General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek Women Triathlon Series - Orlando : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-14 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Trek Women Triathlon Series - Orlando : Official Thread
Anyone else doing this race? How many hills are there around the lake? Thanks for any information!

SEE YOU THERE!

Stephanie

2011-08-17 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3642727

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Trek Women Triathlon Series - Orlando : Official Thread

I made the bike race course a BT route here (already had most of it mapped for another route). Turn on the Elevation graph by clicking the "Elev Graph", mile markers can be enable on the left side "Distance Markers:".

I did a race there several years ago I can tell you when you get on the bike you will go up a real short but steep climb.  It is important you have the bike in the right gear for it coming out of transition.  Maybe even practice it before you go into transition to get the gearing right.

The loop around the lake is uneventful (enjoy the views).  After mile 7 (Grand Highway) looks like you will have a nice little climb (3% grade), a slight downhill to "recover", and then an other short climb with a 3-6% grade.  Nothing "major" (note I haven't ridden that section), just use your gears.  After Mile 9 it's mostly downhill so enjoy!

Have a great race, it's a beautiful race venue!

2011-08-17 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Steph,

If the link to the route in this ^ post is the route you are doing the "hills" should be a non-factor.  I ride in Clermont a few times per month and the streets around the lake have a few ups, but nothing to stress about (but do heed the making sure your bike is in the right gear for the "hill" right out of transition); especially if you've been riding the Rickenbacher Causeway.

Good luck!

Ann-Marie

2011-08-29 10:09 PM

Wow you guys must be more used to the  hills then I am.  I drove it and while the few hills at the beginning seem doable the ones at the end are huge!!  There were 2 long ones that were relatively steep and then another big one to a huge downhill followed by a huge straight uphill that went for awhile.  I guess if you are used to Clermont it might be nothing but for those of us that think an overpass is a hill, , be prepared for the end.  I did the Danskin tri and women were braking going down the overpass so I don't know how they will make it down these hills!!  Be careful!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek Women Triathlon Series - Orlando : Official Thread Rss Feed