United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 54s
Overall Rank = 13/92
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, couldn't sleep. I ate my bagel and drank 1 bottle of water. Left the house at 4am for the 80 mile drive to Manchester. I got to the event at 5:30am and there was no one there. Finally around 6am people started showing up. They had moved the race up a 1/2 hour. Registered and got my transition area setup. Went to the bathroom about 15 times. Took a gel at 7 am.
Event warmup:

Jogged 1/2 mile to check the legs. Took a spin on the bike to check the mechanicals.
Swim
  • 03m 41s
  • 219 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was last and the cold water felt great. I was able to pass 3 people in the pool with the last guy in my age group. I ended up beating him by :11 and getting 3rd in AG. Everybody said there arms were heavy with the swim being last.
What would you do differently?:

Went as good as I hoped for.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was a low budget tri with NO chip timing. They had both transitions in the bike split. Ran in..running shoes off..bike helmet and bike shoes on...off I went. Went perfect!

Nothing
Bike
  • 42m 5s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was an out and back with a headwind on the way out and lots of rolling hills to climb with a nice tailwind and fast downhills on the way back. I was able to average about 26mph on the way back. I was trying to run down an age grouper who had beaten me on the run. With 1.5 miles left he came around me. I had passed him in transition and didn't even know it. I let him go for a .5 mile then I hammered the last mile and flew by him.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Included in bike split. Bike helmet, bike shoes and socks off...goggles on while running to the pool...went perfect.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was at the start of this triathlon. We all lined up...Leslie said 3..2..1..and we were off. I had only run one time since the Fall Creek Falls Oly with my major hamstring cramp. The legs felt heavy with a slow turnover. I ended up striding a little longer which helped but I tired quicker. I stayed with the lead group until 1/2 mile into the race and then slacked off just a bit. I had a few runners pass me and I passed a few but I kept my pace pretty even over the whole run.

I went out pretty fast and was hoping to get some mile split times but...the miles weren't marked. Maybe hold back a little at the start and speed up as the run progresses.
Post race
Warm down:

Layed in the kiddie pool to cool off. Grabbed a bottle of water and my cliff bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my 6th tri in 7 weeks. I can only get in 1 swim, 1 bike and 1 run workout a week before I need to taper for the race. It's really starting to take its toll on my body. I'm not getting fully recovered and it's time to race again.

Event comments:

Leslie Trussler has put on this race the last two years and has done a great job. She has gotten some very good volunteer help and has the community behind her...there was even a USAT race official at the race and he gave out 3 drafting penalties. I really like racing the smaller sprint tris because of the relaxed atmoshere and the people you get to meet.

Last updated: 2007-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:41 | 219 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 15/92
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:05 | 14 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 17/92
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back on city streets and major highway
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:08 | 03.11 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 14/92
Course: This course had trails, grass and city streets with some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes