General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-21 8:53 AM

Subject: Bike Advice

I am looking for some bike advice.

Bascially, I am looking at getting a used tri bike for around $1000. I have found a few that I am going to go look at and ride this weekend. My main question is, how do I tell if it's good for me and if it fits properly. I am not a bike expert by any means.

I figured it would be cheaper to buy a used tri bike for ~$1000 rather than buying a decent road bike for like $700, then getting aerobars, a computer and all the fancy gadgets.

The models I am going to look at are: Aquila Elite, Aquila Dual Aero, and a Cervelo P2K.

Out of the three I am kind of leaning towards the Cervelo P2K provided it fits okay and I like it. From reading information on the net, Cervelo seems to be a better bike than Aquila.

What do you guys think?

2008-08-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1618269

Subject: RE: Bike Advice

Go to your local LBS and look at tri-bikes.  Get on a couple.  Any knowledgeable sales person should at least be able to nail down frame size for you without doing a formal fitting.  I would explain to them that you are looking at a couple of used bikes but that you would like to set an appointment for a fitting session if you do end up buying used.  Most shops charge 50-75.00 for this service.  It will be the best money you've spent.   Unfortunately, some fitters are better than others so do a little research before you settle on a shop.  Try and find a shop that does a significant amount of tri business.  Also do some fit research online that way you'll know what to watch for and ask as you are being fitted.

2008-08-21 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Here is a copy from a resource I recently wrote for our own website.

ONOe thing that strcuk me is that you are considering a used bike for about $1000. If you do some research you'll see that, at this time of year since everything ison sale, you can actually find a new triathlon bike for $1000 or even a little less.

There are more resources to buy and sell used bicycles than ever before. On line auctions such as E-Bay, classified listing services such as Craig’s list and internet forum classified sites such as Slowtwitch and Road Bike Review are all resources for selling and buying used bicycles and equipment.

The used market is frequently perceived as a good way to buy an entry level bike for new athletes who aren’t sure if they will stay in the sport of cycling or triathlon long enough to justify a purchase. Buying a used bike as your first bike may be a good strategy for saving money on initial selling price but it may lead to additional costs that could approach or even exceed the purchase price of a new bike.

The Advantages of Buying Used.

The primary advantage of buying used may be price. In general, used bikes are sold at a discount or depreciated price from their original selling price. The amount of discount or depreciation depends on the amount of use and the size of the used market.

Another advantage of buying a used bike may be informational provided you have a relationship with the seller. If you are buying a used bike from someone you know who has been in the sport long enough to have experience they may be able to assist you with advice and insights on whether the bike is right for you and fits you correctly. If you have known the person for some time and will likely ride with them once the sale is made it is like having your bike shop along for the ride when you train together. This may be an advantage to you, but a disadvantage to the person selling the bike who may not want the responsibilities associated with servicing the bike after the sale. This is something to discuss with the seller prior to the purchase. Be sure expectations on both parties parts are clear prior to the purchase.

The Disadvantages of Buying Used.

If you are a triathlete or road rider then you will be riding your bike in a performance setting. Performance road and triathlon bikes are built firstly with light weight and high performance in mind. As a result they need frequent maintenance and they have a number of wear items. Wear items on a bike include the tires, chain, cables, chainrings and cogset. When you buy new you are getting new wear items. A used bike may be approaching the time when these wear items need to be replaced. Replacing all the wear items on an entry level road or triathlon bike usually costs about $300-400 depending on the specific equipment and what you are paying for qualified labor. Here is an idea of how that breaks down:

- Tires, (2) $49.99 each.
- Tubes, (2) $5.99 each.
- Chain, Shimano 105, $34.99.
- Cogset (cassette), Shimano 105, $79.99.
- Chainrings, 53/39 tooth, Shimano 105, $29.99 and $45.99
- Total Cost of replacement wear items: $302.92
- Approximate labor to install: $ 60.00
- Total: $362.92

This takes into account replacing all wear items on a used bike which may not be necessary at first. However, the cycle of replacing these items runs about one to two years if the original owner has kept up with routine maintenance. If you ask the seller if they have replaced the chain, chainrings and/or cogset and they haven’t in the last 2 years it’s likely you will inherit this replacement cost.

The primary drawback to buying used is fit and position. Unlike buying a used car, bicycles (and especially performance oriented road and triathlon bikes) are fit specifically to the rider. The single largest opportunity for comfort, safety and overall performance is with optimizing fit and position. No other aspect of the purchase is more important that bike fit and rider position. There are 16 variables used to control the riders fit and position. They are:

Handlebar width, drop, bend and reach.
Aerobar length.
Aerobar pad width.
Stem length and angle.
Seatpost fore/aft position.
Saddle selection.
Saddle height.
Crank length.
Chainring size (gearing).
Cassette (cogset) size (gearing).
Pedal system.
Cleat adjustment.

It would be almost impossible for all 16 fit parameters to be identical from one rider to the next. Good, comfortable fit and position is most important to new riders, so it is likely the fit from one rider to the next will be significantly different. In the best of circumstances this can lead to discomfort and compromised performance. In the worst of circumstances this can lead to injury or unsafe bike handling which could contribute to a crash.

Most retailers include at least some of the cost of a fitting I the purchase of a bike. Components that need to be changed to achieve proper fit are usually exchanged at no charge for equal value items. That means if a new bike you are considering comes with a 110 mm stem length but you need a 100 mm stem there is no cost to make the change- same goes for swapping equal value saddles, cranks, etc. These can be significant value in having these costs included in the purchase price.

Another factor that has influenced that has changed the way we buy used bikes is the internet resources. These have made selling used bikes much easier for the seller and driven up resale values for the buyer especially on competitive sites such as E-Bay were buyers compete to see how much they will pay. It is almost “backwards retail” where the bargaining moves the price upward instead of downward. Combined with the vagaries surrounding exactly what you are getting and its condition along with the costs and logistics of shipping the secondary internet bike market clearly favors the seller.

As you consider the economic realities of buying used it becomes less and less appealing.

It is the specialty nature of buying a performance oriented road or triathlon bicycle that makes each sale unique. No two bikes are configured exactly the same for two riders. Especially for a new athlete just entering the sport the right set up is critical and can save time and frustration when getting used to new equipment.

While used bikes can be a viable buying option it is important to consider the real costs of buying and operating a used bike versus a new bike. While the initial purchase price of a new bike may be as much as 40% higher than a comparable used bike it may quickly become the less expensive alternative if fitting and maintenance costs on the used bike begin to add up. Additionally each rider has to place some value on their time and tolerance for the logistics associated with buying a used bike (and a new bike).
2008-08-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1618359

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Tom - Did you just imply that you've got P2-C's on sale at your shop for $1,000 or even "a little less"?  That IS what you wrote, didn't you?  "Everything is on sale."  I can hold you to that can't I?  You are a man of your word, right?

Tongue out

After that first paragraph, you sort of lost me.  Wink

2008-08-21 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Provided the Cervelo fits OK and the components are in decent shape, that would be the best choice.

Unlike Tom, the owner of a bike shop, I do not replace all those things every two years. I have a road bike with maybe 20-30,000 miles on it and I have never replaced the cassette or the chain rings - which are in good shape. I've replaced the chain once. To me these are the kind of items that will last a very long time with some regular maintenance. Tires and tubes are replaced as they wear out, but you can get decent training tires for half of what Tom quoted.

I also bought a used tri bike this year. However, I got it from a friend who I know barely used it. He is also almost the exact same size physically. The bike was in brand new condition and I got it for about half what he paid for it. I did some basic fitting on my own, then took it to the LBS for some tweaking. The LBS fitter spent about 15 minutes making a few minor changes and the cost was minimal. I did also get a wireless computer from the LBS as the bike had none.

Although a seller can tell you anything, it may be helpful to ask why the bike is being sold. My friend sold the bike because he never could get comfortable riding aero. Others may sell due to upgrading or not doing tris any more. Of course there will be people attempting to sell a bike that's been crashed, but you should make the purchase contingent upon examination of your LBS if at all possible.

2008-08-21 10:44 AM

Thanks for the information. I have been looking around at local bike shops in the area, and I cannot find any tri bikes being sold new for anywhere near $1000. The closest I found I think was $1399, which is why I was leaning towards the used bike rather than a new one. Maybe it has something to do with my area opposed to others. I am from Canada, not the US.

The used bike I am leaning to is the following: Cervelo P2K with an 56 cm aluminum frame. The wheels on it are Spinergy X-Aero lite wheels. All the components are ultegra components. It also comes with a computer and clip in pedals. Do you guys think that this is a good deal for the price of it?

2008-08-21 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1618669

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Donskiman - 2008-08-21 11:39 AM

Provided the Cervelo fits OK and the components are in decent shape, that would be the best choice.

Unlike Tom, the owner of a bike shop, I do not replace all those things every two years. I have a road bike with maybe 20-30,000 miles on it and I have never replaced the cassette or the chain rings - which are in good shape. I've replaced the chain once. To me these are the kind of items that will last a very long time with some regular maintenance. Tires and tubes are replaced as they wear out, but you can get decent training tires for half of what Tom quoted.

I also bought a used tri bike this year. However, I got it from a friend who I know barely used it. He is also almost the exact same size physically. The bike was in brand new condition and I got it for about half what he paid for it. I did some basic fitting on my own, then took it to the LBS for some tweaking. The LBS fitter spent about 15 minutes making a few minor changes and the cost was minimal. I did also get a wireless computer from the LBS as the bike had none.

Although a seller can tell you anything, it may be helpful to ask why the bike is being sold. My friend sold the bike because he never could get comfortable riding aero. Others may sell due to upgrading or not doing tris any more. Of course there will be people attempting to sell a bike that's been crashed, but you should make the purchase contingent upon examination of your LBS if at all possible.

To the OP - I would say this is not the norm. Normally you will have to replace the cassette, chain rings and chain more frequently. I just replaced one of my chain rings and chain at around 3,000 miles.

I would generally lean towards the Cervelo but would want to know the following info before saying it is a good deal and the right bike for you:

1) most important -does it fit?
2) Year and mileage of the bike
3) Condition of the frame and compenents (see Tom's well written post above for some examples of things to look for).

Good luck!
2008-08-21 1:03 PM

I have listed the basic description of it in my last post. I am going to go take a look at it this weekend and test ride it to see what I think of it.

I will ask those questions to the seller tonight and return with the answers as soon as I get them. I think the bike is a 2003 or 2004 that is in excellent condition and has only like 2000 miles on it.

If a bike has been crashed or in an accident and has been fixed, is it not worth buying as it will never function as well as a normal bike? I mean, incomparison to a car, if its in an accident it can be fixed by a bodyman, and it will still preform the exact same, although the value of it will drop significantly. Is it the same for bikes, or..?

Edited by KLemoire 2008-08-21 1:13 PM
2008-08-21 2:02 PM

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
I can speak from my own experiance that happened 1 hour ago. Last season I bought a Scattante road bike from my LBS that had a brand new frame and built together with Shimano 600 componants. It was a great entry level bike and after I put aero bars (free from another triathlete) and replaced the lower bracket because the wrong one was on it I raced it for the year and was quite happy. I planned to keep this bike for anothr season or two when my wife suprised me with an Argon 18 Mercury for my birthday. I listed my bike on Craigslist and it sold in 4 days.

All told, I had 450 invested in my bike and I sold it for 400 after using it for the year. I now have a bike that I will have for a long long time. Had I bought my Argon last year though and then decided I didn't like Tri and wanted to stick to running, I would never had recouped my cash.

All I'm saying is that for my first season while working more on my engine and swimming than anything else, my bike was fine. It maybe didn't fit as well as my new bike but I never had fear that I HAD to stick to tri because of a huge investment. (My wife noww tells me that is different with the new bike)

Spend wisely and make sure your investment reflects your dedication, not the other way around.
2008-08-21 2:02 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

2008 Motobecane Nemesis for $995

Shimano Ultegra, 20 Speed Triathlon Bike
2008 Motobecane Nemesis

Full Aero Frame and Carbon Fork
Ritchey Bar, Stem, XeroLite Wheels

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/nemesis06_SPECIALpre.htm 

===============================================

That looks like a pretty good deal and the shipping is included

Edited by tri_d00d 2008-08-21 2:12 PM
2008-08-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1619153

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
No, if a bike has been crashed, it pretty much is garbage. Dents in tubes from even from dropping the bike the wrong way against a wall or a a rock can compromise tubing strength. Look very carefully at the frame of a used bike for re-paints, touch ups, etc. On the chainstays, that's likely OK as you're dressing up cosmetic chain rub damage. But, on the main triangle, those are signs the bike may have been crashed and are covering up damage. Damage which could fail on you at the worst time with horrible consequences.

Remember that wall tickness is extremely thin and a dent which doesn't look bad might actually be compressing >100% beyond the inner wall of that tube.

With Carbon fiber, look very carefully at tube junctions for paint cracks radially opposite the length of the tube (crosswise). These indicate that possibly the bike was hit and impacted. Might look cosmetic, but do you KNOW with your life at risk that it's not been damaged in the underneath layers. Only X-ray can tell you that.

Not trying to poo-poo buying a used bike, just be confident that you know what the history really is. It's important.

2008-08-21 2:24 PM

Thanks for your advice GaveGibb.

That bike looks pretty decent although, I'm not from the US, so the shipping wouldn't be free.

I apprecriate the input. Any advice is good advice. I will be sure to look carefully at the paint and other things you pointed out.

Provided the bike and components are in good shape and it hasn't been crashed etc, do you guys think $1000 is a good deal reasonably priced or a bad deal? Once again the bike is a Cervelo P2k, aluminum frame with ultegra components and it has 650c Spindery Xero-lite wheels. It also comes with a computer and clip-in pedals.

Edited by KLemoire 2008-08-21 2:32 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Advice Rss Feed