General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GA Tri-Newbie-N-Training (Re-Post) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-11 8:03 AM

Subject: GA Tri-Newbie-N-Training (Re-Post)
Whaazzuuupp! I posted this over in the Introduction forum and will post here for the natives to view. Hopefully this doesn't violate forum rules:

GA native just moved to Powder Springs. I road ride, run, and mountain bike. I took swimming lessons but after two failed lessons I realize that I still have a fear of water and I cannot kick from the hip!. I love running the trails at the "hooch" and on occassion will run the comet. I usually try to do something all year, weather permitting and I for some odd reason I don't mind running or riding in the cold.

For the past 5 years I've kept the following run schedule:
Silver Comet 10k (Peachtree qualifier)
Peachtree 10k
Cobb Classic 10k
Silver Comet Half Marathon 13.1
Atlanta Half Marathon

As faith would have it I'd end up buying a house near the Silver Comet. Go figure.

In the past two years I've incorporated:
Tour de' Cure
MACC one Love Century (this was my first year and was supposed to do 50 but ended up completing 80 miles because I got lost on the course (my fault i didn't pay attention to the map). I also did the Cobb Classic that following Monday so it was the first time I'd performed races so close together. I felt good afterwards so I'm ready to go to the next level.).

I used to ride in to work from Decatur to buckhead twice a week and then would do another road ride on the weekend totaling about 80 for the week. For the past couple of weeks I've been riding the Silver Comet starting from mile 0 to mile 40 and back totaling 80 miles. The goal here is to get into Century conditioning so I'd like to push it to 100 but once I get to mile 40 I'm usually ready to turn around so I need to find the motivation to do the remaining 10. I've yet to venture out to Silk Sheets or ride the gaps so I'm thinking it's only a matter of time.

I'm ready to take the next step in my journey to become an Ironman so I'm ready for my first duathlon. I know there are some die-hards here so I'm hoping to get some good advice on training and dieting. Being that I usually ride and run alone I also need a good location to train. I figure I'd ride 13, park the bike, run out 3 miles and back. Not sure, still working.

I ride a '06 Giant OCR3 which I bought last year in April, and a Giant 06 Yukon (mtn bike), which I bought last march. Both bikes are awesome and as soon as my budget clears I'm looking to purchase a good Tri bike. So if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.
Well I've said enough. Hopefully I'll get some good feedback and direction. I'll continue to browse the site and offer myself where ever needed.

Great job. Glad to be here.

2007-10-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1002199

Master
Subject: RE: GA Tri-Newbie-N-Training (Re-Post)
Welcome aboard! As you can see there are tons of GA peeps here and I'm sure you will run into us in the coming months at various races.

Good luck with your training!
2007-10-11 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Marv I live in dallas only a few miles from the paulding chamber. There are some great road rides in this area and we have been working on the mtb/horse trails on the side of the silver comet. They will kick your tail!
Would be great to start a training group out this way. Anyway check out atlbike.org there are maps of the different areas and if you are feeling good my friend posted a mtb ride for sun at 8 a.m. from the rambo trailhead. It is under the mixed loop and is a fun ride. Poster is crockett.
Be good to see you or others there.
John.
2007-10-18 12:51 PM

New user

I have posted once before about trying to find a training group in the Dallas area. I will be moving to Dalls in the next 3 weeks or so. I'm am definitely out of shape...but looking for a good, friendly, motivating group to ride/train/swim with. Suggestions are always welcome. I am already looking forward to the 2008 tri season...provided I find a place to train!!!!

Heidi
2007-10-18 1:44 PM

I too would be interested in training because I seriously need to start working on my swimming and overall conditioning. Case in point is that I need to register and start training for the Silver Comet 1/2 coming up next week but haven't had the time like in previous years.
I broke the derailleur on my yukon mtn bike while up in Yargo almost two months ago and haven't had time to replace it due to moving. Once I settle in I'm going to focus on some much needed repairs and even look at converting an old BCA frame into a single speed. For some strange reason I mtn bike more in colder weather. The goal this year is to ride, run, and swim as much as possible so let me know more about the training team. I need to increase my times in all areas so I think team training will definitely help.
2007-10-18 3:30 PM

New user

I am interested in finding somewhere to swim. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone have any advice on bike trainers? I look in Nashbar occasionally. I'm thinking of asking "Santa" for one this year! Although I'll be living close to Dallas (but not really), I will be working in Douglasville. Any suggestions on good gyms to work out at? Thanks!

Heidi

2007-10-18 4:16 PM

I just moved to powder springs off the Thornton road exit so I don't know much about any gyms in that area. All I know about swimming is that the aqua centers located in Cobb offer classes at really good prices to local Cobb residents. They teach the basics and the teachers are really patient with beginners. After two classes and still not being able to progress without fins I've come to the realization that I need a coach or trainer to help work on my weaknesses. I work in Buckhead and had the fortune of running into the owner of the Sonz of Fitness located on Howell Mill and discovered that she also teaches swimming but I haven't committed to any lessons. I did sign up for a few workout sessions and they are intense. So if you're looking for some "hardcore" condition training then check them out.
Good luck on your search!

Oh yeah! For bike trainers you could also take a look at Performance:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/category_trainers.cfm

Edited by marvinc 2007-10-18 4:19 PM
2007-10-19 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Heidi I swim at the YMCA off dennis kemp rd and stilesboro. 25 yd pool. There is also a west cobb aquatic center off macland and 176 just past macechern high school. Not sure of the spelling! Nice pool but gets busy with swim teams. Then the only other close pool is next to the cobb civic center. There aren't any other indoor pools that I am aware of on this side of town.

I live close to the paulding chamber of commerce off the silver comet mile 19.5 and run/ride the roads and comet on a regular basis and would love to have a group form out here. We already have 3 /Marv/me/you!

As in my other post go to atlbike.org and there are group rides on that forum. and if anyone wants to ride with the group but would like to ride with someone that will not drop them just tell me and we can ride with the group.
Of course if you drop me you are on your own!!
Look forward to meeting you guys.
John.
2007-10-19 4:28 PM

New user

Me drop someone...hahahaha...that had me laughing. Uhhh...I'm SLOW. I mean, on my fastest day...going downhill...I probably only go 17mph...hahaha. Seriously though, I probably avg 15-16 mph. As far as running...I haven't really run since April. Once I get settled in, I plan on giving that the ole college try again. I'm not fast. Probably b/c I'm lugging too much extra weight around. But, I tri (and try). And, when I was marathon training, we did the Galloway method. I have found out that some many other people don't do that. I ran with the Douglas county rogue runners back in Jan/Feb on one of my visits. Nice folks...about killed my a$$. Way too fast for me. No walk breaks. I was sucking wind!

But seriously....I'm all for trying to form a group in the area. As someone who is going to be new to the city...it is my mission to make new friends. So, if I can help get this group off the ground...say the word!

Okay, so now I need a goal! What am I going to start training for????

Heidi
2007-10-19 6:02 PM

Sounds like the making of something kewl and that we need to start working on a schedule or plan to meet. I'm up near mile 10 or 11 off the Silver comet so let me know when you're riding again. I'm trying to see if I want to continue to drive down to mile 1 and ride out to 40 or start from mile 11 and ride out to 50. I haven't decided if I'm riding tomorrow or Sunday morning but I know I will ride and run this weekend. When training for road races I run the trails more than on flat surfaces.
As for goals here's one depending on which area you're looking to start with:
Running:
Silver Comet 10k March '08. (Peachtree qualifier)
If you're feeling froggy you can start training for the Silver Comet 1/2 marathon next week.

I figure everyone slips during the holidays but if you're looking to prepare for something sooner I'm sure we can find something in and around the city.

I don't ride to get dropped! I also don't ride to slow anyone down. I understand that the ultimate goal is to increase time and improve conditioning so I continue to ride whenever possible but when riding with slower riders always take them into consideration and try to keep the faster ones in my sites, when possible. :->

Swimming:
The swimming teams seemed to train regurlary at the aqua center in Cobb when I was there and the price of membership seemed high at the time. I'm not sure if anything has changed since. From what I hear most of the LA Fitness centers have pools but I haven't been able to bring myself to joining one simply for swimming. Once I hit the big times I'm gonna add a pool and one of them fancy endless trainers to it.
Cycling:
From where I sit 15 - 16mph average is pretty good. I say that because I have a hard time with my averages. Some think it's a limitation of the bike but I think it's because I HATE spinning which doesn't help my conditioning. I usually ride in "big gear" and visibly struggle when it comes to riding with others and climbing hills.

Note to self:
Galloway method:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

I've never believed in stopping during runs and always wondered why people would do so when they're trying to beat or make time. I also struggle towards the end of races and see where others appear fresher. I've started reading the galloway articles and it's very informative. I'm going to take a look at the half marathon work-out plan and see if there's anything I can integrate into my current (half-thought) training regiment.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GA Tri-Newbie-N-Training (Re-Post) Rss Feed