Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-16 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Jon Metz's Group - FULL
NAME: jonmetz/Jon
STORY:
I don't have any inspiring stories or life changing events to share. I Tri because it keeps me active and I enjoy working with people to help them achieve their goals.
FAMILY STATUS:
Single
CURRENT TRAINING:
I use periodization training with the addition of neuromuscular activation.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:
I participate in all length races from sprint to full distance.
2010 RACES:
  My 2010 "A" race is IMLP.
WEIGHTLOSS:
Began racing as a Clydesdale and now racing at a weight of 190lbs. at 6'3". 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I am a USAT Certified Coach and understand the importance of a good mentor.

Edited by jonmetz 2010-04-16 4:28 PM

2010-04-16 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2796294

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - OPEN

Need some motiviation and a good mentor! Would like to be part of this group!

will write more later....

Edited by amyjotris 2010-04-16 12:28 PM
2010-04-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2796549

User image

Master
amyjotris - 2010-04-16 1:09 PM

Need some motiviation and a good mentor! Would like to be part of this group!

Welcome to the group! I am sure, as an Ironman yourself, you can add a lot of knowledge to the discussion!
2010-04-16 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

The motivation I have, the knowledge and understanding of training techniques, how to get the most out of my workouts, general Triathlon topics such as gear and what to expect on race day are areas I would like to have help.

I have my first tri-sprint race next weekend (very nervous and excited). I have been training for this for about 3 months now. I started my transition 9 months ago at 260lbs and am currently 194. At 6'2" I feel I am getting close to a good weight and I am able to swim, bike, and run the sprint distances without issue. My major goal for this year is a HIM in October. I have identifed a few races over the next 3 months to help me prepare (a couple of sprints and atleast 1 Olympic distance) but after that I really am up in the air about a training schedule for the HIM. I know I should be starting now to be ready for that distance in October

I would very much like to join your group for guidance as I work toward my main goal for this year

2010-04-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2796851

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-16 2:56 PM

The motivation I have, the knowledge and understanding of training techniques, how to get the most out of my workouts, general Triathlon topics such as gear and what to expect on race day are areas I would like to have help.

I have my first tri-sprint race next weekend (very nervous and excited). I have been training for this for about 3 months now. I started my transition 9 months ago at 260lbs and am currently 194. At 6'2" I feel I am getting close to a good weight and I am able to swim, bike, and run the sprint distances without issue. My major goal for this year is a HIM in October. I have identifed a few races over the next 3 months to help me prepare (a couple of sprints and atleast 1 Olympic distance) but after that I really am up in the air about a training schedule for the HIM. I know I should be starting now to be ready for that distance in October

I would very much like to join your group for guidance as I work toward my main goal for this year

Shannon, Congratulation on your accomplishments!

You have come to the right place! We can focus on your short term goal (first sprint) and then we can take a step back and get you ready for the rest of the season (i.e. race selection and training)

Where is your race next weekend? Is there anything specific that is making you nervous?
2010-04-16 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
the race next weekend is in Flower Mound, Tx .. 275 yard pool swim, 11 mile ride, and 5K run ... I figured that these are good first race distances. I guess just nervous becuase I dont know what to expect on race day. I know when to get up, what to eat and how long before the race to eat, I have watched a few vidoes about setting up my transition area. But i just dont know what to expect on race day. I have heard some stories about pool swims getting a little scrazy as people try and pass others, etc. I dont feel confident yet enough with the bike to have my shoes locked in and me trying to get into them on the fly, things like that ... Also, how hard should I push my training next week leading up to the race? Should I back off and just take a few shorter rides,runs, and swims or with the short distance does that matter?

2010-04-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2796943

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-16 3:33 PM the race next weekend is in Flower Mound, Tx .. 275 yard pool swim, 11 mile ride, and 5K run ... I figured that these are good first race distances. I guess just nervous becuase I dont know what to expect on race day. I know when to get up, what to eat and how long before the race to eat, I have watched a few vidoes about setting up my transition area. But i just dont know what to expect on race day. I have heard some stories about pool swims getting a little scrazy as people try and pass others, etc. I dont feel confident yet enough with the bike to have my shoes locked in and me trying to get into them on the fly, things like that ... Also, how hard should I push my training next week leading up to the race? Should I back off and just take a few shorter rides,runs, and swims or with the short distance does that matter?
People starting out should not be attempting a flying mount or dismount!

Set-up a mock transition area and practice. Something as simple as buckling your helmet can become a monumental task on race day. I would suggest as you move from the pool to T1 to take off your cap and goggles. You won't have a wetsuit so that is one less thing to worry about. You may want to consider a one-piece tri suit. This way you can wear it for the swim, bike, and run and you don't have to worry about putting a shirt on your wet body after the swim (it is harder to do than it sounds). If you go with the one-piece suit, make sure you wear it a few times before race day. Rule #1 is NEVER try anything new on race day. Also a race belt is a better option than having your number pinned on your shirt. Fasten the number to the belt before the race and simply put the belt on in T1 and you are good to go. If the race director wants a number on your back during the bike and on your front during the run you can just spin the belt around. Make sure your helmet is buckled before you remove your bike from the rack in T1 and is not unbuckled until you re-rack your bike in T2. Once your transition area is set-up, take time to locate the swim in, bike out, bike in, and run out in transition (these might be at some of the same locations depending on the layout of transition). Once you locate each in and out location, physically walk through the transition area and identify landmarks so you can easily find your bike. It can get confusing trying to find your bike when they are all racked in T1.

I hope I didn't make you more nervous or confused. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
2010-04-16 3:00 PM

User image

St. Louis
I need some good motivation and a mentor. I just completed my first sprint on 4/10 (0.5m/10m/4m) in 1:25:53, and got the tri bug, which I knew I would. I'm competing in St. Anthony's (OLY) on 4/25 in St. Pete, FL with a goal time of 3:20.

My story: Played hockey in college and studied engineering, graduated, stopped working out and started sitting at a desk, then got out of shape and overweight. About two years ago I was tired of feeling, well... blah, I got back into the gym and started running. Last year I started swimming, and this year I got into tri's. In the last two years I've dropped 25lbs and I'm now back to my college weight.
I'm very competitive with myself and would like some tips from experienced triathletes to better my results.
2010-04-16 3:03 PM

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-16 3:33 PM the race next weekend is in Flower Mound, Tx .. 275 yard pool swim, 11 mile ride, and 5K run ... I figured that these are good first race distances. I guess just nervous becuase I dont know what to expect on race day. I know when to get up, what to eat and how long before the race to eat, I have watched a few vidoes about setting up my transition area. But i just dont know what to expect on race day. I have heard some stories about pool swims getting a little scrazy as people try and pass others, etc. I dont feel confident yet enough with the bike to have my shoes locked in and me trying to get into them on the fly, things like that ... Also, how hard should I push my training next week leading up to the race? Should I back off and just take a few shorter rides,runs, and swims or with the short distance does that matter?

Oh I forgot, "backing off" before the race is called tapering. Most people won't taper before a sprint but this is an individual thing. I typically won't do anything the day before a sprint. I will check the bike and make sure nothing is loose or rattling and make sure it is shifting properly. On race day, once my transition area is set-up, I will go for a quick run with some pick-ups and then try to get in the water before the start of race for about 10 min.
2010-04-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2797019

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-16 4:00 PM I need some good motivation and a mentor. I just completed my first sprint on 4/10 (0.5m/10m/4m) in 1:25:53, and got the tri bug, which I knew I would. I'm competing in St. Anthony's (OLY) on 4/25 in St. Pete, FL with a goal time of 3:20.

My story: Played hockey in college and studied engineering, graduated, stopped working out and started sitting at a desk, then got out of shape and overweight. About two years ago I was tired of feeling, well... blah, I got back into the gym and started running. Last year I started swimming, and this year I got into tri's. In the last two years I've dropped 25lbs and I'm now back to my college weight.
I'm very competitive with myself and would like some tips from experienced triathletes to better my results.

Welcome to the Tri World. I hope you realize that there is not a cure for the "tri bug" hahahaha. St. Anthony's is a great race! I will be happy to help in anyway I can. What do you think is your greatest challenge as you approach the St. Anthony's race?
2010-04-16 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Thanks for the tips Jon - I was going to lay everything out the day before hand like I would in the transition, but practicing a couple of time between now and then sounds like a good idea, I also didnt think about the walkthrough and identifying certain things that will help me find my transition area during the race

excellent!

Edited by se7930 2010-04-16 3:10 PM

2010-04-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2797047

User image

St. Louis
My greatest challenge at St. A's is going to be the swim without a doubt. I'm going without a wetsuit, I want to race with my age group - not be in the "wetsuit pack." I guess they are planning on having the wetsuit wave last. I shocked myself with my swim last week, 0.5 miles in 13 mins (lightning fast for me, as I haven't swam competitively since I was 12 years old). I guess race mentality took over. I'm working on form and joined a masters swim class a few weeks ago.

I'm getting a race belt this time too, putting my shirt on with the number pinned to it was quite a task last week. My T1 was 8:42, average time was around 3:30 and moved me back about 15 positions - chalk that up as a lesson learned. Looking forward to St. A's, I've heard nothing but awesome things about it.
2010-04-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2797079

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-16 4:20 PM My greatest challenge at St. A's is going to be the swim without a doubt. I'm going without a wetsuit, I want to race with my age group - not be in the "wetsuit pack." I guess they are planning on having the wetsuit wave last. I shocked myself with my swim last week, 0.5 miles in 13 mins (lightning fast for me, as I haven't swam competitively since I was 12 years old). I guess race mentality took over. I'm working on form and joined a masters swim class a few weeks ago.

I'm getting a race belt this time too, putting my shirt on with the number pinned to it was quite a task last week. My T1 was 8:42, average time was around 3:30 and moved me back about 15 positions - chalk that up as a lesson learned. Looking forward to St. A's, I've heard nothing but awesome things about it.

It is amazing how much time putting a shirt on a wet body takes. Add a pinned number to the shirt and it becomes almost impossible.

If you can, try to get some open water swimming in before the race. Go with a friend or a group and practice drafting. If you can get on a fast pair of feet it can save you as much as 30% of your energy or make you go 30% faster. Drafting is harder than it sounds. One big mistake that people make when drafting is that they stop sighting. Don't assume the person that your are drafting is going in a straight line.
2010-04-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2797098

User image

St. Louis
Good point on the drafting. I didn't do that on my first race, since I'm so new I don't know all the etiquette of the sport yet and didn't want to annoy someone experienced. So when I encountered feet I backed off a bit.  At wave start I stayed toward the outside and back with all the other newbies, but ended up passing quite a few of them. I'll try it with my swim group, we have a swim planned Wednesday at race site.
2010-04-16 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Hey Jon!

I'm just getting started with tri's so can use all the help I can get!

Story:
I'm 35 and grew up being involved in competitive sports, then I had to have my right knee reconstructed twice, and broke my back twice, which kind of limited what I was able to do for a little while.  I lost about 40lbs last year and have been fighting to keep it off ever since, with this last month seeing me gain back about 10, which I'm going to lose.  I got tired of working out just for the sake of working out, so decided to try something completely new to me - and of course there's the 'why suck at one sport when you can suck at three... all in the same day!

I just completed my first super sprint (300m s/15km b/3.5km r) in just under an hour and I've got 2 sprints coming up followed by an Olympic distance.  I'm good with the swimming and biking, but running is my absolute nemesis! 

Hope you've got room for me

2010-04-16 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
I'd like to join the group if I may.

I come from a run background, meaning I've been running off and on for about 5 yrs but taking it more seriously in the last two.  I am doing my first Boston in a couple days and I'm more nervous than I've ever been for a race because I have a couple nagging injuries (calf tweak, PF) that could make me DNF since I don't want to blow the rest of the season. 

My first triathlon is a small half length June 6th.  I'm considering doing Steelheader at the end of July to get a bigger race experience.  My A Race this year is the Detroit Marathon, and I'd like to go sub 3.  I thought I do that last fall but didn't have the mpw.

Right now I'm single with no pets and the job is mostly 9-5.  I'm 39 and generally happy with my weight (lost 60 lbs to get here).  So I'd like to see how this year goes, bump up to a full length next year and consider trying to qualify for Kona probably in 2012 depending on what my life is looking like and how my skills and fitness develop (I feel like I'm almost there in the run at this point).  As it turns out, I love riding. And the swimming is coming along fine (I grew up on a lake so at least I'm very comfortable in the water if not terribly fast yet). 

The biggest question I have now is which full length to sign up for.  I live in MI and have a moderately limited budget.  The LBS where I got my bike and got fitted may start doing an annual IMFL trip with a group of people.  Obviously IMMOO and IMKY are relatively easy drives.  I could stay with a friend if I did IMAZ, but getting there would be a haul.  I suppose IMLP isn't that far of a drive either when it comes down to it.

And I have a bunch of stupid little questions that are so stupid and little they don't warrant their own thread on the main board.

Edited by Aneides 2010-04-16 3:48 PM

2010-04-16 3:49 PM

Hi,

I would like to join the group.  I am graduating Virginia Tech in May and just got an itch to do a tri.  I workout 6 days a week usually twice a day.  I mix a lot of hitt along with training for strength.  I also do Brazilian Jujitsu.  I am in good shape but feel like this will be a good new challenge since my training is for short periods compared to a tri.  I am planning on competing in the Xterra race in Richmond VA in the championship distance(i think that is the olympic distance).  So I kind of have no idea what to do with nutrition.  I have a good diet but I have what most people would call a weird diet.  It is called the "warrior diet" but I really enjoy it for my current goals but think it is not appropriate for endurance training.  I basically only eat a small snack(1 or 2 poached eggs and some berries) after my a.m workout and same after the midday to pm workout.  Then around 5-6pm I eat a huge meal with lots of fresh veggies (raw and cooked) and some kind of lean meat usually chicken or turkey some ground beef when I train really hard.  usually finish with some variety of fruits.   Where do I begin?  I think swimming will be my biggest challenge!  I will be using a mountain bike for my events.  Next year I plan on completing an International Ironman as my goal.  I am a motivated individual but mainly need some kind of plan.  I know my fair share about training for strength, speed, explosiveness, and short intense blend of cardio and strength, but I don't think these will help in this kind of event.  Sorry that short bio got out of hand...
2010-04-16 3:59 PM

Also I havn't bought the mountain bike yet but have biked in the past.  I don't know what bike I should get since I'm trying to spend less than $400.00.  Any advice or just go to a local bike shop?

Is overtraining a big concern with training for the Ironman?  I have talked to people that recommend doing some strength training along with the sport specific stuff but none of the online programs mention strength training...just the typical swim 30 mins, next day run 30 mins, next day bike 45 mins...I just made this training schedule up.  Here is one someone sent me.

M: Swim 30-45/Strength 30-45
T: run 30 (intervals or hills)
W: 2.5 hr ride with hills
th: Run 60-90min + strenght
Fri: off or strength (if not on thur)
Sa: long Run + swim 60
Su: long ride

Just seems like there is a thin line between progression and overtraining here...

Edited by mcox06 2010-04-16 4:06 PM
2010-04-16 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2797134

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-16 4:43 PM Good point on the drafting. I didn't do that on my first race, since I'm so new I don't know all the etiquette of the sport yet and didn't want to annoy someone experienced. So when I encountered feet I backed off a bit.  At wave start I stayed toward the outside and back with all the other newbies, but ended up passing quite a few of them. I'll try it with my swim group, we have a swim planned Wednesday at race site.
Backing off is the right thing to do. You just need to be close to benefit from the draft. You don't want to be slapping the feet ahead of you Try drafting off the hip too. The benefits are not as extreme but it will aid your swim.
2010-04-16 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2797142

User image

Master
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-04-16 4:45 PM Hey Jon!

I'm just getting started with tri's so can use all the help I can get!

Story:
I'm 35 and grew up being involved in competitive sports, then I had to have my right knee reconstructed twice, and broke my back twice, which kind of limited what I was able to do for a little while.  I lost about 40lbs last year and have been fighting to keep it off ever since, with this last month seeing me gain back about 10, which I'm going to lose.  I got tired of working out just for the sake of working out, so decided to try something completely new to me - and of course there's the 'why suck at one sport when you can suck at three... all in the same day!

I just completed my first super sprint (300m s/15km b/3.5km r) in just under an hour and I've got 2 sprints coming up followed by an Olympic distance.  I'm good with the swimming and biking, but running is my absolute nemesis! 

Hope you've got room for me

Monica, welcome! It sounds like you have endured a lot. If you can go through all that a triathlon is a walk in the park. I think we can offer you some suggestions on improving your run.
2010-04-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2797152

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - CLOSED
mcox06 - 2010-04-16 4:49 PM Hi,

I would like to join the group.  I am graduating Virginia Tech in May and just got an itch to do a tri.  I workout 6 days a week usually twice a day.  I mix a lot of hitt along with training for strength.  I also do Brazilian Jujitsu.  I am in good shape but feel like this will be a good new challenge since my training is for short periods compared to a tri.  I am planning on competing in the Xterra race in Richmond VA in the championship distance(i think that is the olympic distance).  So I kind of have no idea what to do with nutrition.  I have a good diet but I have what most people would call a weird diet.  It is called the "warrior diet" but I really enjoy it for my current goals but think it is not appropriate for endurance training.  I basically only eat a small snack(1 or 2 poached eggs and some berries) after my a.m workout and same after the midday to pm workout.  Then around 5-6pm I eat a huge meal with lots of fresh veggies (raw and cooked) and some kind of lean meat usually chicken or turkey some ground beef when I train really hard.  usually finish with some variety of fruits.   Where do I begin?  I think swimming will be my biggest challenge!  I will be using a mountain bike for my events.  Next year I plan on completing an International Ironman as my goal.  I am a motivated individual but mainly need some kind of plan.  I know my fair share about training for strength, speed, explosiveness, and short intense blend of cardio and strength, but I don't think these will help in this kind of event.  Sorry that short bio got out of hand...
A plan is a great thing to have. Diets are very personal. For example, I know many people who are vegetarians and are competitive in triathlons. I would recommend a more balanced diet but we can look at it more closely.

Edited by jonmetz 2010-04-16 4:27 PM

2010-04-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2797169

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-16 4:59 PM Also I havn't bought the mountain bike yet but have biked in the past.  I don't know what bike I should get since I'm trying to spend less than $400.00.  Any advice or just go to a local bike shop?

Is overtraining a big concern with training for the Ironman?  I have talked to people that recommend doing some strength training along with the sport specific stuff but none of the online programs mention strength training...just the typical swim 30 mins, next day run 30 mins, next day bike 45 mins...I just made this training schedule up.  Here is one someone sent me.

M: Swim 30-45/Strength 30-45
T: run 30 (intervals or hills)
W: 2.5 hr ride with hills
th: Run 60-90min + strenght
Fri: off or strength (if not on thur)
Sa: long Run + swim 60
Su: long ride

Just seems like there is a thin line between progression and overtraining here...
You might be hard pressed to find a new bike for under $400.00 have you checked the classified section on BT? I know people have had luck on ebay and craigslist as well but you really need to know what you are looking for.

Yes, overtraining can be an issue. Every workout needs to have a purpose (i.e. speed, strength, power etc.). "Long Ride" doesn't work for me. In the off season my athletes do strenght training but will taper off that as we move into the season. I prefer to see my athletes sticking to some basic core work and neuromuscular activation. I build these components into a periodization plan that allows time to the body to recover and rebuild.

2010-04-16 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2797147

User image

Master
Aneides - 2010-04-16 4:47 PM I'd like to join the group if I may.

I come from a run background, meaning I've been running off and on for about 5 yrs but taking it more seriously in the last two.  I am doing my first Boston in a couple days and I'm more nervous than I've ever been for a race because I have a couple nagging injuries (calf tweak, PF) that could make me DNF since I don't want to blow the rest of the season. 

My first triathlon is a small half length June 6th.  I'm considering doing Steelheader at the end of July to get a bigger race experience.  My A Race this year is the Detroit Marathon, and I'd like to go sub 3.  I thought I do that last fall but didn't have the mpw.

Right now I'm single with no pets and the job is mostly 9-5.  I'm 39 and generally happy with my weight (lost 60 lbs to get here).  So I'd like to see how this year goes, bump up to a full length next year and consider trying to qualify for Kona probably in 2012 depending on what my life is looking like and how my skills and fitness develop (I feel like I'm almost there in the run at this point).  As it turns out, I love riding. And the swimming is coming along fine (I grew up on a lake so at least I'm very comfortable in the water if not terribly fast yet). 

The biggest question I have now is which full length to sign up for.  I live in MI and have a moderately limited budget.  The LBS where I got my bike and got fitted may start doing an annual IMFL trip with a group of people.  Obviously IMMOO and IMKY are relatively easy drives.  I could stay with a friend if I did IMAZ, but getting there would be a haul.  I suppose IMLP isn't that far of a drive either when it comes down to it.

And I have a bunch of stupid little questions that are so stupid and little they don't warrant their own thread on the main board.
Congrats on Boston!

Steelhead is one of my favorite 70.3s. You will love it. Which IM? well lets see...do you like the heat? how are you on hills? Do you want a wetsuit legal race? What about swimming in cold water? IMKY is the easiest to get into via online registration. The best way to get a slot in IMFL, IMAZ, and IMMOO is to volunteer the year before. There are a few other tricks to getting in as well. For example last year at the Providence 70.3 they we registering people for IMLP.

You can always email me directly if you want more specific info on the IM races or to ask your other "stupid" questions.
2010-04-16 4:31 PM

2010-04-16 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2797240

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-16 5:31 PM So would you recommend just a generic program like the ones found on this site or http://www.ironmanpower.com/training/Weeks.aspx?weeknumber=2/>
I don't care to have the fastest time I just want to finish with a respectable time.
I would recommend having someone write a plan specifically for you and making the appropriate adjustments as you progress.. However, I know that is not a reality for everyone. I think the plans on BT are decent. But you have to remember, just as you said, the plans are generic. When I started, before I was a coach, I used generic plans for my shorter races. I did hire a coach when the distances got longer. My experience with a coach was not a good one. He knew the technical aspect of triathlon but was not a good teacher. It was actually his poor coaching that got me to become a coach because I knew with my background in education I could do it better. Sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch but it is really how I feel. With that said, more people than not finish an Ironman with out a coach. Take a look at some of the generic plans and we can evaluate them and even do some tweaking if you want.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9