Ultramax
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 2s
Overall Rank = 30/226
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:30, took a shower and went down to breakfast at the hotel. I had some scrambled eggs and 2 sausage links and thats about all. There was nothing there that was appetizing. I went back to the room and ate a granola bar. I went to the race site and set up transition and then did a warmup
Event warmup:

I ran about 1/2 a mile then I stretched well. I volunteered yesterday for the Halfmax and I was on my feet all day, so my legs were a little stiff. I went down to the water and hopped in. It was a little cold that morning so I wanted to get in, and get used to the temperature. I got out and shivered on the beach until we got started
Swim
  • 09m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is not the official time, because the timing mat didnt work for me and my swim and T1 are together. I did however stop my watch at the swim exit, so I consider this to be a fairly accurate time.
I dont know what it is about mass starts, but it freaks me out!!! I started out in the middle-front of the pack and as soon as we hit the water I get clobbered by a whole bunch of people. At one point I had to stop and tread water so that I could regroup. After that I proceeded with any problems. Overall I was disappointed with my swim, because i think i can do it faster. I will just have to do more tris with open water next year.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably start in the back, find a rhythm and work my way through the pack. Or just work on open water swimming in a group more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I did pretty well here, partly because I saw that my father in law had beat me out of the swim (I am always faster than him when we swim together) I past a few people on the long hill up to transition. This hill was about 1/4 mile long and consisted of grass and asphalt. I got on the bike fairly well, but had trouble clipping in.

I need to be able to jump on the bike with the shoes already on there.
Bike
  • 55m 51s
  • 19 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I think this went pretty well. I pushed hard because i knew this was where I could make up some time. I passed about 8 people and got passed by about 3 others. There was this one guy (who i didnt know was in my age group at the time) that was pretty evenly matched with me. I would pass him going up hills and he would pass me on the flats. I thought his age group # said something in the 30s but I guess I was wrong. If i would have known he was in my age group, i probably would have pushed even harder. I could gone a bit faster I think

Pushed a little harder to leave the guy in my age group
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I hard a bit of trouble getting my feet back on my bike shoes after i took them out. I couldnt them to flip back up to parallet to the ground. That cost me about 5 seconds or so. I also had a hard time finding where my bike was supposed to go. It took a second or 2 to find my row. Otherwise, I think it went well. I didnt have any problems getting my shoes on and I was out of there pretty fast.

work on my dismount and remember where my rack is
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good. I went out at about a 7:50 pace. I think i slowed a bit for the second mile because it was really hilly and then finished strong for the last mile. I liked the course even though it was hilly. I did get passed by the guy in my age group and he ended up beating my by 2 minutes and it was all on the run. He ran a 21 min to my 23 min. I am getting faster, but I am not fast enough yet. It will come with time. I am going to focus primarily this winter on running, so hopefully i can come back next year an keep up with the other runners.

run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

jogged a bit and stretched. I ate and drank some water (and a beer)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I think it was a good race for where I am at physically. If I lose that last 10 lbs i will be faster, but that is my goal for the winter

Event comments:

I like Ultramax events. Mark and Shandra put on a good race. I plan on doing more of them next year.

Last updated: 2007-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:18 | 500 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 76/226
Performance: Bad
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: The course was an open water swim with a mass start. You had to in a U shape counter-clockwise around 2 bouys
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:55:51 | 19 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 26/226
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: there were some pretty good uphills and downhills and speedbumps to negotiate while in the resort. The county roads were smooth with gentle rollers. There was a bit of a head wind on some of the flat spots. There were a few more hills going back into the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:18 | 03 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 38/226
Performance: Average
Course: Lots of hills, lots of gravel, lots of hills (i know i said that twice)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Club National Championship

2007-09-19 8:17 AM
in reply to: #968627

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Club National Championship

Man, you really killed the bike course out there. Nice job! And you've gotta be excited about the run after that tough of a bike course. Congrats on the great finish.

And thanks again for being a volunteer.  You're clutch.

~B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Club National Championship Rss Feed