BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-09-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1676644

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed

Hi everyone,

What a summer it has been, and not in a good way!  Well, except for the mountain climbing trip to the Grand Teton.   My running has been pitiful, my biking has taken a back seat to work, and swimming has been haphazard at best.  It's time to get serious!!!  Our mentor has been out there trudging away, getting ready for another HIM, and I can't seem to put it together enough to even do an Oly. 

Let's all try to get back into this!   GOAL:  Gulf Coast HIM on May 9, 2009!!!!

Edited by Sledge 2008-09-17 9:33 AM

2008-09-23 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
weekly recap - half ironman is close. 2 swims, 2 bikes, 3 runs. Did a very fast (for me) mile swim after a fast run. Did 51 mile bike on borrowed bike and a 12 mile long run. Still don't feel ready but feel better than last 2 weeks.

Whats everyone up to.
2008-09-24 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1691895

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Well - I have been training - keepin steady on the course for GC- HIM!!  I have not ran in any tri's since June...been takin a break and just building on my endurance and strength.  I have been running alot - now the weather is gettin cooler - it's so much nicer for runs and biking....I have been swimming consistently - starting back in the Masters class next month as well.  My runs are coming along - I am running sub 9's most of the time now - and I can see me running a sub 8 maybe someday...but for now - I am happy with where I am with running - major milestone with me running in the 8's...not run like that since I was in the ARMY and was much younger then!!    My weight is right where I want it to be - am 180lbs now - WOW - I have slimmed down !  I had to go and buy new clothes cause all my other stuff just too big for me now.  Noticable dif when running and biking since I am 20lbs lighter....I plan on keepin myself at this weight - between 180-185.  So  - that's what's happenning here...running a 10k race this coming weekend...I am shootin for a sub 60 min finish....I think I can nail this one!  Lookin forward to tri's next season....but for now...just keepin the motor running and makin strides on all 3 sports so come next season I will be kickin some butt I hope!!  

2008-09-25 7:02 AM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Good week last week.  2 bikes total of 74 miles, 3 runs total of 13 miles, and 2 swims for a total of 3200 meters.  The bike and the swims were somewhat difficult to push through as I have become very inefficient, not that I was ever truly efficient.  I am doing quite a bit of weight training as well due to new requirements/standards put in place by my magnificent employer.  Something to the effect that we all have to be lean and mean yet able to carry our body weight in addition to our own through a 250 meter obstacle course.  I am certainly happy that I have my 20 years in now and it is all downhill from here. 

Great job Papa on losing the weight as I have had some issues with that over the last year.  Must have something to do with being almost 40. LOL.

Ken you are an animal and I wish you luck on the upcoming HIM.

2008-09-28 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Well - I have to start this blog off with a big ole congrats to my wife - she PR'd her 10k this weekend!!  Time: 52:08!!  and she placed 2nd in the Athena's ....she finally got her recognition for her hard work and herd her name called as she was awarded her 2nd place medallion...she brought home actual hardware this time!!  not a t-shirt or a hat!!  So - big ups to GyGy...she again proves she is the bomb and makes me one proud hubby!!    As for me - I had to miss this milestone since we had no one to sit the kiddo's for us that morning...I was bummed I missed this race and missed GyGy's award ceromony...but...I did my duty.  So - with that..I decided to run my own 10k distance run this morning...and low and behold...I PR'd my time as well....not as fast as my wife...she's always been a faster runner...but not too shabby for me....I ran it in 54:50 this morning!!  WOOT!!  So - my goal was to run a 10k in under 60 min....so..I did it!!  So - I had no fanfare and no beer waiting for me after my run...I was alone and timed myself...but..in my book...I won...and I am damn proud!!  Anyway - I have another 5k this coming weekend...time to reap the benefits of my last 5k race and bring this one in under 25 min...I am sure I can do it...the last 5k I ran I came out way to quick if you call recall....not gonna do that this time...but I will crank it up since it is a 5k.....I have an itch to break this 25 min mark...and dammit I am gonna scratch it!!  After this race I plan on gettin some more time back on the bike Ken..I know...I can get 100 miles a month in easy...I just gotta make the time.  That's the weekend recap folks..hope you all had a great one!!

Cheers !

2008-09-28 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1701916

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
After this race I plan on gettin some more time back on the bike Ken..I know...I can get 100 miles a month in easy...I just gotta make the time.  That's the weekend recap folks..hope you all had a great one!!

Cheers !

100 mile month will be cake, then u get to start thinking about 100 mile weeks!

2008-09-28 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weekly Recap

3 swims, 1 bike, 4 runs. Semi taper but missed a long ride. Swim was very good with 2 very solid no stop swims of 1650 and 2200 in the mix. Run was tapered, with a long of 5 and an extra short one.

Friday night out was not a good idea this close to race, but I don't do this for a living (thank god).

Guess its time to let the chips fall. This is the first time I am going into a half iron, not feeling good about my bike. Between mechanical issues and fatigue, the last 2 months just haven't been my best here. I am ready to race though and looking forward to some beach time.

Congrats to Cheri on her pr and hardware.

Nice race substitution race Rusty. I knew an hour was too easy for you.

Chappy, go sign up for a 5k, we gotta get you back in the game.

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-09-28 10:18 PM
2008-09-29 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1702479

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey everyone,

It's race season in Florida!  We wait for the weather to cool down, and this is the time of year when all of the running races occur.  I raced for the first time since the 4th of July on Saturday, and really surprised myself.   I've been so miserable this summer -- what a vicious circle.  It would be hot and humid, yet I'd go run anyway.  And of course I'd do terribly, so then I'd get down on myself, which would make the next run even worse.

Then voila, the weather changes!  It's amazing what a difference 10-15 degrees makes, then add some lower humidity and it's really fabulous.  I didn't feel like I was well-trained, but I decided that I needed to be mentally tough and just go for it.  It worked!  This old lady won Grandmasters, PR'd, and ran a sub-8 minute pace. 

So as you can probably tell, I've been a little run-focused lately.  I got a recovery bike in yesterday, and a couple of swims in last week, but mostly I've just been running.  I guess that won't help too much on Saturday -- I'm doing a sprint tri on Pensacola Beach.

And how about Ken -- another HIM this year!  He and Marcy just like to punish themselves, don't you think???  We've all got to work out a schedule for our training -- we only have 7 months until Panama City.

Good luck this weekend Ken!!!

2008-10-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1702470

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
It's official!  PAPA PR'ed the 5k this morning!!!  Time: 24:53!!!  WOOOTT!!!!  I had a great run this morning..huge turnout for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k in Charlotte and what a perfect day for a race.  Temps were in the 50's when I got up at 6 am this morning...by the time we started the race round 7:40 it was in the low 60's....never got hot... I was wearin a long sleeve running shirt and shorts...I could have gone with just a ss wickin shirt but I was good to go.  There was a long uphill piece that was sorta demoralizing...but after that...the last 1/2 mile was all down hill!!  ..kick it!!!  I am quite happy with my time...I shaved off a full minute from my last 5k race time and did it w/out my hr monitor for the 1st time...I figured...it's more about how I was feeling and I went based off that...I was not hurtin too bad at the finish...the hill was a lil tough...but like Ken said..5k's are not supposed to be easy...this one was not...but I thought I did awesome!!  I felt good..stepped out of my comfort zone..and pushed on where I wanted to walk it...and I finished it just where I wanted to be...   The tempo run the other day really helped I think...gave me a baseline for how I wanted to run this race...and I was dead on!!  Now..I gotta go for 24 min 5k ..... hehe
2008-10-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1718075

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Congrats on your PR, Rusty!  It's exciting when you see progress, isn't it?  Now that summer is over I hope to see a lot of progress myself.

I raced at the Santa Rosa Island triathlon yesterday, and my race report is up.  My swim was the worst I've ever done, so I'm really going to need some work in that area.  Started off nervous which didn't help, then I started thinking about Patrick Kane (the triathlete who died during GC HIM).  I shut that part of my brain off and said "suck it up, buttercup!".  The bike was ok, and my run turned out to be the best part -- I ran a 25:25 5K after 1/3 mile swim and an 18 mile bike.

Now I need to buckle down.  Signed up for the Reverse Duathlon (9 mile bike, 5.6 mile run, 9 mile bike) on the 18th (Ken should be there) and a local 10K on the 25th.  So not much swimming in my future!  But after these fall races I plan to work on my swimming and hopefully be prepared for the Gulf Coast HIM in May.

2008-10-05 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job cheri and rusty. I did another half ironman this weekend. Not sure how many of these I have left in me. It was a terrific course and a good day. Not where I think I should be but better than Gulf Coast. I guess trii season is done for me. I have the reverse duathlon in 2 weeks and we are having a thanksgiving weekend half marathon that I would like to do.

2008-10-06 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1719585

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Ken!!  and congrats to you on another HIM!!  Way to go and good way to end the season with a bang!  I am focusing my self now on training more - and keeping it consistent.  Back to Masters swim this month to beef up on the swimming - gettin ready to up the mileage on the bike as well...my runs are in good shape I feel - they are the most improved out of all my tri training...I never thought I would be in the 8 mm again...but I am.  Eventually...my goal will be sub 8 MM and then I am done...I cannot see me pullin anything faster then a 7....I am just not that into going that fast to be honest...I like where I am now but I know I can go a lil faster later...just keep working on it.  Anyway - I spent my Sunday morning working at a Triathlon as a volunteer/event crew for the Ramblin Rose Tri here in Charlotte, this was a blast - women only tri.  I got see what it looks like from a novice and 1st timers perspective again....and it was great!  So many newbies and just so much energy...I was asked several times about how should I do this and that...and I was happy I could pass on what I learned as a newbie to these women in there 1st tri...it was a great feeling seeing them complete this event.  I worked the transistion area 1st thing in the AM - from 6AM - 8AM - so I was helping folks with bike racking, T1 setup, whatever they needed.  Then from 8AM - 11:00 AM I was working the bike mount/dismount station...very cool !!  I had to pop on about 3 or 4 popped chains, 1 front tire, and 1 rear tire....so my hands looked like I was working a pit crew time my duty was done...but I had alot smiles returned to me, lots of thanks from the athletes as they rode off and came back in to t2 for the run part...I was cheering as many as I could...supporting all them, shouting ecouraging words...ya know..keeping the dream alive for these women...and they all made it!!  it was an awesome expierence..if you get the chance to work a Triathlon as a crew member ....do it!!  Nothing like givin back to this sport by encouraging others to make it and become triathletes.  One of my most memorable was a lady I know of because she works the Childwatch room at the YMCA I train at...her name is Mrs Leigh.  She's always there and knows me well and GyGy since we bring the kids up there all summer so we can train and what not.  Anyway - I happen to run into her in the TA in the morning....she was so excited to see me...she was nervous and excited....I told her...have fun and enjoy this day...as she walked off to get ready for the swim..we chatted for a bit and she informed this was her 1st tri.  After the race ....I walked back over to her TA station and she came running up to me and gave me a big hug!!  " I made it Danny...I made it!!!" was all she said... ( she knows me as Danny  - it's my 1st name..Rusty is my nickname )  She was so happy ...and I was just as happy for her...."I knew you would " I told her.  Thats what this sport is all about...triathletes are the best of what I have ever known as athletes...humble...strong...driven...caring....passionate...and somewhat a lil crazy!!!  but that's what binds us all.....and it's great seeing someone I know share in the spirit of Triathlon.... 
2008-10-12 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weekly recap is weak! I ran twice, once in a 10 k yesterday. I think I pr'ed but am not sure. I have 2 different times written down for the race last year and I can't find the official results. I either PR'ed by 45 seconds or missed by 15. LOL. I was glad I ran the race. I feel like my running has been strong this year. I had a huge PR in my half mary in February and my mileage is great but in both my HIM I couldn't run. I am pretty sure its overall endurance and my run is as good or better than its been.

Back at the training this week. Racing reverse duathlon on Saturday! Hope to see you there Cheri. You can beat me this year but not without a fight.
2008-10-12 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1736981

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Manatee Express - 2008-10-12 3:34 PM  Back at the training this week. Racing reverse duathlon on Saturday! Hope to see you there Cheri. You can beat me this year but not without a fight.

I'm not seeing that happening!  Your bike is so much stronger than my run, and you get to double up on that.  Wish I could figure out a way to do better at the bike -- any last minute suggestions?

Weekly recap is reflective of the time of year -- biking is difficult because the sun is setting earlier, and once daylight savings time is over it will be reduced to weekends only (or trainer -- ugh!).  And I've put swimming on hold for a while.  But my running is going spectacularly -- I ran 8:10s at the end of a sprint tri last weekend, very fast 300s in the rain on Tuesday, and a fast training 5K at the end of  27 mile bike ride on Friday.  Perhaps this is my year for running????  We'll see...

2008-10-26 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weekly update

Just haven't said anything since the amelia half iron race and wanted to catch up. Right now I am pretty much down to running with a weekend bike. It was a busy year with 2 halfs and I need some down time. That said we are training for a half marathon on thanksgiving weekend. Time to start thinkng about next year. Looking at how much time you have and what you want to accomplish.

I ran a 5k with my dog this weekend. We had a great time and even won my age group. I think having Sara pulling me helped alot!.
2008-10-27 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1766811

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Nice way to run a 5k Ken!! and congrats on placing!!  I have been doing the same - thinkin about goals for next season, short term and long.  Obviously - HIM is the long term...the big kahuna!!  I have been trying to get more time in on the bike...not been doing such a good job on that...but I am going to get my a$$ back in gear on that side.  My swimmin and running - have been doing quite well with those....and I can only hope this will be the trend going into the 2009 tri season.  My wife continues to inspire and amaze me ..she's the reason I got into tri's - now she is not really doing them much..she's found her groove in the running scene..which honestly..is her true calling.  Tri's was a way to give her that boost and give her the extra trainin to lose that remainin baby weight and once she did - she never looked fitter and fab!!  She continues to run and has been tearing up the Athena class here...she is slotted for 2nd place overall in the series here....and there is an awards banquet planned for sometime in November...I cannot wait to attend and see her lit up when they call her name to receive her award...she's come such a long way and worked hard to get here...she's my inspiration and I love seeing how much she has benefitted from running and tri sports...it's made her stronger and fitter and helped her rediscover herself.  Anyway  = I know I like to brag about her alot...I cannot help it... she's just awesome!! and I owe her that much!..anyway...I will be checkin on you all soon..sorry if i have not been inspiring as much...but I am here, waiting and watchin...you manatee's...

2008-11-11 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Fellow Manatee's,

After my first run in sub 35 degree weather this morning I am in need of some guidance from those that have run in the cold before.  I was cold when I started and got way to hot in the middle of my run, a short 4 miler.  I wore those long spandex pants and a long sleeve Nike dri fit wicking shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that.  I also wore some cheap gloves and a beanie.  I had to lose the beanie and the fleece was to warm but after a few moments with it tied around my waist it quickly found it's way back on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated with this matter.  I have to keep up with you guys for the Gulf Coast HIM next year.  Don't worry Papa I didn't forget after I talked all of that smack to get you into it.  On that note is there a good place to register on-line for the event.  Take care all and have a Happy Holiday season.  Happy Veteran's Day to you  PapaHawk.  Hooaah!!!

2008-11-12 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
good to see you back soldier.

long runs in the cold are a pain to manage. i try to make mine on a loop where i can drop and pickup clothes. Seems to me you got everything right. Spandex tites, wicking shirt, layers, and head covering all check. Only thing you can add are neoprene socks, but I don't really like them for running.

Gulf Coast Half Ironman web site is :

http://www.gulfcoasttriathlon.com/

The race hasn't sold out the last couple years so you don't need to rush except for motivation.
2008-11-13 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1801773

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Hey Chappy and fellow Manatee's!!!  a belated and thankful Veterans Day to you Chappy as well, thanks for your consideration and remembering those of us who have served, I honor and remember all those that have worn the uniform ...today.. and those who paved the way for us today many many years ago.  Running in the cold can be quiet a challenge like Ken said...and like you..I tend to warm up quick and usually find I have over dressed for a run...but I have learned in the past to suck it up in the beginning now..sure..I may be a bit chilly now...but I will be plenty warm once I get into the run.  My running has been quiet good lately...I am almost hitting a solid 8 min mile now..comfortably...meanin..if I push it - meaning me..I could see me breakin into the 7.5 min mile this coming year...maybe even a 7...who knows?  I have to get my A$$ in gear on the bike though Ken...I have been slackin on that for sure..maybe cause I know that was my strength and I decided to focus on the swim and run more since those I considered my weaker parts...but nonetheless - I gotta start crankin up the miles for sure.  Swimming   - I am feelin solid...everyday I swim I get more comfortable ..more into the rythm of it...and there are those days where I feel I cam just swim forever...it's coming along...I know come this March when I compete in the 1st tri of the season here which is the 1st one I ever competed in...I will blow my swim time from last year away...as well as the bike.  On a side note..my wife ( gygyhawk ) which she has not been bloggin any lately is doing great in school and in her runs - she's actually getting an award on the 18th for the run series she did here...she placed 2nd out of all the Athena's !!..she's really amped about this night...she worked her butt off to get there...it's gonna be really great to see her go up and get her award and recognition for her acheivement this year...running has been good to her...in so many ways.  I will post pics after the awards banquet....hope you all are doin well...I have not forgotten  ...Gulf Coast HIM!!!  2009! 
2008-11-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1805250

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey everyone!

I've been a slacker, and now it's time to get back on track.  Don't want to gain any weight over the holidays!  Anyone have any serious goals for December?  I'm thinking that I need to match my miles run from last year.  In 2007 I ran 833.12 miles, but right now I'm sitting at 722.06 miles.  In the next 5 weeks I need to run 111 miles -- anyone want to join me?  It could be a good warm up before we start seriously training for the Gulf Coast HIM!

Cheri

2009-02-15 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Fellow Manatees,

I hope everyone had a great holiday season and that training has been consistent and productive.  I feel very bad in that after stirring the pot very vigorously to get my fellow triathletes to participate in the Gulf Shores HIM in May that I am not going to be able to participate.  Duty calls and I will be deployed for a couple of months to some far off distant land.  If you read between the lines you can probably figure it out.  Nonetheless I will continue to train while I am gone.  Many mountain bike rides instead of road bike rides through the Northern Kentucky countryside and some running in some fairly significant temps.  This also puts a damper on my personal goal of completing a full Ironman before I turn 41 but I will just have to adjust my schedule to left a bit.  Good luck to you all and the best of luck at the Gulf Shores HIM.  See you when I get back and maybe we can do it next year and finally meet face to face.

2009-02-17 6:04 AM
in reply to: #1963641

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
cchapman3 - 2009-02-15 8:19 PM

Fellow Manatees,

I hope everyone had a great holiday season and that training has been consistent and productive.  I feel very bad in that after stirring the pot very vigorously to get my fellow triathletes to participate in the Gulf Shores HIM in May that I am not going to be able to participate.  Duty calls and I will be deployed for a couple of months to some far off distant land.  If you read between the lines you can probably figure it out.  Nonetheless I will continue to train while I am gone.  Many mountain bike rides instead of road bike rides through the Northern Kentucky countryside and some running in some fairly significant temps.  This also puts a damper on my personal goal of completing a full Ironman before I turn 41 but I will just have to adjust my schedule to left a bit.  Good luck to you all and the best of luck at the Gulf Shores HIM.  See you when I get back and maybe we can do it next year and finally meet face to face.

Chip, be safe and thank you for protecting us.  I'm in awe of your sacrifice. 

I signed up for the race this weekend.  Your pot stirring helped me!  I'm not going to commit to next year before I do this once, but if nothing else I'll come be a cheerleader next year when you are there.  But if I survive this one, we'll see about next year.

Thank you again for all that you do!

Cheri

2009-02-28 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good work getting Cher signed up. You should become a recruiter. I am sure you will get ur ironman soon enough!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18