BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-05 11:09 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
NAME: Newbz/David

STORY: I'm just a young guy trying to make it in this crazy world. I'm currently living and working in philly, working as a freelance photographer, triathlon, and rowing coach. For those of you that know rowing/philly at all i coach out of vesper boat club. I came into triathlon 5 years ago at the age of 18 after hurting myself rowing, and looking for a new outlet sports wise stumbled on triathlon. i've been hooked ever since and am starting into my 5th season this spring.

FAMILY STATUS: Have a wonderful g/f that also races triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: currently sitting on roughly 15 hours a week, slowly building into the season, with a focus on short course (sprint and olympic distances).

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: so far i've run 5 running races this year, done relatively well for me, and had a blast. my tri season kicks off in two weeks:-)

2010 RACES: miami sprint tri, little smokies half IM, toyota half IM, american TTT NC, rest of schedule TBD

WEIGHTLOSS: 3 more pounds to go

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love coaching and working with other athletes even more than i like racing myself, and i think that i have a lot of experience to draw from and help share with others. That said, and part of what makes a forum like this great, is that we can all bounce ideas off each other, and collectively learn more than with just one or two people talking.
Lets start this season off right, all ages, experience levels, and guys and girls welcome!!

Edited by newbz 2010-04-07 9:25 AM

2010-04-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is open!!!!
cool - I'm in!

NAME: barelfly - Jeremy

STORY: In my third year of tris - only completed 3 sprints thus far, April 18 will be my 4th. Love being on my road bike and just riding, and starting to appreciate the run and swim legs much more than when I started. I enjoy learning about the sport from others and thus the reason I join your group!

FAMILY STATUS: married with two kids (9 and 5).

CURRENT TRAINING: 5-6 hours a week, will be building a bit later in summer towards the Oly distance tri I want to do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: none - April 18 is the first race of the season for me.

2010 RACES: Spring Fling, Chile Harvest, ElephantMan, Run for the Zoo, Jingle Bell

Thanks for hosting - I look forward to the next few months!
2010-04-06 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
welcome aboard!
2010-04-06 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2772803

User image

Champion
also to any looking to join, ALL experience levels are welcomed from seasoned racers to those just starting.
2010-04-06 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

Ooo! I want in as well please!

2010-04-06 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Newbz/David!

I am currently in my second season of Tri and am training for a late season HIM (Sept). If possible I would like to join your group!

Thanks!
Stefanie

2010-04-06 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2772864

User image

Champion
you guys are both more than welcome! we'll close this off at 8-12 people depending on how active people are.

You have to fill out the bio part and/or make up your own though to join;-)
2010-04-06 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Count me in.  Will add a short bio. soon (tonight).

jeff

2010-04-06 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Sorry for the double post.

NAME: nc452010 - jeff

STORY: I've never raced in ANY of the 3 disciplines (or anything else).  I picked up mtn. bikes for my wife and I a few weeks ago.  I love riding it.....but also found I loved riding it on the road.  I did some road miles on the mtn bike.....but started wanting a roadie.  I picked my Cannondale CAAD 8 up, Friday.  I went for my 3rd ride on it, tonight (haven't been on a bike in probably 30yrs).  I feel a LOT more comfortable!

I started thinking about a sprint tri.....as I was picking out road bikes.  I've been running for a SHORT time.....and I'm already training at over my event distance, there.

Swimming?  I'm making strides.....but have a LONG ways to go.  1st time in the pool, I went 50yds and had to stop (this was last Wed).  Today (after seeing a coach....and getting in the pool 4 additional times)....I was able to do 8X50yds...with some rest in there, between 50's.  Progress!

FAMILY STATUS: Married (6yr anniv. was this past Sat!).  We have a son (By my wife's previous marriage) who'll turn 18, Friday.  Wish us luck. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I made my log public.  I'm currently swimming (just started training) about 4-5X/WK.  I'm trying to mix in at least 2 training sessions in the bike and run.  I ran my first 10K (2X my event distance), this past Sunday.  I rode my 1st 20mi. bike ride on the roadie, tonight...and avg'd a little over 16.5mph on the race course.

I'm running my 1st 5K ever, Saturday AM.  I'll do some more of these as my date for my sprint (6/20) draws nearer.  I "might" also do a sprint on 6/5....IF my swimming comes along.

I'm 45 (46, in Oct).  I signed up for this to see if I was capable.  I know I am, now.  I just need to do the work to make this endeavor RESPECTABLE.

Thanks for hosting

Edited by nc452010 2010-04-06 10:46 PM
2010-04-06 10:35 PM

User image

Hi David,

I'd like to join
2010-04-06 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Would love to join this group

NAME: BoobieDr (yes, but not that kind...I do medical research in breast cancer)....Brad  

STORY: This is my first year, and my first offical Tri is on May 22nd (Memphis in May Sprint).  I swam in high school, was on a crew team in college.  Then i fell off the exercise wagon for a few years.  Got back into it with running while working on my PhD.  Got my road bike about a year ago, and putzed around with it, did a few 50 mile group rides for charity, and took the next step and decided to train for Tris.  Not a fast runner, but getting better, not a fast swimmer, but my form keeps me fresh, and still a newb at biking (the area i feel i need the most work).  

FAMILY STATUS: the most wonderful girlfriend on the planet 

CURRENT TRAINING: 8-10 hours most weeks, now that i have my garmin my logs will be more current

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: haven't done one, May 22nd is the first

2010 RACES: Music City 1/2 marathon, Memphis in May (sprint), Hickory lake Tri (sprint), Chattanoga Waterfront (if training progresses, Olympic), Omaha Tri (Olympic..."A" race)

Hope i can be a productive member of the group and can learn alot from everyone here.  Thanks!

2010-04-06 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2772880

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-06 9:35 PM

Would love to join this group

NAME: BoobieDr (yes, but not that kind...I do medical research in breast cancer)....Brad

STORY: This is my first year, and my first offical Tri is on May 22nd (Memphis in May Sprint). I swam in high school, was on a crew team in college. Then i fell off the exercise wagon for a few years. Got back into it with running while working on my PhD. Got my road bike about a year ago, and putzed around with it, did a few 50 mile group rides for charity, and took the next step and decided to train for Tris. Not a fast runner, but getting better, not a fast swimmer, but my form keeps me fresh, and still a newb at biking (the area i feel i need the most work).

FAMILY STATUS: the most wonderful girlfriend on the planet

CURRENT TRAINING: 8-10 hours most weeks, now that i have my garmin my logs will be more current

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: haven't done one, May 22nd is the first

2010 RACES: Music City 1/2 marathon, Memphis in May (sprint), Hickory lake Tri (sprint), Chattanoga Waterfront (if training progresses, Olympic), Omaha Tri (Olympic..."A" race)

Hope i can be a productive member of the group and can learn alot from everyone here. Thanks!

Where did you row?!?! If you have not been around for this conversation i rowed for a long time, coach now.

to everyone else, welcome!! At this rate this may be the first time my group has filled up in one day.
2010-04-06 10:47 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I would like to join please!

NAME: Carl

STORY: I'm a freshman at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.  I'm a member of the triathlon team here.  I have been multisport training and racing since June of 2009.  I have a small amount of running experience and 2 years of swimming experience.  I'm relatively new to triathlon but I spend as much time as possible gaining as much knowledge as possible when it comes to training and racing.

FAMILY STATUS: Single!  However, I do have two parents, a sister, and a dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: 6-10 hours for the past 4 months.  Will bump up significantly for the summer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: OSU Indoor Triathlon

2010 RACES:
USAT Collegiate National Championship, Lubbock Texas    4/17/2010 
Burns Park Run    10k, Ann Arbor Michigan  5/2/2010        
Triceratops Triathlon(Trex series #1), Brighton Michigan   6/23/2010         
 Steelhead 70.3, Benton Harbor Michigan    7/31/2010                     
 T-Rex  Tirathlon  (Trex series #3), Brighton Michigan    8/18/2010   
 Big House Big Heart 10k, Ann Arbor Michigan    10/3/2010           
MSU Collegiate Sprint, Lansing Michigan    Date:TBA              
  Detroit Free Press Marathon 10/17/10

This summer I am looking forward to training and improving myself as much as I can.  I love the sport of triathlon, and I hope to become competitive in the near future.

User image

Veteran
ok a Bio... You talked me into it Wink

NAME: Stefanier/ Stefanie... Yeah I know my screenname is really original

STORY: Well let's see... I am 28 years old and in my second season of triathlon. Married for almost 4 years and luckily my husband is also into triathlons. I started running back in March 2007 after deciding I wanted to run a marathon. It took me almost 2 years to accomplish my marathon goal but I started tri training that same week. LOL I am ambitious. Triathlon was a much more natural progression for me as I really enjoy swimming. I competed in 5 triathlons last season and have 5 scheduled this season.

Keep my logs on here updated daily and also log my activity on breakingthetape.com and sporttracker.

FAMILY STATUS: My husband is wonderful and is also my training partner. However, I might mention that he is just about a foot taller than I am and is extremely more talented than I am. Lets just say I get insanely jealous at times, in a good but probably unhealthy way.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am using the BT free HIM Training plan. That means 9 workouts a week in 6 days (I love and need my rest day). Currently 3 workouts a week per sport. I would love to add in some core work and strenght training if I ever had the time.

2010 RACES:
2 Half Marathons completed so far and an assorment of other distance running races
I am planning a super late Half marathon to see if I can hit a PR (Chicamauga in Nov)
But really my focus for the year is triathon

Triathlon Wise
6.27.10- Irongirl Atlanta (Sprint)
7.11.10- Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic
8.21.10- Tri PTC (Sprint)
9.26.10- Augusta 70.3
10.31.10- Tri Cooter (Sprint)

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight has always been a struggle but I am finally to a place where it does not bother me. I currently sit at 150 at 5'4 and have held that exact weight for over a year. I would like to lose another 15 lbs but honestly I really would like to focus more on toning that necessairly a number. If I could be a tone and muscule 150, i would be way ok with that.

Prior to my weight loss, I weighted over 200lbs but have worked to take and keep it off. My weight loss journey has been 5 years in the making.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR OUT OF MY MENTOR EXPERIENCE: I am a fairly open book and am on the computer frequently, so expect to see me often. In addition to BT, I also blog as a way to give back to the athletic community and to keep family, friends and the blogging world updated. I encourage as much as I ask questions. Honestly I need support, motivation, guidance, push (Etc) from this group. My husband tries so hard to give me advice and guidance but I am wickedly competitive with him for no reason really. Needless to say it doesn't always make for the best of training sessions.

Edited by stefanier 2010-04-06 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2772884

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
newbz - 2010-04-06 10:40 PM  Where did you row?!?! If you have not been around for this conversation i rowed for a long time, coach now. to everyone else, welcome!! At this rate this may be the first time my group has filled up in one day.

Nice!  I rowed at Washington State '96-2000.  Lightweight, 8+ and 4+....port, seat 2, and would sometimes stroke the 4.  Loved it!  Looking at being "somewhat" involved in the Nashville Rowing Club (just moved here in December), but not sure i have the time to do it all.  Wouldn't hurt my endurance, thats for sure.

Where did you row?

2010-04-06 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Alright, alright

NAME: Tania

STORY: After graduating college I gained a lot of weight and in 2007 I finally had enough and lost 40+ lbs. Did the gym thing but got bored fall of 2008, stopped working out gained 15 lbs. 2009 I decided to finally train for triathlon and get moving again. Did my first (and only so far) triathlon last October and had an absolute blast. Got hooked and looking forward to improving on my second season.

FAMILY STATUS: Great bf who is a runner and is wanting to do tris but hates the water and can't really swim. So, being the sweetheart that I am, I got him swim lessons this week!

CURRENT TRAINING: 5-10 HRS, not consistent yet. I just got done with half marathon training and needed a short break but tri training will start in earnest this month. Sprint and Oly distance focus.

THIS YR'S RACES SO FAR: Resolution run 10k, Rock N Roll Half Marathon, Tour of Dallas...first 10k, half marathon, and bike tour all within 3 months....

2010 RACES: (tentative) Playtri OWS, Metroplex Sprint, Tour de Italia, Disco Oly, Hotter N Hell 100, Prairieman Aquabike, Toyota US Open

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to loose at least 6 pounds but 10 would be optimal.

Thanks for having me, I'm excited about this season!

2010-04-06 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2772897

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-06 9:47 PM

newbz - 2010-04-06 10:40 PM Where did you row?!?! If you have not been around for this conversation i rowed for a long time, coach now. to everyone else, welcome!! At this rate this may be the first time my group has filled up in one day.

Nice! I rowed at Washington State '96-2000. Lightweight, 8+ and 4+....port, seat 2, and would sometimes stroke the 4. Loved it! Looking at being "somewhat" involved in the Nashville Rowing Club (just moved here in December), but not sure i have the time to do it all. Wouldn't hurt my endurance, thats for sure.

Where did you row?

Heavy and ltwt 4+ and 8+ and then national winning open pair in high school for dublin (out of columbus OH), then while i was at denison for the U23 team for a year,

coaching wise, Upper arlington in OH, a year at the university of notre dame, now at vesper boat club in philly.
2010-04-06 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Forgot to add.....

I'm an AVID traditional bowhunter.  I admittedly got into this to get in shape for my Sept. elk hunting trip to CO.  We'll be hunting at elevations ranging between 10K and 14K'. 

I'm finding I love this.  I have no idea how far I'll take it.  Hard to say, right now.  I could see me doing (already planning them) longer sprints.....and possibly an OLY distance tri, someday.  Baby steps, though.

Currently, I'm 6'1" (don't see this INcreasing!) and 195#'s.  Former D1 collegiate baseball player (catcher)....former PGA Professional.  I really just wanna see what I'm capable of.

No debilitating injuries (though I have a big zipper on my stomach and have had rotator cuff surgery).  So...NO excuses.  I feel great, right now.  I wanna go to my 6/20 event at 185#'s.....and maintain that (or get to 180#'s) before I head to CO.

2010-04-06 10:58 PM

User image

NAME: Jason

Story:  Always involved in sports one way or another.  Pick up basketball games, flag football, softball, weight lifting, etc.  Despite my activity, I started to put on weight after college and got up near 200 lbs (I'm 5'6") in February of 2009.  Changed my eating/drinking habits a little, lost some weight to about 175, then decided in June to do a December marathon (Honolulu...yes...I live in Hawaii).  In the middle of that training, I lost another 15 pounds or so and picked up cycling and swimming along the way.  Met my sub 4 hour marathon goal, and have now set my sight on tris.  Just did my first sprint in March, and have an Olympic coming up in May.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING:  Training for my Oly in may, but my volume is a bit higher than most of the training plans.  I'm already targeting the same marathon in December, so I'm trying to keep my running base up, but I'm also doing an OW series that goes up to 2.3 miles this summer...so I'm also trying to get my swim volume up as well.  The goal being to do a HIM next year, and possibly an IM...if not, an IM in 2012.  My personality leans towards the endurance events.  The sprint was super fun...but I don't think I would be interested in being a good "sprinter" in the long term.

THIS YEARS RACES SO FAR:  Just my first sprint tri.  750 OWS, 11.3 mile bike, 3.6 mile run...1:21:32.  Exactly in the middle of the pack...so very happy for my first.

2010 REMAINING RACES: 2 Olys, 4 OWS, 1 marathon, a marathon readiness series (15k, 20k, 25k, 30k, HM) which won't be done at race effort, and possibly a century ride.

WEIGHT LOSS: I could lose about 10 more pounds of fat, but I like to keep happy and balance my life with a few beers, a few cookies, and some fatty beef from time to time.  I also wouldn't mind shedding a few pounds of upper body muslce that is just bulk from my weight lifting days...I could bench press 300 pounds at one point...what for...I have no idea.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I have a lot to learn, and am a vacuum for new knowledge.  I'm addicted to the sport, and wake up every morning looking forward to training.

2010-04-06 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2772909

User image

Champion
nc452010 - 2010-04-06 9:57 PM

Forgot to add.....

I'm an AVID traditional bowhunter. I admittedly got into this to get in shape for my Sept. elk hunting trip to CO. We'll be hunting at elevations ranging between 10K and 14K'.

I'm finding I love this. I have no idea how far I'll take it. Hard to say, right now. I could see me doing (already planning them) longer sprints.....and possibly an OLY distance tri, someday. Baby steps, though.

Currently, I'm 6'1" (don't see this INcreasing!) and 195#'s. Former D1 collegiate baseball player (catcher)....former PGA Professional. I really just wanna see what I'm capable of.

No debilitating injuries (though I have a big zipper on my stomach and have had rotator cuff surgery). So...NO excuses. I feel great, right now. I wanna go to my 6/20 event at 185#'s.....and maintain that (or get to 180#'s) before I head to CO.

two questions for you,

first, where in CO? I lived there for the summer, may end up back there next year?

2nd, how was the recovery from the shoulder surgery?

and i grew up bowhunting in ohio:-)
2010-04-06 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Newbz'z/David.

Wow. this sounds like a great group of people. I would love to join this group if there is still room!

A little bit about myself...

Name: Robin

Story: This will be my first year "competing" in triathlons, but I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now!  Finally got up the nerve a few months ago to get serious about it. Have already completed an indoor spring triathlon and it felt soooo good to finish! I come from a background in swimming (all state in high school) - but that was a loooong time ago! My husband rides and I have been getting more into riding over the last few years. My run needs lots of improvement. Anyways, I am super jazzed to be here and have been waiting to get onto a mentor group for what feels like forever.

Family Status: Married with a boy (6) and a little girl (4).  I only work part time from home, so my hours are super flexible and if I am efficient with my time can have quite a bit of time for workouts.

Current Training: 6-8 hours per week, usually only get 5 days in. Working on the silver plan beginner sprint plan - but I don't adhere to it strictly. I live in Wyoming and if it is snowing outside (like now!) I usually don't end up biking or running.  That should get better as the weather gets better.

Races: Completed an indoor sprint triathlon last month and don't have another scheduled till July (Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon)

I can post more later if I join your group!

Robin

2010-04-06 11:02 PM

I sure would love to join!

My name is Jarrod

Experience- absolutely none! I was a wrestler in high school, and never really liked running. My dad died of cancer in Seotember and decided it was time to once again focus on something not only productive, but healthy as well. Today is my 39th day without a cigarette! I started running again about 6 weeks ago after about a year off, and ran my first 10k last week, beating my goal of 1 hour. I am running a half marathon on May 8th to raise money for multiple myeloma, the cancer my dad died from. I have scheduled my first sprint tri on June 27th. Just started riding bikes again, and feel very comfortable. NEED HELP with swimming!

Marital Status: Great g/f and two amazing Italian Greyhounds

Goal:Get back down to 8% body fat, complete my first tri in under 90 minutes, and to compete in 4 tri's this year. AS WELL as make friends here and in the sport!

So, am I in the group??
2010-04-06 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

What got me into fitness?  In 2004, I was engaged to my wife.  Everyone tells me I "outkicked my coverage" with her....lol....and I don't dispute that.  We were at a super bowl party (prior to our marriage), and someone passed me a bowl of chips.  I rested them on my stomach (sitting on the couch).  I went into the bathroom and threw up.  I weighed nearly 240#'s.

I bought a treadmill......and weighed 205, the day we got married (April 3rd).  I got to 190#'s, by Sept..  I don't want to ever go back "there".

Edited by nc452010 2010-04-06 11:03 PM
2010-04-06 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2772918

Expert
Ann Arbor
reloadyour9 - 2010-04-07 12:02 AM I sure would love to join!

My name is Jarrod

Experience- absolutely none! I was a wrestler in high school, and never really liked running. My dad died of cancer in Seotember and decided it was time to once again focus on something not only productive, but healthy as well. Today is my 39th day without a cigarette! I started running again about 6 weeks ago after about a year off, and ran my first 10k last week, beating my goal of 1 hour. I am running a half marathon on May 8th to raise money for multiple myeloma, the cancer my dad died from. I have scheduled my first sprint tri on June 27th. Just started riding bikes again, and feel very comfortable. NEED HELP with swimming!

Marital Status: Great g/f and two amazing Italian Greyhounds

Goal:Get back down to 8% body fat, complete my first tri in under 90 minutes, and to compete in 4 tri's this year. AS WELL as make friends here and in the sport!

So, am I in the group??

Congratulations Jarrod!
2010-04-06 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2772918

User image

Champion
welcome jarrod and robin, and the rest as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105