USAT
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 20s
Overall Rank = 320/368
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke well this morning, got my bag ready and woke Susan and the kids. The race starts at 9:30 and is only a 45 minute drive but I wanted to be out there by 8:00. Ran to Dunkin Donuts for a bagel and donuts for the kids, everyone was just about ready to go but still got out of the driveway late at 7:30. The ride was nice, but cold out to Clinton. The parking lot was full and the racks were beginning to fill up, it was 8:20. The sun was out and the air was cold and windy, water temp was said to be 60 degrees, wetsuits were approved and highly suggested. However, it wasn't really the water temp that was so bad, it was getting out and hitting the air. Muy FRIO!
Event warmup:

This was more a mind warmup than body. I have trained very little over the last month, I'm not sure why but I just have been way off my groove. The last two weeks I've gotten in more running but I haven't swam in a month and this is going to be my longest swim yet. 1/2 mile in a beautiful resevoir that was starting to make a good chop from the wind. I really was just psyching myself up to be ok to finish, just do my best, let the chips fall where they may. Don't take the opportunities to stop, keep pushing, it's all about FINISHING.
Swim
  • 20m 55s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, this was quite the different exeprience from the first two sprints that I ran. 1/2 mile. I figured it would be more difficult but this was a nightmare. I kept my wits and did not lose it, I just couldn't get going. Like my shorter lake swims I had a problem keeping with the crawl stroke, I'm not sure why, I can certainly do these distances in the pool, but once I hit the open water I can't wrap my mind around the same type, style, timing of stroke that I perform in the pool. Maybe it's not being able to see the bottom? I'm not sure. Meanwhile I used a lot of sidestroke and breast. I was hoping to do this in about 20 minutes so I guess I shouldn't be let down, I just figure had I been able to keep up with the crawl the entire distance I may have been able to come up with a much better time.

The bouys were moving too much, it was very windy and they told us we had to stay to the left of the bouys at all times. Right before they were about to start us in the first wave the third bouy out moved about 70 feet to the left, hmmm, now it was swim between them, then it began moving back, hmmm. Back to keep the bouys on your right. I think they need shorter ropes to the bottom next time. This was frustrating before the start, and once out there they were still moving a good bit.
What would you do differently?:

More training beforehand, as I noted I haven't swam in the pool in about a month. God knows that can't have helped.
Transition 1
  • 04m 23s
Comments:

I think it was quite so long because of a long distance between the water and the transitition site. I was winded after the water and only put on a slight jog to the transition area. Had to sit to put on my socks and bike shoes. Helmet and gloves went on well.

257/357

For next year I would like to learn how to get into my sneakers while their clipped onto the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 17s
  • 14.1 miles
  • 13.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Ughhh. My bottom bracket (I think that's what's wrong) must be all fucked up. My pedals are not spinning and it's like pedaling in 10th gear all the time. I knew about this a few days before the race but wasn't able to get it to the shop. My biggest dissapointment, I think had I been able to have this fixed I could have dropped a significant amount of time. Ate 1/3 of a Clif bar right away, wanted to avoid any dizziness/lightheadedness that I experience in Danbury.

316/357

I have to get a new bike. Next spring. More hill training leading up to this one next year. I'm also beginning to think that my legs are warming up much to late in the bike ride, I must need to get out before the race and ride for a while. So far the idea of this has made me nervous in terms of trying to do too much. Hopefully next year will have room to experiment and get some more experience.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

The racks were way to crowded. Almost no room left when I tried to rack mine and I knocked the bikes on either side off the rack. Tried my best to fix the situation but since they were still standing figured what the hell, I tried.

Find out if I can rack my bike at the ends of the rack, they had a few empty ones for latecomers. Speak to the organizer about this for next year.
Run
  • 34m 31s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't remember drinking so much on the bike, actually checking the bottles afterward I probably only drank about 15oz or so, but I did drink about 30oz at 7:30 and then probably swallowed some lake water. Meanwhile on the run my stomach was sloshing away. Very uncomfortable, must figure out how to avoid this in the future.-

Considering that my recent 5 mile runs have been at about a pace of 13 minutes I'm pleased that I was able to run a faster pace.

Push harder. Not drink so much on bike? or in the morning?
Post race
Warm down:

Bend over, stand up, bend over. Two small cups of warm water provided by the wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training leading up to this one. The last month has been a major let down on my part in terms of my training.

Event comments:

The kids volunteered again. Very cool to have them personally urge me on over the PA system. The DJ was using them to help call out names passing the finish line. My wife was taking off ankle straps. It's great that they are still so willing to get involved. Next year my boys will definately get a taste of a kids tri, who knows, maybe even the girls.

The food following this race is good, it's too bad they don't offer any chairopractors or massages. They have what seems to be a huge turnout with what they say are some of the best in the field.

Overall I am very pleased to have finished. I was hoping to break 2 hours, I figured 20 mintues in the water, an hour on the bike and then 36 minutes on the run. I guess without my transitions I accomplished that, especially since I did not include them in my estimate. Either way I see it as a good base to build on for next year. Feeling back in the groove and looking forward to training throughout the fall and winter.

Last updated: 2004-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:55 | 800 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 307/368
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promtion Sleeveless
Course: Out and back. Looked like a legitamate 1/4 mile out, they used surveying equipment to measure the single bouy until they placed the others.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:17 | 14.1 miles | 13.16 mile/hr
Overall: 306/368
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: VERY hilly, leading to a nice long drop at about mile 9 for about a mile or so leading to a realitively rolling final 4 miles to the finish. The first 7 miles were quite hilly with an exteme climb at mile 6 to 7. A small flat between two good rises. I was pulling up at about 5 mph and was pleased to see the guys on the 3k+ bikes only doing maybe 7-8, ok maybe 9 but not much better.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:31 | 03.12 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 327/368
Course: Nice mostly flat course through Spruce run state Park. This was actually the road to the boat ramps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 10:44 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Skylands Triathlon

2004-09-21 7:47 PM
in reply to: #64047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Skylands Triathlon
Great race Steven!!! Great improvement on the run. That's so great that your whole family is involved in the tri experience, even getting the kids to volunteer!!! Awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skylands Triathlon Rss Feed