General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for places to swim and get a bike near Totowa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-20 9:08 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for places to swim and get a bike near Totowa
Hi all,

I'm new to training for triathlons, my target first race is the Endless Summer sprint tri at LBI in September 08 (although I'm thinking about doing a warmup one sometime sooner). I just posted my "hello" message in the Introduce Yourself forum.

I live in Totowa (Passaic county) but workout at work in Jersey City. My gym does not have a pool, and I need to find a place to swim, preferably somewhere close to home that I can go to late evenings after the kids go to bed. I would prefer not to get a full gym membership for this, so either a per-session fee or a swimming program I can join would be ideal. My swimming skills can definitely use a lot of work. The 2 places I'll be looking at are the Montclair and Garfield YMCAs. Any opinions on those or other places that I should consider?

Lastly, I need a bike. Any recommendations for local bike shops? I was going to wait until the spring to get a bike since it's too cold/icy to ride now, but I had a suggestion that this is a good time to buy because of year-end specials. I'm a beginner to bike riding (although I've been doing a lot of spinning at the gym), so a friendly shop to walk me through finding the right bike would be most helpful.

Thanks!

2007-12-22 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1111356

Over the rainbow and Into the Woods
Subject: RE: Looking for places to swim and get a bike near Totowa

Hi!

I would recommend Westwood cycle in Westwood because that was where I got my bike this past summer. Alan and the crew was very helpful. great mechanics and just a friendly group of guys. VERY HELPFUL!

I'm also new to training for tri but I don't have a target race yet....atleast not until I can get myself to a pool and see what I can do. Riding and running is pretty much all I do at present time. I do have a trainer for the bike and a treadmill to keep me moving when the weather outside is too cold. I am going to looking into the Y here in Ridgewood and Hackensack...Please let me know about the Y in monclair and garfield....both towns are about 25 mins away for me.

thanks!

http://westwoodcycle.com/

2007-12-23 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1114773

User image

Thanks for the suggestion Tbird, Westwood cycle looks like 25 minutes from me, I'll be sure to check it out.  I haven't been to the Y's yet, I'll stop by sometime after New Years, I'll let you know how it goes.  I don't feel terribly nervous about swimming yet since the tri is still several months off and I feel like I'm making good progress on the other 2 sports, but I know that come spring/early summer I'm going to be feeling different...
2007-12-23 7:47 PM

Over the rainbow and Into the Woods

Hi.

I would also suggest Ridgewood cycle in Ridgewood...they are a bigger shop than westwood and more selection but the help is not so the friendly and service is lukewarm. I started out here when I was shopping for my bike and ended up at westwood and there was a HUGE difference in service and help. http://www.ridgewoodcycle.com/

One other place worth checking out is piermont bike in Piermont NY. Heard great things about them but have not been there yet. http://www.piermontbike.com/

Do you know of any other facilities worth checking besides the Y?

Theresa.

2007-12-28 10:46 AM

User image

I went to westwood cycle last night and spent about 45 minutes talking to Nick and some of the other staff.  Very nice bunch of folks.  I told them I'm a beginner and they were full of information and recommendations and at no time I felt any pressure.  We narrowed down the selections to the giant ocr-1, felt F75 and F85.  I'm going to go back in 2 weekends to test ride the bikes (they only let you do it in daylight on a dry day), make a selection and get fitted.  A very good experience so far and I'll post an update once the sale is completed.  Any comments on the bikes I'm considering?
2007-12-28 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Parsippany, New Jersey

Welcome to both of you.

Make sure whatever bike you purchase from Westwood cycle you get a fit, and ask about followup fits.  Your body may change(if signifigant wgt change), and flexibility, there could be some tweeking to your seat, stem, etc..  which only a trained tech and find and adjust.  Also ask about free tuneups and frame warranty.  I don't have a history with Felt, but I know a few Triathletes who have cracked frames, and the bike shops (out in Morris cty) were able to get new frames..

As for swimming, I do a bulk of it in doors at the JCC in Whippany.  Then usually get on the Wetsuit the last week in May and brave the Open water.  Hot spot is Mountain Lakes just off Rt 46 on the Blouvard.  Usually 10 swimmers there M,W,F mornings before 6 a.m.  Could be difficult coming from the East, and having to fight traffic going Eastbound on Rt80 at 7 a.m.ish....

But what Open water training does for you is HUGH.  No wall, no Standing, No line to follow, etc...  plus if you are going to have a panic attack, might as well do it with other Triathletes who can calm you and coach you.  Happened to me!

Enjoy the hunt for facilities, be safe and injury free.

Oh one last thing.  Two really good races that are within a 30min drive and well organized, Wyckoff (usually in Early June).5m/17m/5m and West Point (middle of August) .5m/16m/5K

2008-01-02 8:40 AM

User image

Thanks for the info Matteight.  Westwood Cycle said they'd do tuneups and adjustments for free for a year after purchase.  I didn't ask about frame warranty but I will on my next visit.  Good suggestion about JCC, I see that there's one in Wayne that's a lot closer to me.  Do you have a general membership to the Whippany one, or do you have an arrangement just for swimming?
2008-01-02 1:43 PM

westwood is great with their service and whatever help you might have. I know I have been in there week in and week out when I first got my bike. very helpful group of guys.
2008-01-14 8:01 AM

User image

I ended up getting my bike (Felt F75) from westwood cycle.  Very good experience, extremely friendly bunch, you can tell that they try to build a relationship rather than just make a quick sale.  They give a year of free service and tuneups and they encouraged me to take advantage of it and bring the bike in frequently and call them with questions (which I'm going to do soon since I may be having an issue with the front derraileur). 
2008-04-03 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
I sent you a reply a few week ago, but dont know if you recived it. Any way L.A Fitness in Wayne off of Hamburg Tpk has a 25m pool. It's 5 min from Totowa. Memberships are $35 and are on a month to month. I have been training there all winter getting ready for the tri season.
They open at 5:00am and close at midnight weekdays and are open from 8:00am to 7:00pm on the weekends. Check it out
2008-04-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1314427

User image

Hi zeroviz, I must have overlooked your reply because I never checked out LA fitness.  Thanks for the info, it looks like they are cheaper and have better hours than the place I ended up joining (Wayne YMHA) and about the same distance from my house.  How busy does the pool get in the evening?

The only other gyms I looked into in the area were Gold's and Ultimate Fitness (at the Holiday Inn), and was surprised to find out that neither had a pool! 

2008-04-04 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1315289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
Avoid Mon, Wed, and Fri 9:00am and Tues, Thru, at 6:00pm they have Aqua Fit Classes For the gray hairs, if you know what i mean. Early mornings are good 5:00 - 8:00am and later in the evenings after 8:00pm. Mid-day berfore 3:00pm is good too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for places to swim and get a bike near Totowa Rss Feed