Hartford Marathon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 45s
Overall Rank = 13/290
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at least 2+ hours before the race. At my typical toast with peanut better. Drank tons of water and gatoraid. A fair amount of stretching the night before.
Event warmup:

Felt horrible during my warm-up. Jogged 16 minutes and came back a complete, sweaty mess. It was VERY muggy out, even at 7:30am. Changed into racing shoes and singlet, did a couple 50-60 meter strides, and headed to the starting line.
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't done a race/temp run in about a year, so I had no idea how I was going to feel. Started out with a solid effort, and had no idea what pace I was actually running. Hit the mile in 6:09, which was the fastest mile I've run in about 3 years. Kept it up through mile 2, at which point I had lost any/all contact with the group ahead of me. I hadn't pushed that hard in a long time, so I decided to "shut it down" over the last mile and coast in. I did, however, give a little kick at the end. The 31 second 0.1mile equates to a 5:10 mile, which was quite unexpected. I was very happy with this race, as it was my first race back since surgery. I couldn't have been happier!
What would you do differently?:

I had hoped to do an "acceleration run" where I could start slowly and pick up the pace after each mile. Instead, I kind-of ran that backwards. (doh!)
Post race
Warm down:

Did a very slow 20 minutes around the cove. At some fruit, drank lots of water. Later in the afternoon I biked 35miles to help loosen things up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't have any speedwork, tempo runs, or intervals under my belt. Still working on creating a solid base with strength.

Event comments:

Beth puts on great races in CT. Awards were quick, course markings were good. No chip timing, but the miles were marked with volunteers yelling out times. Even the 3rd mile was marked, so you knew exactly what your 3.0 and 3.1 splits were.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 13/290
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:09 Mile 2: 6:15 Mile 3: 6:48 Last .1: .31 Total: 19:45
Course: Flat, fast, good pavement with one tight corner going around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes