General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to do a dry run... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-23 6:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: Want to do a dry run...
I'm doing my first sprint tri on Sept 12.  My goal is to finish.  I can do all of the distances separately (400 yd swim, 14 mi bike, 3 mi run), but have no idea what the transitions will feel like (esp from bike to run), so I want to do a quasi-dry run of it.    Our community pool (where I've been swimming all summer) closes on Labor Day, so I'm limited by when I can do it, but I was thinking of the Saturday before the Tri, and was thinking to do the swim, followed by about a 7 mile bike and a 1.5 - 2 mile run, just to get the feel for it.    I have some limitations in that our pool doesn't open until 12:30 each day, so it will be the heat of the day, but am hoping that the abbreviated distances will be OK.  I'm also planning on doing the run on the track right down the street from the pool.

Am I on the right track?  Any suggestions?  Is that too close to the actual event to be doing something like that?    Your experience is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Jen

2009-08-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2364680

Veteran
South Jersey (Cherry Hill)
Subject: RE: Want to do a dry run...
The hardest transition is from bike to run.  You could try doing the full bike and then 2 miles of the run.  I'm not sure how long and intense your training has been, but this should be sufficient.  Not sure that it is necessary to do all three.  But, you ought to do a bike/run.  Give yourself at least two days off before the race.  The last week should be an easy week. 

Good luck! 
2009-08-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2364680

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Want to do a dry run...

X2 on what the previous person said.  The bike to run is what I would focus on.  Knowing how you body will respond after the bike is so helpful.  It will give you some sense on how long it will take to get your running form and pace going.  I am no expert but being a newbie I do at least one to two before each race (did one this morning at the race site for my next sprint).  I was able to get a feel for running up the first hill right out of T2. 

The other thing that I have found helpful is to practice your T1 and T2 transition a couple days before the race to develop your Transition routine.  I generally set-up a transition in my garage entry using a 1.5" PVC pipe hanging it to replicate the bike transition stand and run tot he bike with my wetsuit on, removing my wetsuit (much easier when it is wet) as if I just got out of the swim, con't. on and take the bike up the street  a block or two and return and go through bike to run (T2).  This has been very helpful for me to make sure I work out any kinks before hand and re-set my routines.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to do a dry run... Rss Feed