General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triple or Compact Crank Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-29 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: Triple or Compact Crank
Without going into all the history (it's long) I need to replace my crankset. Should I replace the triple I already have or switch to a compact? Yes, I know I need a new bottom bracket, chain and cassette too. And a derailleur, so sicne I'm switching those all out, I have the option to switch. Thoughts? Benefits/drawbacks? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Lani

2008-10-29 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1774667

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Triple or Compact Crank

My first bike was a triple, since then my next four bikes have been compacts.

My question for you is what cassette do you have now? Do you use your easiest gear smallest gear up front and biggest one in back climbing hills? Do you live or race on hilly terrain? So you see yourself a strong cyclist.

If you go with compact and 12-27 you lose either one or two gears compared to triple with 12-25 cassette. If you never use the two largest gears in back with the smallest gear up front, I'd say get a compact as the gearing is similar to what you use.

I like compact much better as my triple dropped the chain a lot. I have 4-5 different folks try to adjust it so it won't drop the chain but it never worked. I now drop my chain maybe once a year...with the triple it was most every ride. It may be part was I ride better now and know better how to shift gears..can't have a lot of torque on the drivetrain when changing gears.

2008-10-30 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1774834

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Kathy,

I have a triple with a 10 speed cassette, and haven't had problems until recently. In a nutshell when I got my Powertap wheel this year, a 9 speed cassette was installed instead of a 10 (I didn't check). All summer I was having "difficulities" shifting (but not dropping the chain). Recently started having trouble with the chain "skipping", was told that there were broken and worn teeth on my middle ring. Purchased a new 9 speed crankset and bottom bracket. Still having trouble. Went to a different LBS, finally get answer. 9 speed cassette and 9 speed crankset with 10 speed derailleur. I had been mixing and matching 9/10 speed components all summer.

New LBS is recommending new parts to start "fresh" and I am very much in favor of this. However, since I'm replacing everything, now would be the time to change. Although now that I think about it I would need new shifters with a compact versus triple. Hmmm, more $$$
2008-10-30 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1775079

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
wwlani - 2008-10-30 8:14 AM

Kathy,

I have a triple with a 10 speed cassette, and haven't had problems until recently. In a nutshell when I got my Powertap wheel this year, a 9 speed cassette was installed instead of a 10 (I didn't check). All summer I was having "difficulities" shifting (but not dropping the chain). Recently started having trouble with the chain "skipping", was told that there were broken and worn teeth on my middle ring. Purchased a new 9 speed crankset and bottom bracket. Still having trouble. Went to a different LBS, finally get answer. 9 speed cassette and 9 speed crankset with 10 speed derailleur. I had been mixing and matching 9/10 speed components all summer.

New LBS is recommending new parts to start "fresh" and I am very much in favor of this. However, since I'm replacing everything, now would be the time to change. Although now that I think about it I would need new shifters with a compact versus triple. Hmmm, more $$$

Something's dark in Denmark here...

I don't mean to chide, but you shouldn't be in this situation. Sounds like really poor LBS work...

Let's see if I have it straight: Your original bike was:
10 speed shifter, cassette, bb, derailleur and triple crankset.

Your power tap was 9 speed (accidentally).

Q1: Who mucked this up and took away your 10 speed cassette? This starts the problems...

You bought a 9 speed crankset (your 10 should work just as well, but...) and a botom bracket.

Q2: Was this triple? If "9 speed" the BB is separate and not just cups, right? If spindle in the BB, you could have serious compatibility mismatch possibilities. The spindle length sets the chainline spacing and you need a 108mm for double and a 118 for triple. It depends on your crankset and your frame.

Broken teeth on middle ring?

Q3: How on god's green earth do you break a chainring tooth and not realize this? That takes SERIOUS effort to do! Why didn't they simply replace that chainring for $40 instead of a new front 1/2 of the drivetrain?

10 speed derailleur and 9 speed everything else?

Q4: This works fine. There is simply no difference if you set the limits of travel properly. It works; I use it all the time.

Q5: Has the bike been re-cabled? IMHO: Cables and housing can cause poor shifting in many instances.

Q6: Shifters? Are these bar ends or STI integrated. If bar ends, you could run them friction mode and not have to swap out between 10 and 9. If STI, then your bike should have always been 10 speed since it came that way. If bar end 10 speed shifters w/ a 9 speed cassette: Your poor shifting answer is right here. That's not going to work.

IIWY: I'd go back to the original set up you had. Get new chain rings, a new 10 speed casette, a new chain (you never did say you swapped out chains), recable the bike and get it going.

IIWY2: I'd get better mechanics. Who does things like this? Throwing parts at the issue and handing back the bike w/ the wrong cassette is really poor form. The "new" LBS is simply wrong about incompatibility of 10 and 9 speed; both cranksets and deraillerus. 10 speed these will work on 9.

IIWY3: Compacts have their limitations as do triples. Neither works 100% perfectly. The triple can be a PIA to get right; the compact is a bit easier to set up. You need to get the proper front derailleur which can change the 16 tooth difference in front rings.

Edited by pitt83 2008-10-30 7:41 AM
2008-10-30 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

If you were using the small chainring a lot then go with a triple.  If it never got any use then go with a compact.

Personally I use my inner ring of my triple a fair bit in some of the bike races that I do (ie. the really hilly ones) and switching to a double or compact would really hinder my performance.  But, for my Tri bike that I am in the process of building I'm going for a double because tri courses tend not to be excessively hilly. 

So you need to consider how much use the inner ring gets and also the types of courses you are likely to be doing.  Hope this helps.

2008-10-30 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Answers added/included

I don't mean to chide, but you shouldn't be in this situation (darn right). Sounds like really poor LBS (coach)work...

Let's see if I have it straight: Your original bike was:
10 speed shifter, cassette, bb, derailleur and triple crankset. YES

Your power tap was 9 speed (accidentally).

Q1: Who mucked this up and took away your 10 speed cassette? This starts the problems...
A1: My coach
You bought a 9 speed crankset (your 10 should work just as well, but...) and a botom bracket.
I bought a 9 speed crankset based upon information from coach that I needed a 9 speed, based upon the fact that I had a 9 speed cassette..I was looking for just a ring, but LBS didn’t have one and I needed to get on a plane, sold me the crankset off a floor model that someone was upgrading with the bracket for $100, I was desperate for repair, so…

Q2: Was this triple? If "9 speed" the BB is separate and not just cups, right? If spindle in the BB, you could have serious compatibility mismatch possibilities. The spindle length sets the chainline spacing and you need a 108mm for double and a 118 for triple. It depends on your crankset and your frame.
A: Mismatched for sure, I wasn’t able to shift “up” the rings as spacing was off

Broken teeth on middle ring?

Q3: How on god's green earth do you break a chainring tooth and not realize this? That takes SERIOUS effort to do! Why didn't they simply replace that chainring for $40 instead of a new front 1/2 of the drivetrain?

A; See above AND new LBS informs me that some teeth look like they are broken but are not, Designed that way, common mistake. Were they ever broken in the first place???

10 speed derailleur and 9 speed everything else?

Q4: This works fine. There is simply no difference if you set the limits of travel properly. It works; I use it all the time.

Q5: Has the bike been re-cabled? IMHO: Cables and housing can cause poor shifting in many instances.

A: Nope, doesn’t appear to be needed

Q6: Shifters? Are these bar ends or STI integrated. If bar ends, you could run them friction mode and not have to swap out between 10 and 9. If STI, then your bike should have always been 10 speed since it came that way. If bar end 10 speed shifters w/ a 9 speed cassette: Your poor shifting answer is right here. That's not going to work.
A: STI

IIWY: I'd go back to the original set up you had. Get new chain rings, a new 10 speed casette, a new chain (you never did say you swapped out chains), recable the bike and get it going.
I did get new chainring

IIWY2: I'd get better mechanics. Who does things like this? Throwing parts at the issue and handing back the bike w/ the wrong cassette is really poor form. The "new" LBS is simply wrong about incompatibility of 10 and 9 speed; both cranksets and deraillerus. 10 speed these will work on 9.

A: My bad. Used my coach as bike mechanic. When she couldn’t fix it went to LBS in desperation (should have gone there first, lesson learned). New LBS isn’t saying it wouldn’t work, just that I have so much mix and match going on that I should start fresh with the original setup I had.

IIWY3: Compacts have their limitations as do triples. Neither works 100% perfectly. The triple can be a PIA to get right; the compact is a bit easier to set up. You need to get the proper front derailleur which can change the 16 tooth difference in front rings.
THANK YOU!

2008-10-30 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Listen to Pitt he knows his stuff.

But which way to go triple or compact is a power to weight ratio issue and type of riding you do.

What is your FTP?

I had someone put a 9 speed cassette on my bike but in shifting it still in shop they figured out within 2 minutes the mistake.

You must have had a lot of issues all summer...big bummer.

Training with power rocks!

2008-10-30 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I did have issues all summer. Looking back I should have known I had bigger issues. There was one day I was in my granny gear, flat road, going 9 mph, felt like I was pedaling through mud.

On the upside, I did get faster over the summer, think about how much faster I must have actually gotten! If I got faster with a mismatched setup and problems, how fast will I be when everything is working right?
2008-10-30 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Sounds like you've got your answer. Go back to your starting configuration of original stuff. If you do go compact, the FSA stuff is nice. Less expensive than Shimano, works like a dream and wears well. I have a couple of bikes w/ FSA and really like it.

I'd still re-cable and replace the housing on the bike; I do mine every year or so depending on use. If it's done carefully to remove any burrs from the housing, grease the cable when you install it and you use cable stops, your shifting is crisp like a new $1 bill.

Another thing to watch for: Your powertap hub may / may not require a small spacer on the hub flange to set the 10 speed cassette spacing correctly. Some hubs do, some don't. Trial and error or a careful read of the owner's manual are indicated

Edited by pitt83 2008-10-30 8:31 AM
2008-10-30 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Will check on the powertap spacing. Thank you isn't enough for all the advice
2008-10-31 1:26 AM
in reply to: #1775286

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
wwlani - 2008-10-30 7:16 AM

Will check on the powertap spacing. Thank you isn't enough for all the advice

So buy him dinner the next time you are in the States...... wink.

2008-10-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1775286

Master
portland, or
You will need the spacer. It should come with the cassette. I also suggest getting your bike re-cabled. As Pitt stated, it's a good thing to do on an annual basis regardless of your drivetrain issues.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triple or Compact Crank Rss Feed