (ERJ-135/140/145). The only superhawk I am familiar with is a helo, or motorcycle....and I would hang myself if I owned a plane, I'm not even fond of sitting and riding in the back anymore. The romance is gone........killed by a career. SELL the plane and get a bike! Or 20  

Good luck with the plane. Hopefully your shaving won't be as high maintenance as the plane. 

Partial view of my office:

(emb145.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
emb145.jpg (74KB - 17 downloads)
2004-10-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #73353

User image

Gilbert, Az
Nice office...better view than mine...
Lol
I had a superhawk motorcycle for about a year but sold it when I was laid off. I normally fly a Cessna 210 but have tons of experience in a 150.. My father was flying it (we share it) and was forced to do a gear up landing in Texas. But a regional Jet, I'm jealous...but I can understand your loss of romance...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dumb questions about guys bike shorts and shaving... Rss Feed