General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to start with a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-14 12:39 PM

Greenville, Pennsylvania
Subject: where to start with a bike
right now i have an older schwinn le tour bike and i am thinking that i should be riding something else ... what is a good low end bike to start my search... i am 5'8" tall and wastold that i would be a 52-53cm .... or a medium .... any suggestions on where to start my search ... or does anyone have an old bike they are looking to sell ??? thanks

mac

2004-05-14 1:18 PM
in reply to: #24974

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: where to start with a bike
First of all your height does not necessarily dictate what size bike you should buy. That will depend on a few factors such as your inseam, your torso, arm length, etc. Your best best is to find a reputable bike shop and get fitted for a bike. It costs around $100 to get fitted properly for a bike but it is well worth it down the road. Also, the fee is applicable towards the purchase of a bike in most good shops. As for what bike to buy, could say to get a Colnago C-50 with full Campagnolo Record groupo but that would set you back quite a few dollars and it many not be what you need. You have to decide what use you will be making of the bike in order to decide what kind to get. Do you want a bike that you can race on the road with, only for triathlons, long tours, ride on hilly terrain, commute? You need to answer these and quite a few other questions before you even begin looking.
2004-05-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #24974

User image

Master
Subject: RE: where to start with a bike
You should definitely get fitted for whatever bike you buy.

That being said, I recently bought an entry level Fuji and have been very happy with it. Cost me about $350, which is really cheap by most standards. I imagine that other manufacturers have similarly priced beginner bikes as well.

Bill
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to start with a bike Rss Feed