General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blister isn't healing :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-16 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Derry, NH
Subject: Blister isn't healing :(

I have had a blister on the ball of my left foot for about 2 months now.  I just went to the doctor a week ago and she said that it is in fact a blister but is not infected and there is no fluid. I'm not completely sure how it happened, either when I started wearing a new pair of dress shoes or from some rocky trail running that I had started doing.  Anyways, I have tried everything I can possibly think of but can not make it go away, it goes across the entire width of my foot right now.  It started off not that bad and I just ran through the pain, then it got worst so I laid off for a while, once it started healing up I decided to go for a run (I know, big oops) and then it got worst again and I have not been able to get it to heal since (this was a month ago).  I've tried different socks, blister bandages, wrapping my feet, ointments, etc... The doctor says all I can do is stay off my feet and let it heel but I don't know how much more I can stay off them then I already am.  She also suggested seeing someone for custom insoles but I've been recently laid off from work so that isn't an option and I've never had a problem up until now.  I'm tempted to just start running through the pain and hope that it turns into a calis.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make this go away would be much appreciated.  I really can't stand the thought of not running for much longer.

Thanks,
-Zoo

2007-12-16 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1105313

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Blister isn't healing :(

First, I'm sorry you're dealing with this blister for 2 months now, and I'm sorry about your lay off from work.  Although I can't help much with the job thing (though I am in Cambridge, MA, and am also looking to get into new work -- we could talk prospects perhaps) I did see some good advice about blisters recently.  It's from a guy who wrote an e-book about marathoning.  I'll paste it below, and hope that it helps.

Hi sunny,

Here's a quick tip on what you should do if you
get a blister:

If you are like most people, you will find that
you develop a blister occasionally during
training. This is normal.

However, depending on the severity of the blister
you could be out of action for days... if not
months. That is especially so if your blister
becomes infected.

So what should you do if you develop a blister?

The best way to handle a blister is to pop it
in order to drain the fluid.

Do this by firstly washing your hands and the
effected area in order to reduce the risk of
infection. Then with a steralised needle pierce
two small holes on opposite sides of the blister
and gently press on the blister with a cotton
wool pad and wipe any excess fluids away.

This removes the fluid as efficiently as
possible. Your blister will heal quicker if
you leave the roof of the blister on.

After all the fluid is drained, lubricate the
blister with an antiseptic ointment. Then place
a plaster over the top of the blister in order
to help it heal quicker.

If you follow the above guidelines when you
develop a blister then you shouldn't have to
put your training on hold for the usual days...
if not weeks if it would normally become
infected.

sunny, you can find more valuable tips
on what to do if you develop a blister in your
free report 'How To Avoid Blisters' available
for a limited time at:

http://www.MarathonBible.com/offer.html

Warmly
David Styles

"Twenty years from now you will be more
disappointed by the things that you didn't
do than by the ones you did do. So throw
off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe
harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
2007-12-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1105431

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Blister isn't healing :(

Did you see a regular doc or a podiatrist?

Five days out from my half ironman, I had a blister that became infected. It was extremely large (got bigger and bigger as the day went on), gross, and painful. My podiatrist cut the skin away, cleaned it up, and put some purple stuff on it. Five days later, I ran the entire leg of the half ironman without ever feeling a single thing (not even an awareness) from the blister. I know yours isn't infected, but it seems to me there's something else that can be done to get rid of it. It shouldn't hurt after after two months; if anything, it would just turn into a callus at two months.

I would try to find one of those products that dries it out, but I don't know what any are called. Also, try maybe using blistoband or something on it. But, I don't have any experience as I've never used anything on my blisters...except for what the doc gave me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blister isn't healing :( Rss Feed