Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Quarantine Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-25 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Quarantine
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are starting to pack for our trip to Busselton for IMWA, but I have some concerns. I was reading up on the quarantine restrictions for travel to Australia and I pretty much understood that anything food related must be declared. Once declared the inspector will decide as to it's disposistion. My concern was for our race fuel (gels, bars, powders, ect...), does anyone have any experience bringing these into the country? Thanks in advance, we are starting to get really excited about the trip/race

Mike

2009-11-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2531236

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Quarantine
I'd be really surprised if it was confiscated, as long as it's in sealed packets you should be fine. Opened cans of powder may be a problem so bring sealed new ones. The main worry is things like fresh fruit, honey and veg which may harbour wee beasties that could introduce diseases, viruses etc. If you've got any concerns contact the quarantine guys http://www.daff.gov.au/aqisdirect. I've had to do this when I was relocating from the UK and they were really helpful. Over the years, I've come back from America and Europe with all sorts of goodies, biscuits, sweets, cakes etc and never had problems. Just make sure you tell them you have them. I was once chatting to a girl who didn't declare jars of jam she had and she was fined $600 and searched.......everywhere. She would have got through with them fine, it was the fact that she didn't declare them that was the problem. When you collect your bags, they'll x-ray them anyway and they have sniffer dogs (little beagles, too cute for words), so don't take the risk. Customs/quarantine can take a bit of time, which is not what you need after such a long flight but the AQIS staff are really great and friendly.Busselton is a fabulous setting and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Are you going to be travelling around before/after? Daisyx
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Quarantine Rss Feed