United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 36s
Overall Rank = 94/192
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

Get there way early. Go to get out of the car, step down and break a lug / shock absorber off of the heel of my Nike shoes. Drive like mad back home, pull the beta pair out of the closet, drive like mad back and make it with some time to spare. Get my number and bag (tons of coupons and stickers, a water bottle and shirt designed by a child (cool)), pin on my number and stretch.
Event warmup:

Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. My Achilles is getting worse at this point. Jog a bit, sprint a bit, get to the line and get onto the street as soon as police block traffic. Off quickly!
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran really well today and my results show it. A PR and first time I broke 8min miles! I always race well when I have a pre-race disaster! I think it gets my adrenaline flowing.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe pack the beta shoes in the car, but who plans on breaking a shoe lug?
Post race
Warm down:

Get my head back together, drink about a gallon to replace what I sweated out. Have some sandwich wraps, fruit and socialize.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Lose some weight; you'll do even better!

Event comments:

A good local race where I'm friends with many in the field. A good social one.

Full results at: http://www.snerro.com/SNERRO%20/Results_files/SFEST07%20ALL.HTM

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:36 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 94/192
Performance: Good
Course: Wide open and hot. Beating sun, little to no shade. Stink of stale beer in the streets makes it seem like a frat party 5K. After mile 1, a turn through the rotary brings the first and hardest hill. Descend on cobbles and return to wide open road. The firehouse has a hose going; feels great. Some switch backing through downtown New London, another up-hill late in mile 2. Descend back to the parade area to finish. Always a good sprinters finish here.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes