General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP - Making the jump from road bike to tri-bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-20 12:40 PM

Regular
Maine
Subject: HELP - Making the jump from road bike to tri-bike
I have taken the next step and have bought a tri-bike.  My next race is Sept 12th so I'm looking for any advice on how to best prepare for the race and what are the biggest challenges in making this transition?

2009-08-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2360504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HELP - Making the jump from road bike to tri-bike
just curious what race are you doing? im doing one the same day. anyways for your question i had a hard time getting use to the shifters. i would downshift when i wanted to shift up. get familiar with that. other than that just get comfortable with being down on the aero bars.
2009-08-20 12:59 PM

New user
Lewgrave - 2009-08-20 1:40 PM I have taken the next step and have bought a tri-bike.  My next race is Sept 12th so I'm looking for any advice on how to best prepare for the race and what are the biggest challenges in making this transition?

Ride lots.

The biggest difference I think would be the sense of lost of control. You have a lot of control when you are on a road bike since the brakes are right there at your finger tips. Being in the aero poistion with your arms together takes a little bit of time to get used to ... but that should come as you ride more.

Your breathing will be a little bit different when you are in the tri aero position. Your chest doesn't expand like it does when you are in the upright road position. Again, riding lots will make this second nature.

You get a little bit more nervous initially when you are approaching a crowd of bikers or in a middle of a big wind gust ... but that should come as you ride more.

So ride more

2009-08-20 1:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-20 2:23 PM

Veteran

1) Make sure that you've got the fit right.

2) Ride, ride, ride to get used to the new bike and position.
2009-08-20 3:32 PM

Pro
Twin Cities
As the late, great, Freddie Mercury said: "Get on your bike and ride."

2009-08-20 3:49 PM

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Get on the bike.  It will take some time to get used to the aero position. Once you do you'll love it though!!!

2009-08-21 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2360522

Regular
Maine
sloar - 2009-08-20 12:45 PM just curious what race are you doing? im doing one the same day. anyways for your question i had a hard time getting use to the shifters. i would downshift when i wanted to shift up. get familiar with that. other than that just get comfortable with being down on the aero bars.

The Pumpkinman in S. Berwick, ME.  I signed up for the sprint, not the HIM.

Thanks, and I'll keep the shifting advice in mind.
2009-08-21 6:06 AM

Regular
Maine
I got the main theme - ride a lot!!!

But thanks for the extra things as that is what I was really looking for.  I have done the fit test so I am hoping it is set up for my build but I know that there will likely be minor adjustments as I get a better feel for the bike.

My main concern is just what some of you stated, the sense of a lack of control compared to a road bike.  Again, thanks for the input.
2009-08-21 2:59 PM

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Lewgrave - 2009-08-20 11:40 AM
I have taken the next step and have bought a tri-bike.  My next race is Sept 12th so I'm looking for any advice on how to best prepare for the race and what are the biggest challenges in making this transition?

It took me about a month of riding to get the fit tweaked perfectly and get my body totally used to the new position and different handling characteristics of the tri bike. I would especially recommend getting used to the braking, and the way your hand interacts with the brakes levers while off the aerobars on bumpy terrain and especially while shifting off the aerobars. If you reach with your right hand to shift (like I do) and don't make a conscious effort to take your left hand off the brake lever, it's a crash waiting to happen.

I took a bad fall in a race because of the braking differences between my road bike which I've ridden for thousands of miles, and my tri bike which I'd ridden just a few times. Long story short, coming into T2 out of my shoes and pulling my leg over for a dismount, I accidently hit the front brake too hard trying to slow, the pads stuck on my Zipp front wheel and I went over the handlebars badly resulting in the first of my two AC separations this summer.
2009-08-22 10:44 AM

I did the same undulating loop in a low traffic park when I first got on my tri bike. I repeat a few of the corners and also carrying the momentum and changing to the outer bars when starting a climb. Cornering with confidence didn't take long, but it was something I had to do more than once. Enjoy the feeling and just like a car in snow, pay attention to the feeling around the corner. You'll figure out your threshold of confidence. Get comfy with that then try to practice transitions with the shoes clipped. Have fun. Always great to hear someone got a new bike!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP - Making the jump from road bike to tri-bike Rss Feed