BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-12-16 8:21 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!!

NAME: tripletmom01/ Tammy

STORY: I am a mom to 7 yo triplets.  I have always been a runner- although not competetively, and ecided about 3-4 years ago to start racing- it easily lead to triathlons.  I did my first IM (WI) last year and LOVED it.  So I will be doing it again this year.  I love running, I love biking, and I pretty much swim because I love tris and it just happens to be the first part ;_   One fo my goals this year is to become a better swimmer and I am trying.

FAMILY STATUS:  married

CURRENT TRAINING:  I like to train, even in the off season.  Its a great time to work on your weaknesses and strengthen your strengths.  Righ now I am training for a winter marathon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 08 I did my first marathon, 2 HIM, 1 olympic, 2 duathlons, a bunch of runs and IMWI (12:29)  I am pretty much a top of the packer and train hard to be at my best.  I also had a documentary done on my IM by scoobysdad  that will be coming out soon!!! (a definite must see)

2009 RACES:  Jan- Icebreaker marathon. May Triple T, June Horribly Hilly Hundreds (bike), July Door County HIM, Aug..possibly race the lake 90 mile bike race, Sept.  IMWI.   will probaly throw an olympic distance in there and possibly another HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I dont struggle with weightloss but I do know a lot about it.  I majored in Exercise Physiology so we took many classes on the topic.  I actually struggled with anorexia for a little while in college so I know about that too. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I love to see people reach their goals and would love to be apart of that.  I have learned a TON about triathlons in the past few years and have already helped many people get a start to the addiction   Anything I dont know I promise to find out.  I have pretty much figured out how to manage working full time, three kids, AND training, so time management and efficiency are part of my package!

Heres to kickin in 09!!!

Edited by tripletmom01 2008-12-28 7:16 AM

2008-12-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1857658

New user

Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - OPEN

Hello!  My name is Melissa.  I'm 34, married and have two kids - 4 & 2.  I have been a runner off and on for most of my life and in fairly decent shape.  But the last 2 years I have gotten off track with health/exercise and have been wanting to get back in.   I have tried different things with varying degrees of success, but am ready to do something new...something that takes a little more risk and dedication.  I have been considering doing a triathlon (sprint) for the last couple of months and finally pulled the trigger last week.  I have biked infrequently for the last 5 years...and only learned how to swim freestyle last month.  (I figured I should try it out - so I took a lesson at the YMCA!).  So I am definitely in the category of BEGINNER! 

Anyway, not sure how this works, but I figured I can use all the help I can get!  

Cheers!

Melissa

2008-12-18 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Can I join your gang?

I'm 34, 6 foot, 174lb, a Dad to a 2yr and a 5 month old, a Pharmacist to trade and mightily impressed at your training log considering the 3 little people!!Smile

Sport background:

I've always swum (in the local club as a kid and at uni) and after moving to the Highlands I struggled to get to the pool. A new job has meant I'm back into it big style (They're remarkably quiet at lunchtime!) and loving it!

The biking - again I've always done a bit and over the past couple of years I've very slowly got into a little bit of competition - just club stuff - mostly mountainbiking, with some time trialing thrown in for the masochist in me! (it's just so boring thrashing along on your tod!)

Running - I HATE it! Why bother? I can walk all day and arrive cool and calm, but I go running and turn into a knackered sweat monster - normally with bruised ankles! A couple of months ago I did a Cancer Care duathlon and amazingly did ok at the running and even beat a couple of guys who I assumed would leave me standing - This is why I'm starting tri's - I'd always fancied it, but the running put me off. I guess the run is at the end and you're allowed to be knackered and sweaty by then eh?!

I've started following the run focused sprint training schedule (need as much help as I can!) and have signed up for a local cross counrty sprint in March. I'm not sure about other events - because I'm based in the Highlands there's not much locally and with post-grad training and small people, I think 2009 might be a bit harrassed! (To be honest most of the time I'm happy enough with the endorphins from the training) There's a monster event(http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/The-Big-Ben-Nevis-Triathlon/1029/) in September which I'll miss in 2009 because of holidays, but would like to be fit enough for 2010 - we'll see...

Any time management tips greatfully received!

Looking forward to any input,

Cheers,

K

2008-12-18 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Hi, I would love to join your group if you'll have me.

I'm not planning on any Tri's in 2009 but I want to get a good base in then start racing again in 2010. I have ran two Tri's in the past all sprint distance and want the next one to at least be an Oly. The time management you have must be incredable and that's what I'm looking forward to the most I don't ever seem to have enough time in any day to get any training in.

My last race teh firecracker tri in Michigan was a new experience in pain, I had a bad pulled hamstring from a 10 mile race in Chicago earlier in the year. So I decided to take some time off to heal and wound up sitting for about 18 months and gaining 50 lbs. I'm now at a new high for weight and starting all over again. Hopefully this time uninjured, Exercise Physiolgy huh?

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea so I'm getting that treated now maybe I'll be able to drag my fat behind out of bed in the morning and get going again.

I look forward to working with you all, if you'll have me, in the coming year.

George.
2008-12-18 1:38 PM

User image

McFarland, WI

Would you be willing to take on a wounded but recovering member?!?  I have some of the same events planned; HHH(100k), Door Count 1/2, and my first Iron, IMWI'09.  I am very positive and am looking for a fun inspirational group.  I think I may have found it!

Ive been tri-ing for about 3 years, have gone from sprint, to Oly, to 1/2 Iron(Steelhead), and now find myself in the remarkable spot of doing IMWI '09.  I crashed 4 days after paying for IMWI, doing my best superman impression over my aerobars at 20+Mph which resulted in a 3rd deg shoulder separation.  I am finding it hard to find the motivation now because of this setback, but I know I can come back, it is just going to take ALOT more work than before.  I am an average joe who is not built for speed.  I just want to finish.

thx Pat

Edited by pjdgreen 2008-12-18 1:44 PM
2008-12-18 1:51 PM

Veteran
I would love to join as well. I have to join a mom's group.

I am MaesMama/Kara

I am 35 yrs old. Former softball player (Catcher) soon to be again. I got into triathlon after seeing two different people compete in Kona on tv. Of Course the Hoyts...but also Sarah Reinertson. I got started with lots of cycling...I ride in the MS150 each of the last 4 yrs. My mom has MS and got me into it. I did my first tri in May last year on Mother's Day weekend. My hubby asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day and I told him a triathlon. So I did. Had one DNS due to a herniated disc which I am now managing.

Family Status: married and one child 3.5 yrs old.

Current training: Off-season is officially over...I am working on overall fitness currently, which will help me in the long run.

2008: I did the Excellence Triathlon in May and came in 194/197 (puke) Asthma attack in the pool killed it for me..It's true..you can't win it in the swim, but you sure as heck can lose it...I did. MS150 in September..30 of a planned 60 miles. Ramblin' Rose...finished and was a solid MOP. Nice improvement from the first one.

2009: I plan to race Riverwood for my season kickoff(sprint.) Then a second sprint in June or July. MS150 in September (team captain.) Ramblin' Rose again in October. I have yet to find my Oly in the southeast, but I will find it.

Weightloss: I struggle with weight due to meds and a medical condition. I am in the process of working with my nutritionist and hubby to get the right foods in the house for me. I hope to lose another 10-20 lbs this season.

2008-12-18 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Adirondacks
NAME: mtntrainer/Corinna

STORY: I am a mom to 2 year old twin girls. I ran alot though college (not competitively) and got into mtn biking around that time too. I've always been active and involved in sports. I am currently a SAHM but also a personal trainer and I love to train. It gives me structure and something to work towards. I have to admit I am more of a du-girl, I like to swim just never really got into it. I really love to bike and run so that's what I do. We are also in the process of building a mtn bike park on our property up here in NY. fun, fun!!!

FAMILY STATUS: married with 2 year old twins

CURRENT TRAINING: Running and biking indoors mostly since we just moved to upstate NY, I get out in the snow and hike and snowboard when I can and we can't forget the great workout that trail building can be. I also throw in resistance training and yoga. Working on getting my endurance back up since we moved and am just getting back into a routine after about 2 mths.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 08 I did my first duathlon and loved it, I had more planned but we moved. I also competed in a 6 hr mtn bike race and some cross country races. I also had a half marathon planned but again we moved.

2009 RACES: Ok so this is my plan, I am a bit nervous about the longer distance but that's been my goal all along.
April 26 bassman sprin du 4.2/24.9/4.2 miles
May 9 King of the hill OFF ROAD du Yeah!!!! sprint
July 12 Putnam sprint du sprint
Aug 8 Grand Island du sprint
Oct 11 American Zofingen, New Paltz (short course 5/29/5 miles)
Plus any local xc mtb races and some local runs. The two big ones are my goal with the national duathlon off road championship in 2010 as my main goal to shoot for....for now.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an issue for me Just want to maintain wouldn't mind loosing a couple but not really necessary.

2008-12-18 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Hi Tammy,

Can I join the gang here?

My name is Heather, I completed my first season this year w/ a DNS (due to snow and illness), a pool sprint, and 1 OWS Sprint.

I'm a mother of a 5yo and 2.5yo, work full-time, and need to allow hubby time to train as well.

Will post more later, but battery is about to die and must clean out car before taking adopted grandparents to kid's Christmas production....

THANKS
2008-12-18 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Tammy,

Count Eric (tribadger) and I (retiretotri) in on your group.

We did IM WI last year and have the Capitol View Olympic, Door County HIM, and IM WI on the schedule in 2009.  In addition to that, the Madison Half Marathon and maybe the Lake Monona 20K in May.

Really looking forward to it!

2008-12-18 5:10 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

YES to all of you!!  I am excited to get to know you all better and help any way I can.  So far there are seven of us I think one or two more and I will call it full.

I will read all of your bios tonight- I am off to the kids Christmas concert!

If you havent written one please do!!!

WELCOME!

2008-12-18 5:16 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
OK!!! nine of us.  Gonna call us full

2008-12-18 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!!

I have received the go ahead to join. I know the group is closed, but Tammy was kind enough to let me in. I am honored to be a member of the group and under Tammy's tutelage. 

NAME: Tracy

STORY: It is kind of long sorted story for me. I have always been a runner. It was an activity I could do that didn't cost me any money. Therefore, I ran. I ran and ran and ran and ran. About 3 years ago a friend of mine started talking to me about triathlons. I thought...hmmm...I could do that. I bought a road bike and started biking. The next year in 07 I decided to do one triathlon. I was hooked. In 08 I did another 3 races. All sprint distances. I am a weak biker. That is my achilles hell, I mean heel. I finally have a trainer and plan to spend a lot of time on my bike this winter.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 6 years to my wonderful husband Michael. Who has supported my addiction to triathloning 100%. He even let me by a new tri bike this year. I am the proud owner of a P2C that makes certain parts go numb! Embarassed We have 5 fur kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am doing a hodge podge of things. I have been trying to lose some weight for our trip to Costa Rica on the 1st. I have been swimming twice a week, running twice a week with strength training and biking 1 day. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 3 sprint distance triathlons. In my last one I got 4th in my AG. If only I could have run my normal time. It was muggy and I forgot my inhaler. I got 4th. If only...

2009 RACES: More sprints for me. I plan on doing the Elkhart Lake, Door County, Waupaca and Manitowoc. I might up one of those to Oly distances if I get the confidence. I also plan to do a couple 5ks, maybe a 10k if I feel up to it and a duathlon that is in my town.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose another 8-10 pounds at this point. I would love to be under 150 by tri-season. I hope I can get that done this winter. I love my sweets.Tammy, I read you can help me with this!!!

I look forward to getting to know you all better. May we train hard and race even harder!!!
2008-12-18 7:52 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

OK-

A few things as we get started

1- PLEASE log your training in your blogs.  I will be checking up on you guys daily  Its hard to offer advice or insight when Im not sure what you are doing.

2- Dont be afraid to ask ?s.  And dont be afraid to offer others in our group advice.. I cant be giving ALL the advice

3- When you get a chance let us know whatyour goals are for the upcoming season and what your race schedule looks like.  (if you havent already)

4- Check out each others blogs and inspire each other!!

I am excited- I think we have a great bunch of athletes here!!!

2008-12-18 7:53 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Melissa-

Where are you from?  And- have you signed up for your first tri?? 

2008-12-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1861190

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Keith

Are you from the UK?  That race sounds awesome

You are a great swimmer- you can help ME out there all you want! 

I love running  We will make a runner out of you.  Just keep at it,   Are you following any sort of plan?

2008-12-18 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1861417

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

George-

I look forward to motivating you  Is your injury all healed??

Why dont you sign up for a race later in the year...might get you going?!

2008-12-18 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1861587

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Pat-

OUCH- nice crash- I had a nice one of my own a  few years ago- pics in my album.  So are you healed? 

Looks like you are doing Georges bike plan?  Thats great.

Well I am sure I will get to meet yout his summer

2008-12-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1861645

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

HI Kara

I actually raved with Sara Reinerston 2 years ago- she is awesome.  I I heard the Hoyts speak at my first HIM  So inspirational

Sounds like your husband is supportive?  thats great

Sounds like you have a good start to planning your season.  What area are you looking to work on the most?

2008-12-18 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1861671

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Corinna-

2 y old twins   Id like to tell you it gets easier...but I cant   Ialso love to bike and run and just swim because its part of thr tri... I am working hard on it though.

You are building your own MNT bike park??  That is AWESOME!

You have a great race schedule, now we just gotta get you in  the pool

how about throwing a hm inthere somewhere??

2008-12-18 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1861709

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hi Heather!

Looks like you are a busy girl too

Does your hubby do tris?

Looks like we are going to have to find you some training time.

whenyou get a chance letme know your goals and planned races!

2008-12-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1862121

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

yeah Lori and Eric- I am glad you two joined!

We will have to do some MOO riding this summer.

Let  me know what you guys are working on in the off season and what you want out of IM this year

2008-12-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1862279

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

And last but not least Tracy!

I love riding- but the winter gets real boring on the trainer.  do you ever do spin classes?  I know some triathletes think they are lame- butat least you can socialize and they DO help!  The P2C is awesome...lucky girl and costa rice??  Maybe I should get rid of my kids

Your training looks good for the off season.

where is Kewaunee?

oh.. I like sweets too...luckily I train enough I can eat them   8-10 isnt much- you can lose it- Ill help- do you log your eating??

2008-12-18 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI

Kewaunee is just south of Door County on Lake Michigan. It is north of Two Rivers if you are at all familiar with the lakeshore?? There is a really challenging Duathlon race here in July, right before the Door County Tri.

I was just talking with John from In Competition sports in Green Bay. He recommended spinning also. He said it helps create a better pedal stroke? Is that the right term? The coveted round pedal motion. I think I have a square pedal motion. I bike like I am a kid again on her banana seat bike.

Dh and I are going to spin on Saturdays at the Y in Manitowoc. It is our plan! I have been on and off logging my food. I will get serious after we get back from vacation. It has been YEARS since we have been on a vacation. I don't eat much meat so it can be a challenge for me to get the right ratio of protein. Maybe you can give me some guidance.

I saved since 07 for the P2C. It was a long haul, but I finally got all the cash to get the bike. Now I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew with the bike!

2008-12-18 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1862466

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
TracyV - 2008-12-18 8:59 PM

Kewaunee is just south of Door County on Lake Michigan. It is north of Two Rivers if you are at all familiar with the lakeshore?? There is a really challenging Duathlon race here in July, right before the Door County Tri.

I was just talking with John from In Competition sports in Green Bay. He recommended spinning also. He said it helps create a better pedal stroke? Is that the right term? The coveted round pedal motion. I think I have a square pedal motion. I bike like I am a kid again on her banana seat bike.

Dh and I are going to spin on Saturdays at the Y in Manitowoc. It is our plan! I have been on and off logging my food. I will get serious after we get back from vacation. It has been YEARS since we have been on a vacation. I don't eat much meat so it can be a challenge for me to get the right ratio of protein. Maybe you can give me some guidance.

I saved since 07 for the P2C. It was a long haul, but I finally got all the cash to get the bike. Now I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew with the bike!

I think as us being runners THEN bikers our ankels are kind of striff during the pedal stroke.  I sort if try to remeber to almost pretend I am kicking my butt on the upstroke.  And remeber to go over the top.  FOr a while I had a dead spot at the bottom of the pedal stroke.  A good thing about spin class is they usually have mirros where you can watch yourself.  Some of the spinerval dvds have some good tips on pedal stroke too.

2008-12-18 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI

Can you recommend which spinnerval dvds to buy? I have been looking at them for a long time, but was unsure what to get. I am going to bike tomorrow. I will think about kicking my butt tomorrow. That is good advice.

There is a bike shop in GB that can computerize your pedal stroke. If I knew what I was doing wrong that would help A LOT!!  I am focusing on biking this winter. No slacking or getting bored on the trainer. I need to get faster and more efficient.

I am not sure how anyone could bike for 112 miles??? That is amazing to me. 20 miles seems like a small feat.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 47