General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PVCs and working out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-02 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: PVCs and working out
Does anyone else suffer from PVCs? I have been getting more of them lately, sometimes every 2nd or 3rd beat. I have been worked up extensively, structurally normal heart, but the PVCs are no longer being suppressed with exercise. I've been on a beta blocker for 4 years now which doesn't seem to be working anymore. these things are so frustrating, they cause shortness of breath and just was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this and been prescribed anything that works well. Pam

2007-10-03 9:15 AM
in reply to: #988854

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: PVCs and working out
PVCs are a surprisingly common problem. If you've had all the appropriate workup including the echo, stress and occasionally angio (I recommend the CT angio - lots easier), in most cases there is little else to do. Beta blockade with drugs like Toprol may help decrease the symptoms by reducing the "kick" of the beat that follows the compensatory pause. My experience - I stopped taking the toprol because it made me feel sluggish, and did not decrease symptoms. Once convinced there was no organic heart disease and no exercise restriction, I concluded alot of my symptoms were due to anxiety about the premature beats. When I stop worrying about them , they settle. When I exercise, they go away. I have also found that avoidance of caffeine and other stimulants helps decrease the myocardial excitability. I still have occasional bad days where I'll settle into a bi- or tri-geminy like heart rate, but these times are fortunately rare. If I recall correctly, this issue has been discussed here before. Try searching for PVCs for more info.
Hope that helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PVCs and working out Rss Feed