General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Triathlete's Training Bible and any other books Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-21 10:17 AM

User image

Miami, FL
Subject: The Triathlete's Training Bible and any other books

I tried searching about this but the search function continues to error.

I have started training for my first Tri and am only a week into it. I would like to purchase some books/DVD's that would aid me in my training. I am no stranger to running or calisthenics but lack the experience in biking and competitive swimming and want an overall baseline on what to follow, BT is a great tool but I have always found books to give me a solid foundation for whatever I am venturing into.

Found The Triathletes Training Bible and read the reviews on Amazon but wanted to get a feel from the BT members as well as any other recommendations from someone starting out.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Edited by doubletap 2008-08-21 10:18 AM

2008-08-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1618583

User image

Subject: RE: The Triathlete's Training Bible and any other books

Here is my 02. regarding swimming , cycling, and books/material.

Take a look at the Total Immersion book and DVD. Even if you are a good swimmer, it may help you streamline your techniques. I mentioned in other posts that my local YMCA has a US Certified Swimming coach that specializes in tri swimming. There are other US Swim coaches there as well. Cost is around $18 for for a 30 minute session. Worth it too me once a week for a month or so if it is affordable. Heck, even twice a month and practice. Check your local YMCA.

Swimming at the beach with lifeguards training is another way to go for OWS.
It is just a matter of asking. We, family and friends, did it as kids in a group for years.

If you follow any of the BT training programs, they are straight forward in regards to everything. So, the cycling program will be self-explanatory... time &/or distance, rpms, intervals,  etc. same with swimming and running.

Same with  books.The majority are straight forward with some variation. I would go to the library since it is free. I fancy the bookstore since they have more and I can read  all the books at once. In turn, I purchase 1 or 2 that interest me.

If you like fellowship and plenty of face to face training and advice, see if there a local tri-club or road bike club in your area.

I am a book person. However, everything that has been written in the majority of books that are on the shelf is on this site and others. 

Best of Luck

2008-08-21 11:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Basic introduction book is Triathlete Magazine's Complete Triathlon book. Simple, explains basics, etc.
2008-08-21 11:27 AM

User image

Miami, FL
Thanks for all the help, I will look into all the recommendations given in the thread.
2008-08-21 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The Triathlete's Training Bible is good for overall training strategy and periodization principles, but doesn't get too deep into technique if that's what you're looking for.

Total Immersion is very helpful, but I'd suggest getting a copy of the accompanying DVD as the descriptions & line drawings of the drills in the book can be somewhat confusing.  They make a lot more sense once you watch the video.

If you're new to swimming and cycling, I'd recommend having a coach or some accomplished swimmers/cyclists help you with your technique so you don't end up reinforcing bad habits when you train.  It's hard to objectively critique your own technique when you're first starting out.  

Welcome to BT and good luck. 

Mark

2008-08-21 12:58 PM

Veteran
Florida
Its a great resource, but you have to put the pieces together to get a plan.

TI is good if you dont swim well, if you are a good swimmer it may not help you much, IMHO it teaches you how to swim with confidence and endurance , but not alot of speed.

I would find what they call a "Masters Swim" group in your area or hire a coach.

2008-08-21 1:08 PM

User image

Miami, FL
Good advice from all, looks like I have some phone calls to make.
2008-08-21 1:49 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

IMO *I* would definitely avoid the triathlete training bible and instead buy Scientific training for triathletes by Philip Skibba. TTB contains some irrelevant info for beginners IMO and it also provide inaccurate info or coined terms (i.e. AeT).

In terms of swimming *I* would avoid Total Immersion and rather would buy some of the great books around like “swimming fastest” or DVDs like the ones offered at goswim.tv IMO TI is a good option for those athletes with no swim background at all and who having trouble just getting into the water but for a beginner who do some swimming (regardless whether slow or short) I think would be better serve to work on proper and complete technique since day 1. I believe TI is an incomplete approach and as an athlete wants to swim faster he/she has to unlearned habits suggested by that approach and focus on other aspect and that IMO is a waste of time. For running I would go something like Daniels Running Formula, or the Lore of running (although it is long and can be technical)

In terms of cycling I think it is easiest sport of the three and you just need to spend time in the saddle. If you want good and simple coaching advice you can ask around here there are many smart/experience folks. Good luck!

2008-08-21 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1618752

User image

Extreme Veteran
randym - 2008-08-21 12:10 PM

Basic introduction book is Triathlete Magazine's Complete Triathlon book. Simple, explains basics, etc.

x2. Love this book! I also have TTB and am not quite ready yet to build my own training- phases, etc.. I use the Triathlete's magazine's book along with the Training plan book that Matt Fitzergerald wrote and have never been fitter!
2008-08-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1619335

User image

Miami, FL
amiine - 2008-08-21 2:49 PM

IMO *I* would definitely avoid the triathlete training bible and instead buy Scientific training for triathletes by Philip Skibba. TTB contains some irrelevant info for beginners IMO and it also provide inaccurate info or coined terms (i.e. AeT).

In terms of swimming *I* would avoid Total Immersion and rather would buy some of the great books around like “swimming fastest” or DVDs like the ones offered at goswim.tv IMO TI is a good option for those athletes with no swim background at all and who having trouble just getting into the water but for a beginner who do some swimming (regardless whether slow or short) I think would be better serve to work on proper and complete technique since day 1. I believe TI is an incomplete approach and as an athlete wants to swim faster he/she has to unlearned habits suggested by that approach and focus on other aspect and that IMO is a waste of time. For running I would go something like Daniels Running Formula, or the Lore of running (although it is long and can be technical)

In terms of cycling I think it is easiest sport of the three and you just need to spend time in the saddle. If you want good and simple coaching advice you can ask around here there are many smart/experience folks. Good luck!

I actually read TI prior to attending Combat Diver school in the Army but did not see the DVD. I will definitely be checking out all the suggestions given here.

I have always been a good runner but with all the weight gain have been getting a lot of shin splints lately, I will attribute that to the extra weight and probably the shoes. I have decided to hit the stationary bike 3X a week for a while to drop some lbs before trying to run again.

Thank you all for the advise and keep um coming. Looks like a trip to the bookstore is in order.

2008-08-21 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
Here are a few that have helped me.

TRI Power by Frediani/Smith
Swim, Bike, Run by Hobson, Campbell, Vickers
Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan
Triathlon Training by Finch (like this very much)
also some good info in Triathlon Workout Planner by John Mora

2008-08-25 8:41 AM

User image

Miami, FL
Appreciate all the help, with all this reading I need to find some time to train. Laughing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Triathlete's Training Bible and any other books Rss Feed