General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower back pain on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-15 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: Lower back pain on bike

I tend to get excruciating lower back pain when I ride and it can come as quickly as 15 miles into a ride. My lower back and butt become numb and tingly to the touch as well. My only relief is to stop for 2-3 minutes to stand and do some light stretching. Once I do this I'm good to ride for awhile but eventually it'll come back.

It could be my position, position in the drops (see below), harder gearing, etc. WEAK BACK?! Bad posture in general?

Thoughts?

2011-07-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3598155

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lower back pain on bike
Maybe try some core work if you're not already.  A weak core will put a lot of stress on your lower back.  I had a sore lower back a while ago, decided I have a pathetically weak upper body, and started some core workouts.  Seemed to help and no more back pain.  Anecdotal, I know, but give it a try.
2011-07-15 11:26 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

I am no expert on bike fits........but to me you look a bit scrunched up.

It is not normal to have that level of discomfort after only 15 miles.

I am assuming that you have had a bike fit? I would  go back to the fitter and tell him your concerns.

If you want the bike fit gurus here to look at your photo, why not post it in a separate "critique my fit" thread? You will get lots of opinions, like it or not!

Best of luck to you. 

You should be happy and comfy on your bike!

2011-07-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3598203

User image

Coastal Carolina
aquagirl - 2011-07-15 12:26 PM

Best of luck to you. 

X2

2011-07-15 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Again, I'm not a fit pro either, but my first impression is that your frame is too small for you.

Hopefully some of our bike gurus will be checking in to offer their expertise. 

Mark
2011-07-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3598212

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Tripopo - 2011-07-15 1:31 PM
aquagirl - 2011-07-15 12:26 PM

Best of luck to you. 

X2

X3

And it might help if you put BOTH your feet in your shoes rather than just the left one. 

2011-07-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3598203

User image

Melon Presser
aquagirl - 2011-07-16 1:26 AM

I am assuming that you have had a bike fit? I would  go back to the fitter and tell him your concerns.

Best of luck to you. 

I'm no expert either, but you look way scrunched up ... if you were leaning forward with your elbows bent like you would if properly in the drops, you'd have to get your elbows out of the way of your knees.

The bike almost looks too small for you, too, but again, I really don't know and can't tell from one pic.

If you haven't had a fitting, get one. If you had, and you're confident in the fitter/highly recommended by cyclists, as Helen said, go back and get adjustments. If you weren't sure, get another fitting with another fitter.

That's a beautiful bike and you clearly want to ride; yeah, you should definitely be happy and comfy. Make it happen.

2011-07-15 12:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Check all of the above.

Bike could be a bit short in length considering your scrunched and elbows still look on top of the knees.

How is your core strength?  I picked up pilates after having been swimming for a year and doing my own things for a long time, and it made a noticeable difference.  Lots of balance and rotational strength gained.  Back pain is not necessarily a week back, could be the front muscles not strong enough to hold things in place.

How is flexibility?  Particularly around the hips, glutes and lower back.  hamstrings ok?  You're not in an aero tuck, but this can still have an effect.  Should be able to go beyond the needed range of motion without any effort.

2011-07-15 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

- I have not had a bike fit (will have to travel 90 min for one)
- I have a weak core and basically quit all core work to make more time for s,b,r. I think this suggestion is one of the best for me to consider. Can't believe I didn't think of this - but that's what you guys are for. My back will ache while doing the dishes!
- From what I read online, a sore back "stemmed" from being too stretched out so to hear that I'm scrunched up is surprising. My LBS is more into mountain bikes and isn't really into tris or racing roadies as much. He took my height and said 'this bike oughta work for ya.'
- Flexibility has always been an issue for me.

2011-07-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3598316

User image

Veteran
Trout - 2011-07-15 1:21 PM

- I have a weak core and basically quit all core work to make more time for s,b,r. I think this suggestion is one of the best for me to consider. Can't believe I didn't think of this - but that's what you guys are for. My back will ache while doing the dishes!
- From what I read online, a sore back "stemmed" from being too stretched out so to hear that I'm scrunched up is surprising. My LBS is more into mountain bikes and isn't really into tris or racing roadies as much. He took my height and said 'this bike oughta work for ya.'

IMO....I think the frame is OK( you cannot go on pure height alone to size a frame even for MTB's ) ...just need to get a longer stem and that may take care of how compact you are in a riding position...hard to tell thou with only seeing you in the drops.

How does your back feel when you are out on the hoods?

2011-07-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3598316

Veteran
Trout - 2011-07-15 12:21 PM

Your sink's too low.

LBS situation not too good, maybe you should look into a fit as well.

2011-07-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3598358

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
jsmoon - 2011-07-15 1:32 PM

IMO....I think the frame is OK( you cannot go on pure height alone to size a frame even for MTB's ) ...just need to get a longer stem and that may take care of how compact you are in a riding position...hard to tell thou with only seeing you in the drops.

The fact that he's already got a stack of spacers under the stem, plus, as you mention, the possible need for a longer stem are things that make me think the frame may be too small.

Mark
2011-07-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3598382

User image

Veteran
RedCorvette - 2011-07-15 1:43 PM
jsmoon - 2011-07-15 1:32 PM

The fact that he's already got a stack of spacers under the stem, plus, as you mention, the possible need for a longer stem are things that make me think the frame may be too small.

Mark

Could well be to small hence the "OK"...nothing worse than getting a bike sold to you that is to small and having to fanagle your body into it....hard to tell if that is the case.... He did mention no bike fit so assumption is the stack was how it came...you could take some spacers out and lengthen the stem to achieve a better upper body postion.

Again..assumptions from one photo...best to get a proper fit from a LBS that has some knowledge on bike fit other than...so, how tall are ya? Wink

2011-07-15 1:20 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Trout, based on the times you've posted elsewhere I'm going to guess you're in quite good shape, and your back is at least averagely strong unless there are extenuating circumstances/previous injury.

The bike looks a fraction small, decent in size but perhaps not quite right for you. The angle from your torso to upper arm should be closer to 90 degrees, yours looks somewhat less, which is what suggests a small bike issue but see stem comment below.

It could be several things, all of which a proper fit would sort out for certain:

Seat too low.

Saddle moved too far forward.

Stem too short.

Too many spacers.

If it turns out the bike is indeed one size too small and you don't want to part with it, it might be an excellent candidate for aero bars, in which case a smaller frame could actually be an asset.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower back pain on bike Rss Feed