General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breezy Point Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-08 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Breezy Point Triathlon : Official Thread

Well I guess I'll start this off.

This'll be my return to Tri's after a looong break following my IM.  Look forward to getting back into the swing of things.  Have been so unmotivated and felt lousy until recently.  Need the workouts to get my head and body back "right".

Anyone with experience or lessons learned from this race?

2013-04-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4691569

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Breezy Point Triathlon : Official Thread
Pretty cool race, very popular. The swim is now 750m in lieu of 1000m. The bike course is flat, and the roads are challenging. meaning they are some rough areas. The run is hot. not much shape, the last leg of 5k is on in direct sunlight..

killer after party. great times.

East Coast bikes has a ride that leaves at 0800 on sat. sometimes they ride on base. They ride on the part of the course. It would be great if you came out there. I have a group on FB called "Hampton Roads Triathlon/Running/Cycling Group" join us.. we do all kinda of things.. if you need a training partner we have them..

TRI HARD

mo
2013-04-09 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

It's a good open-water swim for this area, no surf or current to contend with, and a few weeks before the jellyfish descend on us.  I don't know what the new/shortened swim course looks like yet; but, historically you're completely blinded by the sun coming in for the final leg of the swim.

Bike course is flat and fairly fast, but very rough and bumpy - which is why I usually skip this race.  

It's a good run course.  Being on base reminds me a lot of my childhood, growing up in a military family.  The final stretch is all along the water, and there is usually a pretty good crowd at the finish.  

The after party, though a bit offsite, is top notch.   Crap, now I think I may have to register for it.

2013-04-17 9:49 AM

Officially registered.  I did this race 12 years ago and now I'm back at it.  Very excited.  Good base training over the last few months and I know I'm ready.  Looking forward to seeing other BT's there. 

Lesson's learned:  I remember this was my first race ever and I mistakenly signed up for the open division.  This actually worked out because the swimmers hauled and I could just relax until the next wave caught me right at the end. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breezy Point Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed