New York Road Runners
31F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 22s
Overall Rank = 4683/744
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 71/74
Event warmup:

Walked/ran for 14 minutes. I wanted to do a mile before hand since I was scheduled for a 10 miler.
Run
  • 1h 56m 22s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to walk for 7 minutes and run for 3 minutes. I stuck to that plan for most of the race. On about the 4th run interval my left knee locked up on me, so I stopped running 2 minutes into that interval. On the next run interval I ran a little slower and the pain was not there.

This was my first running race in many years. It felt a little strange. Since I was on this walk/run plan I never had anyone to race with. I walked faster then most of the walkers around me, and slower then the runners. I did find myself actually catching up with people who were doing more running then I was. I kept keying in on this one lady wearing a Nike Women's Marathon sweatshirt from this years race. I wanted to eventually catch up with her and talk about that race. I did finally catch up with her after 7 miles. We talked for a bit, on my next walk interval she passed me, but when I did my next run interval I passed her, and stayed ahead.

I'm not used to everyone being tuned out with their iPods. I was not listening to music because I was making sure I heard the beep on my watch for the interval timer.

I was very pleased with how this race went. Considering that the walk interval was over twice as long as the run interval, and that I sustained under 13 minutes a mile, it gives me hope that by February I'll easily be able to do 11:27 miles for Seville Marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked very fast to subway because I had to be in Greenwich Village before 12:30 PM. Stretched on subway platform waiting for train. It was not an ideal cool-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to run longer. I'm trying to be cautious as I make my way back from marathon walker to runner.

Last updated: 2007-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:22 | 9.32 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 0/744
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops in Central Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4