General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did my first tri, was directionally challenged in the swim. help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 11:01 PM

Subject: Did my first tri, was directionally challenged in the swim. help?

hi,

I did the SBR sprint in Harriman NY and across the board, all went well.  Was my first OWS and first time in the wetsuit but I really can't complain.  Some traffic problems in the swim but the main problem I had was swimming in a straight line.  Obviously, there was no blue line at the bottom of the lake, which really would have helped (lol) but I veered about 50-75 yards off course to the point where the guys in the row boats were like, dude...go that way.

Has anyone had this situation?  Can't find any other threads that address this so I figured I would throw it out there and get some tips.

Thanks.

2008-08-18 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1612556

User image

Fort Worth
Subject: RE: Did my first tri, was directionally challenged in the swim. help?

I think being directionally challenged might be pretty common in virign OWS voyages!

Of course, some sighting practice will help but sight too much and you put a fair amount of strain on your back and hamstrings--that'll hurt you in the run.

My suggestion....practice starting lined up on the side opposite of that you breathe.  For example, if you breathe on the right, line up on the left.  That way, every time you breathe, you have most of your wave in view.  If the masses are getting away from you, you might be going off course.  Keep them in sight, hang on to some feet, and go. 

It will come with some practice...and you'll get use to not having the black line as your navigational compass.

congrats on your first tri!

2008-08-19 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
upnunder - 2008-08-18 9:01 AM

hi,

I did the SBR sprint in Harriman NY and across the board, all went well. Was my first OWS and first time in the wetsuit but I really can't complain. Some traffic problems in the swim but the main problem I had was swimming in a straight line. Obviously, there was no blue line at the bottom of the lake, which really would have helped (lol) but I veered about 50-75 yards off course to the point where the guys in the row boats were like, dude...go that way.

Has anyone had this situation? Can't find any other threads that address this so I figured I would throw it out there and get some tips.

Thanks.

Practice swimming in OW, or in pools swim with your eyes closed, and only open them to look up out of the water to see where you're going. Practicing spotting will help you tons.  

2008-08-19 6:05 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I have two ideas for you.  In training swims, get used to sighting on something in the distance without disrupting your stroke.  I use a clock on the wall (trying once each lap to get a quick read on the time), but in a pinch you could also setup sandals or a towel . In the race, every so many strokes, take a sighting and readjust if needed.

Also, before the swim wave starts, walk the perimeter of the swim course to get an idea of how the bouys will look from different angles, so you are prepared mentally for the swim.

2008-08-19 7:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-19 9:29 PM

Thanks all, sounds like sighting is the key and those were all great ideas.

Bachorb, those hills were a lot tougher than I thought they were going to be but I had a lot left for the run so I felt good.  Wasn't expecting the running trail to be as rough either...but since it was my first I had nothing to compare it to.  

Will be back next year with hopefully a few others under my belt.

Thanks again.

2008-08-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1612570

Denver
j-squared - 2008-08-18 11:12 PM

I think being directionally challenged might be pretty common in virign OWS voyages!

Of course, some sighting practice will help but sight too much and you put a fair amount of strain on your back and hamstrings--that'll hurt you in the run.

My suggestion....practice starting lined up on the side opposite of that you breathe.  For example, if you breathe on the right, line up on the left.  That way, every time you breathe, you have most of your wave in view.  If the masses are getting away from you, you might be going off course.  Keep them in sight, hang on to some feet, and go. 

It will come with some practice...and you'll get use to not having the black line as your navigational compass.

congrats on your first tri!

This is funny because I figured this out on my last Tri by accident, but it worked like a charm!!

2008-08-19 9:44 PM

Coach
Boston, MA
you should watch the Men OWS 10k (right now the women race is about to finish) to learn some OWS and navigating skills! It is very cool
2008-08-19 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1612570

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
j-squared - 2008-08-18 11:12 PM

Awesome idea. I'm trying that next time.

2008-08-19 10:41 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
I find that in longer swims when I get tired I tend to veer off course due to pulling harder and keeping better form on my stronger side. A little concentration on balanced form usually corrects this.Congratulations on your race!
2008-08-21 8:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Echo everything above. You just need sighting practice.

Again..best way to "teach" your body to swim straight is to swim with your eyes closed in the pool (when you are face down..open your eyes when you roll up to sight)...see how many strokes you can go without hitting the lane line. Then you know how often you should sight.

When you sight..try to keep your head flat in the water, one goggle under water, one above the water and just peek ahead, like a crocodile. ONce you get used to this type of sighting, you will be able to sight more often without slowing yourself down. Try not to pick your whole head out of the water...thus stalling your hips/legs.

One other corrective thought: Do you breathe bilaterally? This could also help you.

2008-08-21 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1618238

Nampa, Idaho
Never done it but seen it! At my first tri some lady was swimming perpendicularly in front of me. Like I was gonna t-bone her if I didn't say anything!

I just sight by looking up every few strokes. Works pretty well...that and when you breast stroke alot seeing where you're going is easy...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did my first tri, was directionally challenged in the swim. help? Rss Feed