Queensland Events Gold Coast
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 34s
Overall Rank = 317/4932
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/374
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45am, shower, stretching, coffee,muffin, Milo smoothie.
Staying at the Maldives so an easy 20 min walk across the river to the start.

-------
Event warmup:

Decided on deep warmup this year so 20 mins with HR up to ~165. Waiting the for the obligatory pitstop I could feel the sweat running down my back even though it was 9'C! - I guess that means deep warmup was successful!! :-)

Run
  • 1h 30m 24s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Got to the start with about 15 min to go before the gun and couldn't believe the crush. I was hoping to get into the 1:20 pace group but couldn't even get onto the road! I had to start from the other side of the barriers and jump them once the gun had gone off and the human mass had broken up somewhat.

Original plan was to stick with the 1:20 group for 5 km and then slow down to 4:10's for the remainder. Plan A was instantly blown away by not getting onto the road and then having to fight the whole of the first 1.5km for clear running room. At one point a few of us were running across the median strip on the other side of the road! Why do slow people (including some walkers I might add) stand at the start and hinder everyone else?

Pace was mostly even but with a few odd low spots here and there. Struggled twice to keep HR up at 167-68, but otherwise happy with average HR of 167.

Consumed gel at 12.5km aid station and didn't suffer the usual sag in performance and it seemed to kick in within 5 mins instead of the normal 5-10mins.

Last 4 km was as tough as expected (avg HR 172)and HR ran away to 177 at the finish as I needed to out sprint some hard-charging finishers!

Given how I was feeling I'm happy that;
a) I made the start as I couldn't run for 4 weeks in Feb due to an Achilles injury and didn't think I'd make the start line,
b) I set a personal best by 20 secs.
c) Top 40 placing in age group (top 10%)
d) Good overall result - (top 6%)
What would you do differently?:

1. Get the taper right!
2. Get to the start earlier to claim a position near the front!
Post race
Warm down:

Beer (even though it was only 8am), and a wade in the river to calm legs down. Walked back to the apartment for a shower and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Peaked about 10 days too early! :-( Was feeling great over the past two weeks but obviously unloaded the body too far in advance of the race. Felt a bit flat (physically rather than mentally) on the morning and that feeling continued throughout the race.

Event comments:

Excellent race, well organised and going from strength to strength. Almost 16,000 runners across all the races on Sunday so it's a very popular event!

Next year is the race's 30th anniversary!

Last updated: 2007-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:24 | 21.1 kms | 04m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 37/374
Overall: 374/4932
Performance: Average
Out in 45:03 Back in 45:21
Course: North beyond Labrador to turnaround at Drake Ave. Flat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes