General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon & Elite Field Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-13 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Boston Marathon & Elite Field

With this being an Olympic year, are we going to see the very top runners at Boston and other top marathons? I know that the marathon trials are tomorrow, leaving about 7 1/2 months until the Olympics. Will those that qualify choose to run a race like Boston, or will they just focus on training? Boston would be roughly 3 - 3 1/2 months out from the Olympics.

Countries like Kenya have several runners that can run sub 2:05, so I guess there will still be very fast runners at the major marathons anyway. I guess it could be a good year to be an elite runner who doesn't make an Olympic team if those that qualify choose to not race until the Olympics.

Edited by natethomas2000 2012-01-13 10:01 AM

2012-01-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3988354

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon & Elite Field
natethomas2000 - 2012-01-13 9:00 AM

With this being an Olympic year, are we going to see the very top runners at Boston and other top marathons? I know that the marathon trials are tomorrow, leaving about 7 1/2 months until the Olympics. Will those that qualify choose to run a race like Boston, or will they just focus on training? Boston would be roughly 3 - 3 1/2 months out from the Olympics.

Countries like Kenya have several runners that can run sub 2:05, so I guess there will still be very fast runners at the major marathons anyway. I guess it could be a good year to be an elite runner who doesn't make an Olympic team if those that qualify choose to not race until the Olympics.

I doubt any of the Americans that make the team will run another marathon before London. Kenya will name its Olympic Team on Monday, they do not run their tryouts like the US does.

Just to add. Kenyan gold medalists from the world champs are auto qualifiers for the team so only one mens spot left to be named (Makau was a wild card selection) and two women to be named for the marathon team.

Edited by gerald12 2012-01-13 10:20 AM
2012-01-13 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3988354

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon & Elite Field

I wouldn't expect the marathon majors to see much impact from the Olympics, since most of the fastest marathoners out there won't be going to the Olympics. Kenya will have to leave some 2:03 marathoners out of their Olympic team, not to mention all of their 2:04-2:06 runners. (Are there any good marathoners who aren't from Kenya?)

By the time the fall marathons come around (Chicago, Berlin, New York) there will be plenty of people who feel that they have something to prove, not to mention needing to make some $$ after racing too little because of the Olympics.

As for the Spring majors, London may attract a good field because it's London. Boston may be the primary casualty of Olympic year. ... More chances for you to shine, Nate.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon & Elite Field Rss Feed